• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance Adventure & Prelude Details Revealed

Over on DND Beyond Amy Dallen and Eugenio Vargas discuss the beginning of Shadow of ther Dragon Queen and provide some advice on running it. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1372-running-a-session-zero-for-dragonlance-shadow-of This epic war story begins with an invitation to a friend's funeral and three optional prelude encounters that guide you into the world of Krynn. Amy Dallen is...

Over on DND Beyond Amy Dallen and Eugenio Vargas discuss the beginning of Shadow of ther Dragon Queen and provide some advice on running it.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 11.27.17 AM.png

This epic war story begins with an invitation to a friend's funeral and three optional prelude encounters that guide you into the world of Krynn. Amy Dallen is joined by Eugenio Vargas to share some details about how these opening preludes work and some advice on using them in your own D&D games.

There is also information on the three short 'prelude' adventures which introduce players to the world of Krynn:
  • Eye in the Sky -- ideal for sorcerers, warlocks, wizards, or others seeking to become members of the Mages of High Sorcery.
  • Broken Silence -- ideal for clerics, druids, paladins, and other characters with god-given powers.
  • Scales of War -- ideal for any character and reveals the mysterious draconians.
The article discusses Session Zero for the campaign and outlines what to expect in a Dragonlance game -- war, death, refugees, and so on.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yeah but if we dont say the word, it allows people to make up whatever justifications and definitions they want. Which they can already do (see Monster Manual example) but you know, they need more than being told they can do it...
Clearly it needs to be in bigger letters.

In my experience, non-evil PCs with those jobs exist because the player likes the mechanics, and being evil tends to mess with the party dynamic, so people "go along".

Of course, it doesn't have to be that way. Sometimes a player has something to prove. The old, "there is too such a thing as a good necromancer" thing. Even then, liking the mechanics and maintaining a stable party play a big role.
and again I see nothing here that rings even a little true in my experence... warlocks getting power from devil/demon but being good are a thing for 3 editions.

Remathilis

Legend
True, but why wear all the trappings? You need a pretty...interesting story to be an infernal warlock with an imp familiar who's not evil. A player can play what they want, but certain job descriptions really lend themselves to dark behavior.
I'm not arguing that you're going to be the King of Fluffy Bunnies, but you can certainly play said character as a Neutral, and maybe even a tormented Good with the right story. (A warlock looking to break his infernal contract while a literal shoulder devil tempts him with evil ideas).

If the black order is about as flexible, I'll be satisfied.

Remathilis

Legend
In my experience, non-evil PCs with those jobs exist because the player likes the mechanics, and being evil tends to mess with the party dynamic, so people "go along".

Of course, it doesn't have to be that way. Sometimes a player has something to prove. The old, "there is too such a thing as a good necromancer" thing. Even then, liking the mechanics and maintaining a stable party play a big role.
Or sometimes people want to play edgelords but also want to still be accepted in the party.

I say this as someone who likes tieflings, dhampirs, warlocks, necromancers, and other spooky beotchs.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Or sometimes people want to play edgelords but also want to still be accepted in the party.

I say this as someone who likes tieflings, dhampirs, warlocks, necromancers, and other spooky beotchs.
That's what I mean. If they were being honest about their character, they would be evil. You can see be evil and work with others. Evil doesn't equal stupid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads