Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Except you're advocating for discriminating against them before they do anything, since you're purporting that simply pinging on a detect evil spell is sufficient to exclude them from having a say. That level of intolerance doesn't strike me as being Good, but I suppose YMMV.
This is pretty much one of the things the King priest implemented, evil thought equals evil deed. Discriminating against those who did nothing but thought the wrong thing.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It depends. If it's treated as a new version, sure. But if you replace the old version and pretend it never existed, or all the talk revolves around the new version and how much better than the old one was, that can be hard.
So, you play Basic D&D, right?

GreyLord

Legend
So, I'm one of those that do not agree with a LOT of the morality presented in Dragonlance. I strongly disagree with some of the concepts.

That said, I LOVE Dragonlance. Just because I disagree with the ideas it presents if they were seen from a real life perspective doesn't mean I don't find it an interesting thing to read in the books or games.

One example is the Kingpriest. If you've read the Legends trilogy you realize there is no way in any definition that the Kingpriest is good. In fact, the best he might be able to be called is Lawful Evil. Even the book in the trilogy acknowledges that what he is doing is absolutely evil. Anyone good is transported/teleported/taken up to the heavens or whatever it is while the rest who are not good remain. The society itself in the book makes it obvious that the society isn't good, it's literally a exemplary one where evil reigns supreme.

To then say that the risk was the Kingpriest deleting evil is ridiculous in the campaign setting. If anything it was evil pretending to be on the side of Good.

I DO enjoy Dragonlance though. I plan on buying the book and the game when they come out.

ON that note though, the book is both a brief description of the setting and an adventure from what I understand. It will be a tad thinner on information than some other campaign books have been in the past. In that light, much like some other books that have come out focusing on campaign settings, it will probably be a little lighter on certain subjects, or at least I imagine it will be.

It will be an introduction to the setting that is sparse enough to let people make it their own. Much like the Dark Sun campaign setting was for 4e, or Ravenloft for 5e, I think it will cover the basics to get people into the setting, but not be so content laden that they can't reimagine whatever they want to make it good for their own campaigns.

the Jester

Legend
WotC wants money, and figures the new people they care about don't know any different and therefore won't care.
That's one take. Another is that they think more fans will appreciate the changes than won't. And honestly, if the changes remove, revise, or recontextualize a bunch of problematic stuff, they may well be right.

I'm sorry that it's not for you, but that doesn't make it not-Dragonlance. Heck, Dragonlance in general isn't for me- I could go on quite a rant about the problems with it and how it's this and that, and blah blah blah, but I'll spare you- but I don't think you, I, or any other singular player/fan has the right to make that determination. Especially given its tortured history in terms of being shoved from one ruleset to another and time travel shenanigans. And especially given that we haven't seen so much as a preview of the new game material (AFAIK).

The choice isn't "do the test or get hunted down". The choice is "do the test, be hunted down OR give up magic. The third option is there for everyone. Palin Majere was head of the Conclave, one of the greatest White Robes ever and he decided he didn't want to have a bar of magic anymore, so he left and just gave it up completely. That's also an option. Throwing fireballs around isn't some sort of inalienable right. It's a massive privilege that makes you one of the most dangerous people on the planet. It's right for it to be policed.

Doesn't work for sorcerers though.
Sorcerers obviously didn't exist in Dragonlance pre-3E, and in 3rd edition they were exclusively fluffed as "primal sorcerers" who didn't exist before the 5th age, when the Conclave had been abolished (until it was brought back, and the whole question of how to integrate the sorcerers was the storyline of an entire novel).

Bold mine. You said it yourself- it was destroyed because the Kingpriest tried to upend cosmic ORDER. That's a pretty Law vs Chaos interpretation.

How is that being "too lawful" because he tried to upend the cosmic order.

Again, Takhisis isn't the "queen of evil". She's the Queen of Chaos.

She's not even chaotically aligned. In the Summer of Chaos she set up a very lawful-evil organisation to conquer the world and mostly succeeded and then not once did she bother going on a chaotic killing spree.

Considering that the ends justifying the means is all over Dragonlance, I'd strongly disagree here.
I don't see it. Is Raistlin "justified"? His story doesn't exactly scream that. Neither the Kingpriest. Nor Lord Ariakan. In fact I see the opposite. Being a good person is far more important, even when you're effectively a laughing stock (look at Sturm, holding to the measure when no one else does).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Because then it wouldn't be Dragonlance. It would be a homebrew setting that you like more. That's awesome! Play that setting.
Good. Dragonlance had a lot of really bad core assumptions in the setting (having the good guys condone murder/genocide, taking a Star Wars prequels type of morality, including some of the more unflattering parts of Mormon doctrine). Changing them to make the setting better is a win in my book.

If they change Dragonlance so much that it's practically a new setting, I might actually be interested in it. If they keep the objectively bad stuff from the old novels because of tradition and nostalgia, then I will not have the urge to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads