D&D 5E Dragonlance book (180 pages) for players & DMs coming December 6!

dave2008

Legend
I didn't realize it was an illegal book with stolen art considering some of those who were involved with it.

Though, now thinking on it more deeply, I guess it depends on who owned the art. Did they use any from the DCLS itself, or was it from other products instead?
They are using 5e trade dress and WotC IP. Since this is not a Guild product that makes it illegal (though that could change on 12/6). As far as I can tell none of the art was made for this book, they just grabbed art from other products or the internet. I seriously doubt any of the artist gave permission for this art to be used, but I could be wrong

Splinterverse

Explorer
Publisher
They are using 5e trade dress and WotC IP. Since this is not a Guild product that makes it illegal (though that could change on 12/6). As far as I can tell none of the art was made for this book, they just grabbed art from other products or the internet. I seriously doubt any of the artist gave permission for this art to be used, but I could be wrong
I want to be clear that the Tasselhoff's book is not being published by us. That said, I do follow the publishers on social media. From what I understand, they have gone out and commissioned art for a planned DM's Guild release also on Dec. 6.

Splinterverse

Explorer
Publisher
I notice your credits note Weis and the Hickman's as designers of Dragonlance. Why not Grub, the artists or any of the other people you worked to make the setting what it is?
We are thankful to everyone who has worked on Dragonlance in the past. Space is at a premium on our credits page (the screenshot just showed a portion of it), but we do have a general statement elsewhere on the page thanking those who worked on past editions, especially since we do include some converted material.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I had to look it up, and was sad to see you are promoting an illegal book with stolen art.

On a better note, I guess they can release it on the Guild soon, if they take care of the art problem

The book was offered free of charge when it was released. That's not illegal.

mamba

Legend
Some of the art was definitely made for the book, at a minimum the draconians and the cover. No idea about all art, at a minimum I assume they had permission.

As to it being illegal, no it is not, as long as they offer it for free they are good.

dave2008

Legend
Some of the art was definitely made for the book, at a minimum the draconians and the cover. No idea about all art, at a minimum I assume they had permission.
Definitely not all of the draconian art and there is classic elmore art in there (not even from dragonlance) among others
As to it being illegal, no it is not, as long as they offer it for free they are good.
That is a common misconception. Just because it is free, does not allow you to use another's IP and trade dress. That being said - a lot of people do it (including myself). However, it is still illegal.

dave2008

Legend
The book was offered free of charge when it was released. That's not illegal.
Yes it is. It being free doesn't change the fact that they are illegally using another's IP and trade dress. However, a lot of people do it as I noted in my post above this one. I get more riled up by the art theft personally - but it is still illegal.

PS There was a big discussion on this issue, on this forum, a few years ago. The local lawyers confirmed it is illegal even if you offer it for free. I was on your side then, but I was wrong.

mamba

Legend
Definitely not all of the draconian art and there is classic elmore art in there (not even from dragonlance) among others

That is a common misconception. Just because it is free, does not allow you to use another's IP and trade dress. That being said - a lot of people do it (including myself). However, it is still illegal.
Not sure where fair use / fanfiction begins, from my understanding the guys creating it were involved in the 3e DL modules / supplements, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here

Not sure there is Elmore art (ie have not taken a look recently and do not recall it), but would not rule out them having permission immediately either.

Maybe they will chime in, they are on this site too

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Not sure where fair use / famfiction begins, from my understanding the guys creating it were involved in the 3e DL modules / supplements, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here

Not sure there is Elmore art (ie have not taken a look recently and do not recall it), but would not rule out them having permission immediately either.

Maybe they will chime in, they are on this site too
According to Splinterverse (in this post) the authors are commission art to repalce the illegal art so they can release it on DM's guild. I kinda think that proves my point.

Of note, if they do release it on DMsGuild, they will need to remove it from whatever site they have it posted for free (per DM's Guild requirements).

PS The Elmore art "Dragon Slayers" is in the book, fairly early. I am not sure who has the copyright on it, but normally it would be TSR/WotC. That is also not the only, non original, art.

I just looked again and there is other suspect art, but it is honestly not as much as I thought. I imagine they can get this cleaned up for the guild without much effort.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
We are thankful to everyone who has worked on Dragonlance in the past. Space is at a premium on our credits page (the screenshot just showed a portion of it), but we do have a general statement elsewhere on the page thanking those who worked on past editions, especially since we do include some converted material.
PS I think this book looks interesting, I wish you luck and thank you for sharing all of the previews!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases