Dragonlance Dragonlance Adventure & Prelude Details Revealed

Over on DND Beyond Amy Dallen and Eugenio Vargas discuss the beginning of Shadow of ther Dragon Queen and provide some advice on running it. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1372-running-a-session-zero-for-dragonlance-shadow-of This epic war story begins with an invitation to a friend's funeral and three optional prelude encounters that guide you into the world of Krynn. Amy Dallen is...

Over on DND Beyond Amy Dallen and Eugenio Vargas discuss the beginning of Shadow of ther Dragon Queen and provide some advice on running it.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 11.27.17 AM.png

This epic war story begins with an invitation to a friend's funeral and three optional prelude encounters that guide you into the world of Krynn. Amy Dallen is joined by Eugenio Vargas to share some details about how these opening preludes work and some advice on using them in your own D&D games.

There is also information on the three short 'prelude' adventures which introduce players to the world of Krynn:
  • Eye in the Sky -- ideal for sorcerers, warlocks, wizards, or others seeking to become members of the Mages of High Sorcery.
  • Broken Silence -- ideal for clerics, druids, paladins, and other characters with god-given powers.
  • Scales of War -- ideal for any character and reveals the mysterious draconians.
The article discusses Session Zero for the campaign and outlines what to expect in a Dragonlance game -- war, death, refugees, and so on.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's extremely off-point because not talking about "these sorts of tropes." We're talking about the Cataclysm. I literally do not care how other settings deal with "divine justice" at the moment.

Also, ever heard of Informed Attributes? I don't care if you say someone is good if they aren't shown as good.
Are you planning on playing Dragonlance, or otherwise have a vested interest in the setting? If you are planning to play, is there a reason you can't modify the history at your table into something you prefer?

Eubani

Legend
I dont agree that it is. I believe freedom of choice, free will, the ability and protection of those things, is Good.
You both can be correct here. The argument that choice allows for both good and evil outcomes equates to neutrality has merit, just as protecting choice is good because good done by choice and not by force is good at its best.

Scribe

Legend
You both can be correct here. The argument that choice allows for both good and evil outcomes equates to neutrality has merit, just as protecting choice is good because good done by choice and not by force is good at its best.

Up for interpretation I suppose either way. :)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This is the way...

The bolded part sums up why continuing to argue about this is pretty silly. Neither argument is wrong because it's all subjective.

Free will, by necessity, allows for people to commit evil. If you're actively allowing evil--that ain't good. It's not evil but it's not automatically good, either. Also, look at the other Neutral gods. If Knowledge is considered neutral, than so is "preserving free will."

Of course, it's a moot point because that's not what the Good gods are supposed to be the gods of.
Free will was also the gift the neutral gods gave the mortal races at creation. The good gods gave them physical bodies and evil gods gave them mortality. I forget the exact wording for why good chose that gift, but evil's motive was basically to make them vulnerable to temptation since their life had an end.

Remathilis

Legend
That's my biggest issue with Dragonlance. Have your Biblical Flood Cataclysm and your return of the gods after centuries of silence and your single, monopolistic mage guild, but at least give me multiple ways to explore and interact with them above and beyond "pick your god" and "pick your robe color".

I think that's what has sat poorly with me about Dragonlance; it feels like such a small setting. They want you to be Knights of Solomnia, Wizards of High Sorcery, members of the Order of the Stars, etc to the point where there is little alternative besides that. I've never felt a setting so bound to its archetypes as strongly as Krynn, and I feel a little like "if you're not basing your character on one of the Heroes of the Lance, you're doing it wrong."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads