• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE is coming this year!

This year, a hardcover book and a 'battle game'. Here's the teaser trailer! The adventure is set at the start of the War of the Lance, while the battle game is designed for 'large scale' battles. And they're coming later this year, in 2022. Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn

This year, a hardcover book and a 'battle game'. Here's the teaser trailer! The adventure is set at the start of the War of the Lance, while the battle game is designed for 'large scale' battles. And they're coming later this year, in 2022.
  • Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen
  • Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.41.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.41.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.41.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.41.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.41.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.40.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.25 PM.png

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
Like I said Arrogance is setting in. Next they won't consult Ed when doing the next FR Campaign setting book. I don't like that they have so little respect for living setting creators.
I would like to think that these people knew what they were getting themselves into when they sold their rights. Besides, Ed is incredibly laissez-faire with the Realms, otherwise he probably would've piped up 8 years ago when they decided to make his world the main setting for the game to be based out of. Also, consider that if one setting can survive without its original creative input, they all can. Hell, Greyhawk has technically outlived its creator (if you count the fact that it has been put on the sidelines since 4e and only has had 1 book so far in 5e), then it shouldn't be so wild to anticipate that approaching that big ol' 5-0 in the game's history, the settings are going to have to adapt to worlds without their creators anyways.

Plus, not to be "arrogant" as you put it, but just because it's possible someone comes back to help with classic content doesn't mean it's always 100% necessary, especially when it's well-documented in novels and other tie-in media. Plus, this is a look back somewhat, from my undersatnding, so retreading territory that's already been covered won't be as drastic as pushing forward and making wild and unprecedented changes to a world (which 5e has been smart to not do, at least not in excess).

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
At least Ed tried to keep up with the evolution of its creation once he ceded it to another company. From what I know, W&H havent been that relevant to the TTRPG scene for some time.

I dont feel their take on Dragonlance is that much more worthwhile than any other author for the setting, or even any other DM who created campaign for the past 30 years!

Faolyn

(she/her)
Like I said Arrogance is setting in. Next they won't consult Ed when doing the next FR Campaign setting book. I don't like that they have so little respect for living setting creators.
While they may be the creators, they aren't the owners, and in many cases just did the creation for the company they were hired for (instead of creating something and then selling it). This is kind of expected.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It shouldn't be.
Look, we get it, you feel strongly about FR and Greenwood and canon and WotC not necessarily following canon and all that. But there's a big difference between the cases of Dragonlance and FR. There's no real parallel between the two of them. I dont keep score, but I know at least that Greenwood as published many things for its setting in terms of rpg and a huge number of books for the novel line.

In the case of W&H it was more or less contractual work and they did way less work as custodian of DL than Greenwood did with FR. DL was fleshed out as much by the dozens of authors who published novels for the setting as W&H.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Weis is unhappy about Kender being Feywild-ified.
Given I've seen more positive stuff for the Feywild Kender than I've ever seen for the original ones... Frankly I consider this a plus

Like, yeah, they did write the original setting but heck knows I've been that attached to Transformers to know settings can grow if you throw in new people and let them have a stab at things.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

I'll be honest... the creators I most respect who have created worlds are those that end up not being that protective about them later. The real world moves on, and the original audience matures and new younger generations move in too. The creators that keep trying to protect their IP as a fragile creature end up losing my respect as they fall into trivialities, while the ones that embrace change and that things can be taken out of their hands (for their better) get my respect.

JK Rowling falls into the camp of being a toxic defender of her world, while George Lucas (eventually) fell into the camp of letting others take the wheel and accepting that things can and will change.

And Greenwood always feels like someone who doesn't care much about being consulted, as long as folks continue to have fun with his creation.

Remove ads

Remove ads