D&D 5E Dragons of Stormwreck Isle: New D&D Starter Set Is Coming This Year

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning. Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly. In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which...

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning.

Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly.

In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which seems very high for a starter set.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.15.09 PM.png

The orcs in the essentials kit are your sterotypical one dimensional bad guys. They actually have a very legitimate grievance (evicted by dragon), and so its a shame that the adventure doesn't give the dm any paths for players negotiating with them or forming an alliance. The orcs are allied with evil cultists who are all half-orcs for absolutely no reason, other than to maybe emphasize the orc=bad connection.

Point being, if wotc is trying to change the way it represents humanoid races, it might as well start with a set for new players that doesn't rely on the old tropes.
I agree, the orcs are very one dimensional, and fleshing the out takes more DM skill than you would want in a starter set. It's also heavily into FR lore, especially in the digital extension adventures. If they want to move from FR-default to Multiverse-default, they may want something more setting-agnostic for starting players.

I let my players negotiate with them just so they would know combat wasnt the only option. I feel you have hit the nail on the head and this will be THE starter set going forward. I feel like it will be a rewrite of Lost Mines.
I don't see any reason to suppose it's a rewrite of LM. Does Lost Mines feature islands, storms or blue dragons?

Stormonu

Legend
Besides the classic Starter Set and Essentials box, don't forget there's been a Stranger Things and Rick & Morty themed starter sets too. I'd be willing to bet this a "D&D cartoon" themed nostalgic set meant to also play on the old "Endless Quest" books as well as the cartoon (and LJN figures).

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Besides the classic Starter Set and Essentials box, don't forget there's been a Stranger Things and Rick & Morty themed starter sets too. I'd be willing to bet this a "D&D cartoon" themed nostalgic set meant to also play on the old "Endless Quest" books as well as the cartoon (and LJN figures).
I'm torn between wanting to see Warduke and Kelek show up again because I'm a nostalgic weirdo, and not believing that Warduke would be an appropriate threat for a 5e Starter Set.

Remove ads

Remove ads