• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
that's not 5e lawful good at all

that's not 5e neutral good at all

that one you can kind of make fit.

as for the rest of your argument I am ignoreing it. You are not acting or speaking in good faith.
Seems pretty reasonable to me, as do the explanations of the good alignments. You just have a different opinion.

Micah Sweet

All I can say is that I'm hoping that for this reimagining, we're getting a Rogue One, not a Kelvin timeline Star Trek.
No one reimagined Star Wars, they just added to it. Star Trek was re-imagined, but its a separate continuity so it doesn't have to count. The DL thing is not either of those things.

I don't know what you mean by "started this," but I commented on this particular topic in response to someone else, which you then responded to. So in that sense, you started this, hence why you should be the one to "knock it off."

EDIT: Also, saying "I don't want to entertain what the worst way to read this is," was a personal attack as well, so citing my response to that doesn't change anything.
no it isn't. I said I WASN'T reading the worst into it, and you came back accuseing me of READING the worst into it... exactly what I said I WASN'T doing.

Micah Sweet

Well, WotC seems to think you can, and so do a bunch of the rest of us. I'm not unsympathetic to your position, but I think you're taking it to an extreme that isn't really realistic.
WotC wants money, and figures the new people they care about don't know any different and therefore won't care.

But, none of that changes anything. I'm through shouting into the wind.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
no it isn't. I said I WASN'T reading the worst into it, and you came back accuseing me of READING the worst into it... exactly what I said I WASN'T doing.
I in no way made an accusation. I said that reading the worst into something was a referendum on the manner in which the conversation is approached. Since you weren't doing that, by your own admission, then said referendum wasn't in reference to you.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I don't see the point of keeping the name Dragonlance then. Just leave it in history, and make new setting that reflect what you want now. You cannot change Dragonlance to have it be something people will pay for in 2022 and have it remain Dragonlance.
Of course you can. Entire comic book universes have been upended dozens of times, in crisis (or Crisis) after crisis and have managed to still exist with the same name. The details change. The story remains the same.

I loved The Sandman comics. I love The Sandman TV show and desperately hope for a second season. Changes were made in the show to reflect modern sensibilities. Some people had their gender and/or skin color changed. Some people, especially female characters, got stronger, more proactive roles. They didn't show on-screen rape like the comic had (and that rape was, in the comic, a character-defining moment for the rapist). Two characters got merged into one, and made into a much better (i.e., kinder and more story-logical) person in the process. Dream himself is somewhat kinder. The story was the same, and still just as good, but the details have made the story better for modern audiences--and quite frankly, better for me, a long-time fan, as well.

What is the story of Dragonlance? Keep that story, and improve the rest.

Micah Sweet

Of course you can. Entire comic book universes have been upended dozens of times, in crisis (or Crisis) after crisis and have managed to still exist with the same name. The details change. The story remains the same.

I loved The Sandman comics. I love The Sandman TV show and desperately hope for a second season. Changes were made in the show to reflect modern sensibilities. Some people had their gender and/or skin color changed. Some people, especially female characters, got stronger, more proactive roles. They didn't show on-screen rape like the comic had (and that rape was, in the comic, a character-defining moment for the rapist). Two characters got merged into one, and made into a much better (i.e., kinder and more story-logical) person in the process. Dream himself is somewhat kinder. The story was the same, and still just as good, but the details have made the story better for modern audiences--and quite frankly, better for me, a long-time fan, as well.

I think "the rest" is too much to improve in the case of Dragonlance, and I hate (HATE) when the history of a setting is changed. If this is a new Dragonlance, that has no connection to the old, maybe I could accept it (even if it still seems pointless to me).

I don't even buy WotC anymore, but the settings their predecessors created mean a lot to me, and I dislike seeing them messed with. FR was fine. Everron was fine. Ravenloft was a travesty to me, and Spelljammer nailed the spirit but was deeply flawed in its presentation and missing content. And now we have this.

the best part is anyone can go read sandman or watch it or both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads