• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drinking While Gaming? Warning -- mature content (I hope)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
My former -- and still very occasional -- DM liked to drink during games. He rarely drank enough to become buzzed, but always drank enough to get seriously gassy. Eventually we had to cut him off for that reason alone.

I drink very occasionally at the table, but never more than a beer or two. I've also gamed on varying amounts of pot. (Generally speaking, I'm fine playing on pot, but my DM skills go way downhill with the first hit. I didn't enjoy it much in either case.) Finally, I've played on X a few times, which, frankly, I highly enjoyed. I found that it sharpened my perceptions and focused me, while simultaneously loosening inhibitions and creating controllable euphoria. (As an aside, I'm a semi-pro poker player, and my hourly win rate goes up noticeably when I play while rolling. I've not done it often enough to draw valid statistical conclusions -- and probably never will -- but so far it's been the case in 100% of X-enhanced sessions.)

Belegbeth

First Post
Man, what's with all the puritanism on this thread?! And how could drinking 2-3 beers over a 4-5 hour period (standard gaming session) interfere with anyone's ability to play DnD? If anything, I've found that it helps people relax a bit and get into the game.

Gosh, I'm posting way too much on this thread... :eek:

diaglo

Adventurer
do a google search for Arturick and the phrase "WHAM! Dig, Dig, Dig"

i've always been a beer & pretzels gamer even when i was in middle school ;)

edit: i'm not Artie...just an interesting read.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Two quick comments, as I read these responses and alternately wince and grin at the irony:

(1) I'm bemused by the attitude of the many folks so far who are so vehemently anti-drug-user. (Not anti-drug ... anti-drug-user.) It reminds me exactly of the jerks back in undergrad -- fratboys, usually -- who were vehemently anti-RPGer. Gamers used to be among the most tolerant groups I knew ... in the past few years, that's changed significantly.

(2) I'm amused by the few folks who have said, "I've never played with someone who used drugs, and never will." Sorry, guys, but in most cases you'd never know, and in most cases you probably already have. Nobody at the table except me would know if I were stoned or rolling, unless I decided to share the information.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I occasionally have a beer or two (1/2 litre cans, of around 5.2% alcohol percentage).
It's good for stress relief and helps me concentrate.
Drinking more than this would quite possibly be detrimental, though.

My players don't normally drink at my games, though one of them also runs a game (in which neither me nor my other players are in) where everybody is often getting quite drunk.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Well I have only had 2 exp with drinking and gaming
the first was anchient we were 17-19 and had no idea about moderation.
I vividly rember telling a player to shut up because a gaint blue smurf had just eaten his spelljamming halfling. Then the other palyers rolled for int. vs smurf.

we don't drink at games, 2 of 6 are teetolers and that settled it.
no one else I have played with has even suggested it. I am such a light drinker anyway that 2 glasses of wine will buzz me, 2 white russians will cause motor problems.

Last week I had a Drunkard NPC who was questioned after coming home from a bar. I had a strong temptation to do a shot or two before begining the conversation. We were playing at the non drinkers house though *shrug*

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I don't drink alcohol at all and cannot abide being arround people who are activly intoxicated. Flashbacks to the drunks on a graveyard shift fast food job maybe. I was in one group where guys would occasionally have a beer with dinner or bring "something good" to share one each, but thats it. I wasn't thrilled at it, but it was ok. (though on one hot summer day the power was out at the house we were gaming at. No fans, no AC, baking heat. One guy brought a twelve pack of beer he'd put in his freezer before coming over and the guys were drinking them. So I asked for one. Everyone gave me a weird look, because it was well known that I (as well as another friend in the group) was a complete teetotaler. The guy who brought the beer was skeptical, but I kept asking until he gave up and handed me one. I promptly pulled out the neck of my tank top and stuck the icy cold bottle down my cleavage. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: He made me give it back since I was "wasting" it, but it was worth it for that moment of shocking cool...)

In terms of smoking anything, I'm way too chemicly sensitive to be at a gaming table where smoking was allowed. Even when one guy in another group took outdoor smoking breaks I had to make sure that he sat well away from me when he got back or the smell clinging to him would give me a headache. Similarly, I couldn't game at a house were people regularly smoked even if they weren't smoking at the time. Luckily that has never been a real issue.

Kahuna Burger

Calico_Jack73

First Post
As the DM I limit my beers to two and only 2 (sometimes 3) of my players will drink 2 or 3 beers themselves. Two beers over the course of a 4 hour gaming session is nothing. :)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
wilder_jw said:
I'm bemused by the attitude of the many folks so far who are so vehemently anti-drug-user. (Not anti-drug ... anti-drug-user.) It reminds me exactly of the jerks back in undergrad -- fratboys, usually -- who were vehemently anti-RPGer.
I can imagine your point of view, but comparing people to "jerks" is uncalled for and could spark off a flame war.

So don't do it, please, everybody, nor respond in kind. Thanks.

- Darkness,

Calico_Jack73

First Post
wilder_jw said:
Two quick comments, as I read these responses and alternately wince and grin at the irony:

(1) I'm bemused by the attitude of the many folks so far who are so vehemently anti-drug-user. (Not anti-drug ... anti-drug-user.) It reminds me exactly of the jerks back in undergrad -- fratboys, usually -- who were vehemently anti-RPGer. Gamers used to be among the most tolerant groups I knew ... in the past few years, that's changed significantly.

(2) I'm amused by the few folks who have said, "I've never played with someone who used drugs, and never will." Sorry, guys, but in most cases you'd never know, and in most cases you probably already have. Nobody at the table except me would know if I were stoned or rolling, unless I decided to share the information.

I like to consider myself a fairly tolerant person though I'd still immediately
leave a group if there was drug use involved or boot the person out if it were my group. Nothing personal but I've got too much to lose. I work for a government contractor and my work requires a security clearance. If the investigators were to find that I spend a lot of free time with a drug user it would raise a few eyebrows where I don't want them to be raised. Personally I wouldn't care as long as the player showed up to the game on time and ready to play and played well. I'd be just as ticked off at a player who showed up smashed on booze as one who showed up stoned. Do it on your own time, not mine.

Back to the subject at hand... sometimes I'll serve a particular beverage if it fits the setting for the game. I'll pick up a bottle of good ale (not beer) or meade if I plan a significant tavern setting in the game. The scent and taste of the beverage can sometimes help immerse the players in the scene.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads