• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Dragonlance: Everything You Need For Shadow of the Dragon Queen

WotC has shared a video explaining the Dragonlance setting, and what to expect when it is released in December. World at War: Introduces war as a genre of play to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. Dragonlance: Introduces the Dragonlance setting with a focus on the War of the Lance and an overview of what players and DMs need to run adventures during this world spanning conflict. Heroes of...

WotC has shared a video explaining the Dragonlance setting, and what to expect when it is released in December.

World at War: Introduces war as a genre of play to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Dragonlance: Introduces the Dragonlance setting with a focus on the War of the Lance and an overview of what players and DMs need to run adventures during this world spanning conflict.

Heroes of War: Provides character creation rules highlighting core elements of the Dragonlance setting, including the kender race and new backgrounds for the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery magic-users. Also introduces the Lunar Sorcery sorcerer subclass with new spells that bind your character to Krynn's three mystical moons and imbues you with lunar magic.

Villains: Pits heroes against the infamous death knight Lord Soth and his army of draconians.

Notes --
  • 224 page hardcover adventure
  • D&D's setting for war
  • Set in eastern Solamnia
  • War is represented by context -- it's not goblins attacking the village, but evil forces; refugees, rumours
  • You can play anything from D&D - clerics included, although many classic D&D elements have been forgotten
  • Introductory scenarios bring you up to speed on the world so no prior research needed

It actually is. Who is the moral authority on Krynn who can pass judgement on the world, when all the gods are equally correct? Why did the Chaotic gods agree that punishing everyone instead of the individual was correct? How did the NG gods decide that the suffering of the whole world, including people on the other side of the planet, was justified because of the actions of one man?

That's why you can't point to single god religions and say that bibical floods are the same as the Cataclysm.
I think pantheon's are easier to understand than mono-god settings.
I think from a philosophical level for instance in a mono-god setting evil exists because the mono-god permits it. In a pantheon such as Krynn evil does not exist because Paladine permits it.

The issue was ‘how can a god / gods that are responsible for so much ‘damage’ be considered good’, and saying ‘because he / they he say so’ is not really a valid answer - or it is for both
At the risk of coming up to the line of discussing real-world religion - which I absolutely understand is forbidden, and I'm expressly trying to restrict the discussion to philosophy - you might find Leibnitz's concept of theodicy an interesting area to plumb on this topic.

Kai Lord

Hero
It actually is. Who is the moral authority on Krynn who can pass judgement on the world, when all the gods are equally correct? Why did the Chaotic gods agree that punishing everyone instead of the individual was correct? How did the NG gods decide that the suffering of the whole world, including people on the other side of the planet, was justified because of the actions of one man?

That's why you can't point to single god religions and say that bibical floods are the same as the Cataclysm.
Well there is the correlation with Adam's sin causing all of humanity to fall with the Christian belief that even though failure was personified in one man, he was still the "champion" of humanity, literally perfect in all ways up to that point except for that singular sin, therefore if any other human were in Adam's shoes then we would have failed worse, and quicker than he did.

Ergo the Kingpriest could have been seen by Krynn's gods as the pinnacle of mortal goodness resulting in the consequence of his pride being applied to the entire planet.

Well there is the correlation with Adam's sin causing all of humanity to fall with the theological belief that even though failure was personified in one man, he was still the "champion" of humanity, literally perfect in all ways up to that point except for that singular sin, therefore if any other human were in Adam's shoes then we would have failed worse, and quicker than he did.

Ergo the Kingpriest could have been seen by Krynn's gods as the pinnacle of mortal goodness resulting in the consequence of his pride being applied to the entire planet.
But is that position in line with Chaotic and Neutral god's ethical positions?

Kai Lord

Hero
But is that position in line with Chaotic and Neutral god's ethical positions?
Well I'm sure the Chaotic gods were very pleased with the Kingpriest's corruption (even encouraging it) and would have relished the global destruction. The Neutral gods could very well have realized that both Good and Chaos were in agreement on the Cataclysm and allowed it in the name of balance.

Well I'm sure the Chaotic gods were very pleased with the Kingpriest's corruption (even encouraging it) and would have relished the global destruction. The Neutral gods could very well have realized that both Good and Chaos were in agreement on the Cataclysm and allowed it in the name of balance.
Or the good gods were forced into accepting such a condition.
For me, the beauty of something like the Cataclysm is that certain things are knowable - from the characters' perspective. The rest is up to each individual table or DM to determine the why's.

Kai Lord

Hero
Or the good gods were forced into accepting such a condition.
For me, the beauty of something like the Cataclysm is that certain things are knowable - from the characters' perspective. The rest is up to each individual table or DM to determine the why's.
So true. I'm totally fine with allowing the wisdom/decisions of the gods to have a rationale and perspective beyond what the mortal PC's are capable of fully understanding or gaming tables having to fully explain.

So true. I'm totally fine with allowing the wisdom/decisions of the gods to have a rationale and perspective beyond what the mortal PC's are capable of fully understanding or gaming tables having to fully explain.
Yeah they may have conversations with persons who thought the Kingpriest caused the Cataclysm not the gods or that it was the Kingpriest with a couple of Black Robes...or something else. Hundreds of years have passed - I'm sure there would be a dozen or more theories on what really happened.
And this is all before we get to the deities.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
It actually is. Who is the moral authority on Krynn who can pass judgement on the world, when all the gods are equally correct?
who says they are? They are not called
good, neutral or evil for nothing ;)

They are maybe equally powerful, definitely responsible for different things and definitely competing with each other in some form, but that does not make them all correct.

Why did the Chaotic gods agree that punishing everyone instead of the individual was correct? How did the NG gods decide that the suffering of the whole world, including people on the other side of the planet, was justified because of the actions of one man?
how did the god of the bible decide this? You do not really know that either, yet presumably he did.
Also, they did not condemn that one man only, same as the god of the bible.

Why would you expect to understand Paladine’s reasoning any better?

Remove ads

Remove ads