Dragonlance Dragonlance Adventure & Prelude Details Revealed

Over on DND Beyond Amy Dallen and Eugenio Vargas discuss the beginning of Shadow of ther Dragon Queen and provide some advice on running it.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 11.27.17 AM.png

This epic war story begins with an invitation to a friend's funeral and three optional prelude encounters that guide you into the world of Krynn. Amy Dallen is joined by Eugenio Vargas to share some details about how these opening preludes work and some advice on using them in your own D&D games.

There is also information on the three short 'prelude' adventures which introduce players to the world of Krynn:
  • Eye in the Sky -- ideal for sorcerers, warlocks, wizards, or others seeking to become members of the Mages of High Sorcery.
  • Broken Silence -- ideal for clerics, druids, paladins, and other characters with god-given powers.
  • Scales of War -- ideal for any character and reveals the mysterious draconians.
The article discusses Session Zero for the campaign and outlines what to expect in a Dragonlance game -- war, death, refugees, and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Quick sidebar: did Goldmoon actually do it first? Because I'm fairly sure the evil clerics were the first on the scene, albeit helping to build up the war effort rather than proselytizing. Verminaard didn't need to see the blue crystal staff to have faith in Takhisis.
Only Takhisis and her cleric(s) beat Goldmoon.

Reynard

Legend
Then have them adventure and find the Disks.
Why? It doesn't seem to serve any important purpose in the adventure. Doing so only serves to adhere to a particular historical lore that serves no purpose other than to demand this thing is true. Allowing other characters-- aka PCs -- to be empowered by the gods doesn't actually endanger the established lore, since we know Goldmoon wasn't the first between Verminaard and others. It feels like grasping at minutiae for no benefit beyond nostalgia.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
Yeah, much more of these prelude adventures in the actual books, please.

One of my gripes with Witchlight is that the inciting incident -- visiting the carnival as kids and having something metaphysical taken from you -- is relegated to an Adventurers League PDF.
What's the name of that one? I could use it, not that I will ever find a party that wants to play Witchlight, but it'd be nice to have just in case.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I mean, I agree. My post was simply to point out to all those who claim "Goldmoon was indisputably the first" that in the very first adventure, this could very well not be the case.
Not really. All the adventure did was potentially change Goldmoon's name and appearance. The PC "Goldmoon" still didn't have clerical powers until the disks were found at the appropriate spot in the story.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Allowing other characters-- aka PCs -- to be empowered by the gods doesn't actually endanger the established lore, since we know Goldmoon wasn't the first between Verminaard and others. It feels like grasping at minutiae for no benefit beyond nostalgia.
This is false. One evil god had clerics. Until Goldmoon that is. Pointing to Verminaard isn't proof of anything other than yet other established lore. It in no way shows or even implies that other gods were around prior to Goldmoon bringing them back. So yes, it does in fact change the established lore unless the PC is a cleric of Takhisis.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases