Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the point of keeping the name Dragonlance then.
Because while some of the changes can be pretty significant, there are still huge swaths that will still be there. Draconians and dragonlances to begin with, I'm sure.

Surely you'd agree that if 1% of the setting were changed, it would still be reasonable to call it the same setting. Conversely, if 99% of the setting were changed, it would not be. So there is some proportion in the middle where it ceases to be reasonable. But from what I've seen we're not anywhere near that line.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because while some of the changes can be pretty significant, there are still huge swaths that will still be there. Draconians and dragonlances to begin with, I'm sure.

Surely you'd agree that if 1% of the setting were changed, it would still be reasonable to call it the same setting. Conversely, if 99% of the setting were changed, it would not be. So there is some proportion in the middle where it ceases to be reasonable. But from what I've seen we're not anywhere near that line.
I agree in principle, but its like the X-Men. The X-Men is about mutant heroes trying to save a world that hates and fears them. If everybody loved mutants, it wouldn't be the X-Men, even if they got the names right.

The good-neutral-evil alignment shenanigans, including the Order of High Sorcery and its issues, and the specific concept of balance, are what make it Dragonlance to me. Change those and it isn't DL, even if it still has draconians in it.

The good-neutral-evil alignment shenanigans, including the Order of High Sorcery and its issues, and the specific concept of balance, are what make it Dragonlance to me. Change those and it isn't DL, even if it still has draconians in it.
The "to me" part is the key there. That may be what makes it DL to you, but that not what makes it DL to everyone. So unless you believe everyone should agree with you about that, then you already know why it's reasonable to still call it DragonLance: the changes are not as significant to other people than they are to you, since it's subjective.

So ultimately the answer to "why still call it DragonLance?" is "because not everyone sees DragonLance the same way you do, and to them it's still very much DragonLance."

Micah Sweet

The "to me" part is the key there. That may be what makes it DL to you, but that not what makes it DL to everyone. So unless you believe everyone should agree with you about that, then you already know why it's reasonable to still call it DragonLance: the changes are not as significant to other people than they are to you, since it's subjective.

So ultimately the answer to "why still call it DragonLance?" is "because not everyone sees DragonLance the same way you do, and to them it's still very much DragonLance."
Fair enough. I don't like it, but when has that ever mattered to anyone?

Fair enough. I don't like it, but when has that ever mattered to anyone?
It matters just as much as any one other person's opinion. But game settings are not designed for one person. So ultimately the question "Why call it DragonLance?" means you're questioning why WotC would consider other peoples' tastes as well, rather than just yours.

There's all kinds of things WotC has done that are not to my taste But I don't question why they do it, because I know why they do it - my tastes are not universal, and they're trying to appeal to more people than just me.

Micah Sweet

So you are saying that if not having a new, updated Dragonlance is good enough for you it should be good enough for everyone.
As I have been informed, this is for people who are not me. I would love if one day they would make things for people who are me, but its been a while since that's been the case. Normally I wouldn't care, but as I've mentioned the old TSR settings mean a lot to me and I don't want to remember them the way WotC wants to make them now.

WotC can do what they want, and other people will certainly like it. I'll just have to ignore it and all the discussion about it for the next few months.

I really wish WotC would put out a new product I liked, so I would have something positive to say about the new hotness.

Micah Sweet

New versions of media do not render older versions non-existent. Remember them the way they were, since that's the way they were. A new version does not change the way they were.
It depends. If it's treated as a new version, sure. But if you replace the old version and pretend it never existed, or all the talk revolves around the new version and how much better than the old one was, that can be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads