DriveThruRPG.com to release 3.5 edition Dungeons & Dragons titles in eBook format

sckeener

First Post
I do not mind the prices.

Admittedly it would cost me less to scan it myself legally. As an example, buy FC1 at Buy.com for $17, scan it in 3 minutes, and ocr it in 15 minutes....still cheaper than buying at full price. Remember to scan in the receipt (w/your name and the product on the receipt - basically watermark your pdf) My scan though would not be as small nor as good a copy as drivethrurpg's though.

What does annoy me about drivethrurpg's offer of wotc books is the pdfs are still DRM. I can't stand DRM. I'd rather have watermarked. I already write my name in my books so they don't get confused at the gaming table. I do not have a problem with my name on every page. I have already had to change computers twice...DRM does not make that easier.

Still...they will have me as a customer.

Kestrel

Explorer
I like having pdf copies of the books I already own, but at these prices I would basically be buying the book twice. No thanks. :(

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Nightfall said:
Yeah well apparently they haven't figured out cheaper is better for PDFs.

Somehow I figure that WotC wouldn't do this if the trial run they did wasn't sucessful enough to support this strategy.

Unless someone else has any numbers to back it up, I'm taking this move as an indication that the initial trial release of WotC D&D books through Drivethru was successful. Even with DRM and the price level.

Otherwise I fail to see why WotC would do it again without changing the parameters.

But if anyone has any other figures, numbers, or results about the first trial run that indicates that is was a qualified failure, I'm willing to listen.

As I said in another thread, I'm not buying because of the DRM (I would consider it if the files were Watermarked), but the fact that they are releasing more books using the same strategy as before indicates to me that enough people did buy them to make it worthwhile for WotC.

/M

Aus_Snow

First Post
Maggan, you may have caught me out there. :eek:

In that, I heard about the history of this from someone on these boards, a while back. And that's what I was basing my comment on. My bad.

As I (or rather, as 'they') recall, WotC apparently tried the same thing at the same place, and it failed dismally. I think the first part is true.. I'm just not sure about the last.

I agree that logic would dictate not repeating an obvious error.. without a darn good reason. Therefore, as they are going over the same ground, it must've been at least partly successful. As you say.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Aus_Snow said:
I agree that logic would dictate not repeating an obvious error.. without a darn good reason. Therefore, as they are going over the same ground, it must've been at least partly successful. As you say.

Well, it is conceviable that they are losing money on the venture, but are putting it down as advertising, or research or whatever.

/M

JustaPlayer

First Post
There was a big stink about the pricing of the original books they placed on DT as well. WotCs response was that they didn't want to undercut the book market and if you didn't like it don't buy.

I thought the resonse was funny being that I could get the books much cheaper on Amazon.

Are they still electing to use DRM on these? I know the earlier ones are still only DRM. Oh well..... Two reasons I won't be buying them.

JustaPlayer

First Post
Maggan said:
Somehow I figure that WotC wouldn't do this if the trial run they did wasn't sucessful enough to support this strategy.

Unless someone else has any numbers to back it up, I'm taking this move as an indication that the initial trial release of WotC D&D books through Drivethru was successful. Even with DRM and the price level.

Otherwise I fail to see why WotC would do it again without changing the parameters.

But if anyone has any other figures, numbers, or results about the first trial run that indicates that is was a qualified failure, I'm willing to listen.

As I said in another thread, I'm not buying because of the DRM (I would consider it if the files were Watermarked), but the fact that they are releasing more books using the same strategy as before indicates to me that enough people did buy them to make it worthwhile for WotC.

/M
Well, I don't think there is much chance of losing money on a venture like this. All we are really talking about is storage space on a hard drive. Heck I got my 500GB hard drive for $200. No, even at those prices it can only be a win/win situation for both companies.

Aus_Snow

First Post
JustaPlayer said:
Well, I don't think there is much chance of losing money on a venture like this. All we are really talking about is storage space on a hard drive. Heck I got my 500GB hard drive for $200. No, even at those prices it can only be a win/win situation for both companies.
Well... except if it costs WotC any substantial amount of money just to have their PDFs hosted there. I think that might be so. Therefore, there's still a possibility - as far as I'm aware - that they could lose money this way.

I'm unsure as to whether they made money, lost money, or broke even in the past. I have no idea what will happen this time, either.

Maggan said:
Well, it is conceviable that they are losing money on the venture, but are putting it down as advertising, or research or whatever.
And yeah.. true. Always a possibility when you're talking about a large company.

sckeener

First Post
Nebulous said:
I should ask...what is DRM exactly?

DRM is Digital Rights Management. In the case of Adobe's method of DRMing PDFs, you register your PDF. The first time you open the PDF it registers on the Internet. This usually is not a problem since you just downloaded it. It links the PDF to your accout [passport] and that PC. If you take the PDF to another pc, you will need access to the internet and have to register that computer to open the pdf. I can't remember what the max number of pcs is..... I know I use 3 computers myself, my work, my home and my pda. Their is no problem opening the PDF offline as long as you registered the file once and are on the computer you registered it on.

The problem comes in if you ever lose your account information and change pcs. You can not then register the PDF. The big question for me is will I be able to open these files in 15 years. I can still open my books in hard copy in 15 years, but there are very few files I access easily from 15 years ago or 1991. I was still using DOS 3.3 in 1991.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases