Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faolyn

(she/her)
You aren’t understanding. Good mages don’t help the evil mages. They fight them in the streets when they are doing evil stuff.

But in the towers in their place of learning. There are no sides. It’s neutral ground.

It’s not like the black robes are sacrificing virgins next door to where the white robes are holding class.

It’s a school, your hogwarts as it where. Despite how they act outside the school, inside everyone is there to learn and to teach. To expand the knowledge of magic, which is their religion.
You have it that supposedly Good people are allowing Evil people to learn how to be better at being Evil. The black robes may not be actively sacrificing virgins next door to the White Robe's class, but they are learning how and when to. They are gathering their forces.

It would be like if you knew your roommates were actively planning to commit a mass murder downtown because they told you about it and showed you their guns and bombs, and you didn't bother to do anything because they hadn't killed anyone in your living room and they should be allowed to plan to murder people in peace. Even if you were planning on going downtown to stop them later on, you are still helping commit mass murder by allowing them to do so in your home.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Keep in mind you can cast all the 1st and 2nd level spells you want. Think of all the stuff you can do with just that magic. This isn’t about some kid running around making funny little illusions.

It’s when you have the ability to throw fireballs and lightening bolts etc the Mages get involved.

You may be fine with a guy running around with an unlimited grenade launcher unregulated but most people aren’t.
They can murder all the people they want and justify it however they want.

The only sticking point is them trying to pretend to be good either because of or in spite of doing so. They're not. They're hard men making hard choices, which are never good.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because old material can often be improved, sometimes by a massive amount, by updating it. I agree that it's possible to go too far, but this whole debate about what Good is in DL shows that there's a lot of room for improvement. Likewise, DL would be better served (I think) with the "White Savior" nonsense removed, with the allegories to Mormonism seriously cut back, and by a frank and deep discussion of what alignment means in the setting and whether or not "Team Good" is aligned with Good at all. And if you want them to be, how to modify, remove, scale back, or improve the problematic stuff.
I don't see the point of keeping the name Dragonlance then. Just leave it in history, and make new setting that reflect what you want now. You cannot change Dragonlance to have it be something people will pay for in 2022 and have it remain Dragonlance.

Micah Sweet

If keep magic alive is more important than good or evil, then there should be no problem with re-imagining the various wizard groups as something other than White Robe/Good, Red Robe/Neutral, Black Robe/Evil. You could turn them into groups that study particular branches of magic--maybe different schools of magic, or by dividing them into "buffing" spells, "information and utility" spells, and "debuff and damaging" spells.
Yes, you can do that...in a different setting.

Keep in mind you can cast all the 1st and 2nd level spells you want. Think of all the stuff you can do with just that magic. This isn’t about some kid running around making funny little illusions.
wait, are illusions capped at 1st level now, are not illusions 3rd level or higher?

lets make a quick sorcerer...at level 8 they know 9 spells. (a wizard would know 20) from 1st through 4th level.

Color spray, Disguise self, Silent Image
Blur, Invisability, mirror image,
Fear, Hypnotic pattern
Greater Invisability

nope it can in fact be some kid with dumb illusions, the biggest offensive spell is 1st level (color spray)

lets say it's a wizard though for the 11 more spells
lets add burning hands (no issue it's 1st level right) Charm person (no issue here 1st level spells don't need guidance) Detect magic, Ice knife (gee this is like a grenade, good thing 1st level is a okay right) identify, mage armor
cloud of daggers, hold person (can't imagine how those could be an issue right... still just 2nd level)
but only to keep my theme my 3rd and 4th level ones can't be bad
Tiny Hut. and nondetection
secure chest

see the only damaging or problem spells are before the test anyway even with wizard.

It’s when you have the ability to throw fireballs and lightening bolts etc the Mages get involved.
right becuse why handle the problems when you can just make people take the test and get PTSD and maybe die then be forced into your cult and work with evil cause they DARED to learn
Fear, Hypnotic pattern Tiny Hut. and nondetection
Greater Invisability and secure chest
You may be fine with a guy running around with an unlimited grenade launcher unregulated but most people aren’t.
that is a 1st level wizard. Flame bolt the cantrip

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
not the only one... its a possible outcome.
It's the most likely outcome, given that both sides have parity in terms of numbers, resources, and abilities. Open conflict between them is in no way guaranteed to end quickly or decisively, let alone in a total victory for Good.
no one is saying no compromise... not allowing the evil voices 1/3 say over all of magic is not much of an absalute.
They already make up one-third of magic, though, so trying to squeeze them down to less than that is going to end badly.
no you are
Not so much, no. I'm saying that they should keep the current system, which pointedly doesn't ignore the Evil wizards. You're the one saying "Good doesn't associate with Evil," so you're the one saying they should be left alone to do whatever they want (since opposing them would result in escalation).
even evil practitioners useing magic for evil...
Yes. That's the best that can be achieved.
many post but I started with post 1 and 2 on this thread
I think what you're trying to cite is the link in the first post, which goes to a D&D Beyond page which, on a quick search, doesn't seem to use the word "alignment" anywhere.
no it isn't
Not for you, perhaps, but there are other gamers who don't play your way. Or are you saying they're having badwrongfun?
I'm sure there are, but the general way evil backstabs means without good and neutral it will fall apart.
The Knights of Takhisis disagree. As does the fact that evil continues to exist in most campaign worlds.
except I NEVER SAID THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You've been very forthright in saying that Good cannot countenance the existence of Evil, and that it can't ignore it if it knows about it. What does that leave except stamping it out?
right and lets face it WotC isn't changing casting charts. they aren't I would bet everything on it.
Okay, well that seems like a rather silly thing to bet literally "everything" on. Sense of scale, and all that.
nope not by any D&D standard... in a 'shades of grey' way maybe but not D&D 9 alignments.
Incorrect. The White Robes are unequivocally good, even if they have recognized that they're not only unable to wipe out evil, but can reduce harm to innocent people by working with it. In fact, you could justifiably say they're good because of that.
and that lines you at neutral not good... maintain the system and the balance get the most good for while allowing evil...
No, I think if you're leveraging the system to try and reduce harm as much as possible, that's good.
would you call any of them good on the D&D spectrum of 9 alignments? I doubt it.
On the contrary, I think you could, yes.
if you let evil be evil you are not good.
I disagree. Sometimes the most good that Good can do is to let Evil be evil, and that's okay.
good vs bad/
There's more to it than that, mostly how in Dragonlance the two sides are virtually identical in numbers, resources, and abilities, as opposed to the asymmetry in Lex Luthor vs. Superman.
wait... what? You think (knowingly) a good person (by D&D good alignment) will willingly associate and work with a evil person (by D&D standards)!?!?!
So you don't think that a good person will want to convince an evil person to change their alignment to good? That's an...interesting take on things.
That requires you to oppes those evil acts and views... at BEST your argument is all the white cloaks should be following the black cloaks around to teach them morality... I don't want to entertain what the worst way to read this is.
If you're knowingly reading the worst way into something, that's a referendum as to how you're engaging in the debate, you realize. And yes, teaching someone about morality requires you to interact with them, which is more worthwhile than ignoring them and, what, just hoping they go away?
lets talk alingment then... from D&D itself Personality and Background

can be counted on to do the right thing (nothing about allowing or putting up with evil... just will do teh right thing, like oppose evil, not try to kill kids for learning magic, not putting people through PTSD inducing tests)
do the best they can to help others according to their needs. (again nothing about allowing or putting up with evil... just will help others, not force people into PTSD inducing tests, nothing about hunting down other good people who don't join your club house)
act as their conscience directs, with little regard for what others expect. (This is the cclosest you get... acts as there own conscience directs gives you some wiggle room that maybe there conscience thinks a PTSD inducing test and 1/3 of there order admiting to be evil MIGHT get by)

at best that is 1 out of 3 good alignments and you gotta squint and assume they don't mind evil for even THAT one.
Let me break that down for you: Lawful Good creatures can be counted on to do the right thing as expected by society, which in the case of wizard society means not overturning a system that has successfully managed to keep magic from tearing the world apart in a series of wars around philosophies and moralities. Neutral Good people do the best they can to help others according to their needs, which means making sure their need for peace and a civil society is met to the best degree that it can be. Chaotic Good people act as their conscience directs, with little regard for what anyone else thinks, so presuming that their conscience doesn't allow them to push the Black Robes to the point where the Black Robes abandon all unity with the wider order and do whatever they want to the detriment of everyone else, that's obvious.

In other words, there's nothing in what you posted that doesn't match with the system as-is.

Micah Sweet

But then it fades into obscurity and dies. If you think the setting is so bad it deserves to die, that's one thing. I'm no Dragonlance fan, but I don't think it deserves that. Instead, I think that the good parts should be embraced and the bad parts changed to be good so that people newer to the hobby can discover it and love it.
And I say there are too many parts of it that you would want to change to appeal to modern audiences for it to be worthwhile. I read and loved the books, and read and loved the setting. I have 5e conversions if I want to use them. That's good enough for me. The stuff WotC wants to do is misdirected effort.

Let me break that down for you: Lawful Good creatures can be counted on to do the right thing as expected by society, which in the case of wizard society means not overturning a system that has successfully managed to keep magic from tearing the world apart in a series of wars around philosophies and moralities.
that's not 5e lawful good at all
Neutral Good people do the best they can to help others according to their needs, which means making sure their need for peace and a civil society is met to the best degree that it can be.
that's not 5e neutral good at all
Chaotic Good people act as their conscience directs, with little regard for what anyone else thinks, so presuming that their conscience doesn't allow them to push the Black Robes to the point where the Black Robes abandon all unity with the wider order and do whatever they want to the detriment of everyone else, that's obvious.
that one you can kind of make fit.

as for the rest of your argument I am ignoreing it. You are not acting or speaking in good faith.

And I say there are too many parts of it that you would want to change to appeal to modern audiences for it to be worthwhile. I read and loved the books, and read and loved the setting. I have 5e conversions if I want to use them. That's good enough for me. The stuff WotC wants to do is misdirected effort.
Okay... so why are you still in the thread discussing the 5e books we know are coming? what is it you hope to get out of this? You don't think it should be reimagined, but it is.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
that's not 5e lawful good at all
I disagree, I think it fits quite well.
that's not 5e neutral good at all
I disagree, I think it fits just fine.
that one you can kind of make fit.
I think it more than "kind of" fits, personally.
as for the rest of your argument I am ignoreing it. You are not acting or speaking in good faith.
No, I think you're the one being deliberately disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads