• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Driders are opposite now: Discuss

IanArgent

First Post
This ain't the Forgotten Realms? (Though I suppose it could be changing in the Realms as well).

It's not like Eberron didn't do something similar with drivers; and in that world the Drow have a freaky scorpion thing going...

wayne62682

First Post
I agree with the sentiments echoed above: Given that Lolth is depicted as a drider herself, it made no sense at all that she would punish Drow by turning them into spider-drow hybrids... like herself. Now, I guess it could be argued that she was cursed to her present form by Corellon after being defeated in her revolt, so it would thus be a punishment, but I don't recall any fluff actually stating that fact.

The new fluff makes much more sense to me.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Moved to the general forum since this isn't about rules, but flavor.

Here's the general warning: if this thread becomes a battle in the edition wars, expect to have extended vacations.

Vocenoctum

First Post
From the thread title, I clicked to read if they had made driders into spider torso/head creatures with the lower body of a drow chick or something...

Vocenoctum

First Post
Damn good idea. It never made sense the other way around. Of course, don´t say that over at Candlekeep...

The old way made sense to me, Lolth made her failures useful to her. The driders were looked down on, but were thrust to the fringes of the cities and served some purpose.

The new driders are okay also, no big deal. It does make it odd to have them be a reward, since it raises the question then of what the other drow priestesses have done to not be rewarded thusly.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
To the drow, their own image was one of pure, divine perfection. Being turned into a horrible half-creature was indeed a curse, because it stripped them of what they saw as their goddess given beauty and turned them into beasts. I don't really MIND the new change, but I question its neccesity.

As for Lolth being a drider, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Drow worshipped her not as a drider but as a drow female. And yes, her own transformation WAS a curse.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads