Dread Isn't for Everyone

I mentioned in the previous column how I sprung a horror game on players who didn't buy into it. But along with that change I introduced several mechanics to reinforce the horror, notably Dread's mechanic using Jenga tiles. After a few sessions, we gave up on it. Here's why.

I mentioned in the previous column how I sprung a horror game on players who didn't buy into it. But along with that change I introduced several mechanics to reinforce the horror, notably Dread's mechanic using Jenga tiles. After a few sessions, we gave up on it. Here's why.

Dread-RPG-Splash.jpg

How Dread Works

Jenga is a party game in which players slowly draw blocks from a wooden tower until it collapses. The goal is to not be the player who causes it to fall. It's a simple mechanic that generates a considerably amount of tension as each player's close call spells certain doom for the player who draws a block from the rickety tower after her.

Dread uses Jenga as a sort of countdown mechanic to represent the rising horror of things going terribly wrong in the game. Like Call of Cthulhu's sanity mechanic, there is no preventing the collapse, only delaying it at best. Unlike Call of Cthulhu, the Dread mechanic is a shared resource all players pull from as things get worse and worse, until the tower falls. I decided it would be a great way to introduce a fear mechanic to my players, who weren't really bought into the idea of role-playing weakness or terror in a D20 Modern game.

The first time we tried it, it was very effective in creating tension. But after a few more aborted attempts, we gave up on it.

The Tension Builds Until the Tower Collapses

Part of the fun of Jenga and Dread is that the tower has a conclusion. When the tower falls, it's both exhilarating and terrifying -- but then it's over. Rebuilding the tower takes time and, emotionally, the tension that started with the first game begins to wear off. I've always found the first game of Jenga to be magical and subsequent games played afterward less so. Similarly, in a role-playing game using the mechanic as a form of shared failure works until it collapses, and then there's a sense of relief. When the tower fell, I incurred a penalty to whoever knocked it over, but that wasn't fair either because...

Some People Have Shaky Hands

It had never occurred to me that my players might have a physical disability that might give them a disadvantage in-game. But the Jenga mechanic requires hand-eye precision and anyone who can't see well or their hands shake is at a distinct disadvantage. In a role-playing game where we're playing more competent characters than ourselves, the Jenga mechanic introduced a player's weaknesses into the game. This was the number one reason I stopped using it -- it wasn't fair to everybody.

It Requires a Steady Table

Role-playing game tables as boisterous affairs. People roll dice, they miniatures around, they reach for snacks, or they just gesticulate as they role-play. The number of times the tower collapsed by accident became too numerous to count. The tower turned into an obstacle to playing the rest of the game. We frequently played in different locations, and that changed the mechanic too when we couldn't find a steady table for the Jenga tower.

In the end we decided to nix the experiment. The idea was sound and Dread is an awesome game, but it's not quite as simple as importing the mechanic into a D20-style game where characters grow in power. For a one shot, it could be very powerful -- I like the idea of the collapse of the tower precipitating something drastic like a monster attacking or a character dying -- but for a campaign it ultimately wasn't for us.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

aramis erak

Legend
The tower turned into an obstacle to playing the rest of the game. We frequently played in different locations, and that changed the mechanic too when we couldn't find a steady table for the Jenga tower.
Gnome Murdered (by RPG Pundit) is mechanically similar... but uses a die throw instead of the tower. (and if you fail, the GM is supposed to narrate gnomes coming out and murdering your PC.)

Could a type of Scrabble work for a group that doesn't want a physical challenge? Something along the lines of:

• Everyone has a rack of ### letters.
  • Each time a player would normally pull a block, they instead have one minute to make a play worth ### points.
  • Re-draw letters normally.
  • Once a player is unable to meet the point requirement (including the possibility that tiles run out), treat it as knocking the tower over.

Just like Jenga, it changes the game to be cooperative instead of competitive, and has a guaranteed eventual failure. Needs some playtesting to get the numbers perfect. I would start with 7 tiles in a rack for a 4 player game, 6 tiles for a 5 player game, etc. I would start with a score minimum in the 12-18 range, but this could be variable based on the group.

Celebrim

Legend
I tried to play the kiddie version of this "Dread House" with my kids, and it just really didn't work. And, it really raised my skepticism for how the main game itself would play out, because not only do I think a lot of the problems we encountered would show up in the full game, but the "Dread House" version actually had a number of cool mechanics - like eliminated players get to play the monster - that I think actually solve major issues that the main game would have.

I have this suspicion that when Dread works for people it works because their emotional experience of the game of Jenga itself is one of nervous anticipation, anxiety, and well "dread" and that the game cultivates that or is intended to cultivate that. But, I'm not sure my experience of Jenga has ever been that, and that the game can add to Jenga what it doesn't have in the first place for me, nor am I sure that playing Jenga can add to the "dread" if it isn't in the game in the first place.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have this suspicion that when Dread works for people it works because their emotional experience of the game of Jenga itself is one of nervous anticipation, anxiety, and well "dread" and that the game cultivates that or is intended to cultivate that.

But, I'm not sure my experience of Jenga has ever been that, and that the game can add to Jenga what it doesn't have in the first place for me, nor am I sure that playing Jenga can add to the "dread" if it isn't in the game in the first place.

I think you're looking at it as a bit too all-or-nothing on the tower. The tower mechanic (or any alternative used) is intended to act as a contributor to the experience - an enhancement and support to player emotional engagement, much like lighting and soundtracks can be.

Will it necessarily work for you? No. But then, no particular mechanic is expected to work well for all players everywhere. This one apparently works for a lot of people.

Will it outright make all the tension for you in a scenario that doesn't have aspects of that innately to it? Of course not! That's not a reasonable expectation. If you play Toon with a Jenga tower, it doesn't magically become a horror scenario.

Celebrim

Legend
I think you're looking at it as a bit too all-or-nothing on the tower. The tower mechanic (or any alternative used) is intended to act as a contributor to the experience - an enhancement and support to player emotional engagement, much like lighting and soundtracks can be.

Will it necessarily work for you? No. But then, no particular mechanic is expected to work well for all players everywhere. This one apparently works for a lot of people.

Will it outright make all the tension for you in a scenario that doesn't have aspects of that innately to it? Of course not! That's not a reasonable expectation. If you play Toon with a Jenga tower, it doesn't magically become a horror scenario.

So you're agreeing with me?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads