Dragonlance based on Mormonism?!?

Benben

First Post
the fall of Istar reminds me of the Nephite cycle of pride and repentance.
I'm a non-Mormon, but one who has lived in Idaho all of his life. The Nephite cycle is a out of my experience, can anybody give a precis?

Benben

First Post
ShadowX said:
I recall that the Rose of the Prophet trilogy had a strong Mormon correlation, and that Dragonlance was much weaker in this area, but my memory could be failing me.
Any way we can give your memory a boost, because I'm just not seeing the allegorical references. It seems or of a D20 extension to the AD&D alignment system. The other major character and cultural arcs don't seem to map to my limited knowledge of LDS theology.

Kesh

First Post
In the Annotated books, there's a mention that Hickman did draw on his faith for a few ideas, but it wasn't allegorical or anything. It just provided inspiration for a few things. I do seem to recall a small essay at the back of the Annotated Chronicles talking about how he drew from his faith to help create the DL pantheon.

Unfortunately, I don't have the book handy to reference, so my memory might be a little fuzzy on that.

ShadowX

First Post
Kesh said:
In the Annotated books, there's a mention that Hickman did draw on his faith for a few ideas, but it wasn't allegorical or anything. It just provided inspiration for a few things. I do seem to recall a small essay at the back of the Annotated Chronicles talking about how he drew from his faith to help create the DL pantheon.

Unfortunately, I don't have the book handy to reference, so my memory might be a little fuzzy on that.

That would be my impression from his works. Nothing allegorical, but an occasional idea that is similar to some piece of doctrine.

ShadowX

First Post
Benben said:
Any way we can give your memory a boost, because I'm just not seeing the allegorical references. It seems or of a D20 extension to the AD&D alignment system. The other major character and cultural arcs don't seem to map to my limited knowledge of LDS theology.

I am sorry if I implied that it was allegorical, I don't remember anything that strong. IIRC, each god had a fiefdom that wasn't aware of the other kingdoms. Now this reminded me of the LDS belief that other Gods exist, running their own cosmic experiments, yet we are to pay homage to only our God, the one who birthed us.

ShadowX

First Post
Benben said:
I'm a non-Mormon, but one who has lived in Idaho all of his life. The Nephite cycle is a out of my experience, can anybody give a precis?

1) People are righteous; blessings are given.
2) People become prideful because of blessings.
3) God chastens his people from the myriad ways laid out in the Bible.
4) People become humble and repent.

Rinse and repeat.

Benben

First Post
ShadowX said:
I am sorry if I implied that it was allegorical, I don't remember anything that strong. IIRC, each god had a fiefdom that wasn't aware of the other kingdoms. Now this reminded me of the LDS belief that other Gods exist, running their own cosmic experiments, yet we are to pay homage to only our God, the one who birthed us.
Hmmm, interesting I can see that.

reanjr

First Post
Kesh said:

If I recall correctly, the Dragonlance deities were the original Forgotten Realms deities created by Jeff Grubb? Something like that. Alot of Dragonlance names are taken from the bible or other Christian writings, though (Habbakuk, Hiddukel, Zeboim, and I think even Takhisis).

reanjr

First Post
ShadowX said:

There's nothing really like that in Dragonlance. All of the deities and their followers are fully aware of other deities and their followers. And many deities have intermingled followers. Istar had a strong following for Paladine and Mishikal; Solamnia was Paladine, Habbakuk, and Kiri-Jolith; Mithas and Kothas followed Sargonnas and Kiri-Jolith; the arcane followers of Takhisis paid respect to Nuitari, Lunitari, and Solinari (all wizards paid respect to those three in fact despite what their individual beliefs might be).

Everybody pretty muched worshipped everybody.

ShadowX

First Post
reanjr said:
There's nothing really like that in Dragonlance. All of the deities and their followers are fully aware of other deities and their followers. And many deities have intermingled followers. Istar had a strong following for Paladine and Mishikal; Solamnia was Paladine, Habbakuk, and Kiri-Jolith; Mithas and Kothas followed Sargonnas and Kiri-Jolith; the arcane followers of Takhisis paid respect to Nuitari, Lunitari, and Solinari (all wizards paid respect to those three in fact despite what their individual beliefs might be).

Everybody pretty muched worshipped everybody.

I was commenting on Rose of the Prophets.

Remove ads