drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour - Book II: Inheritance

drnuncheon

Explorer
About damn time, Nuncheon!

Yes, it is, isn't it. But there you have it, after only a month or so. Hopefully I will be a little more regular with these going forward!

J

Lela

First Post
Re: About damn time, Nuncheon!

Talk about that careful what you wish for thing. Now you're a noble. You have servents, luxury, tax revenue, more people who want to kill you, and a logistics nightmare involving tax revenue, servents, and even what people are supposed to call you.

Happy death day!

drnuncheon said:
Yes, it is, isn't it. But there you have it, after only a month or so. Hopefully I will be a little more regular with these going forward!

J

YAY!

And all it took was some prodding in another thread. I'll remember that.

Jon Potter

First Post

drnuncheon said:
But there you have it, after only a month or so.

And just when I'd finally given up hope!

Hopefully I will be a little more regular with these going forward!

That's what I like to hear.

Tell me, DrN, did you pick up 'A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe' to generate some of these complications for Di'Fier or do you just have a better grasp of feudalism than I did prior to picking up the book?

And I love the scene with Dru in the bar. I finally picked up Bluffside (chiefly because of your comments on the setting, BTW) but I haven't had a chance to read through much of it yet. So I never know who's a published NPC and who's all yours, but I really like the one-handed vet. A very memorable character and he hasn't even said anything yet!

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re: About damn time, Nuncheon!

Jon Potter said:

Tell me, DrN, did you pick up 'A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe' to generate some of these complications for Di'Fier or do you just have a better grasp of feudalism than I did prior to picking up the book?

I did a lot of research between the time I decided I wanted to run Legacy of Threehills (sometime around 'Terror in Freeport', I believe) and the time I actually did - MMS:WE is definitely a part of it, as are the Birthright 3e playtest rules that I'm using as the basis for his governing. I fold, spindle and mutilate things, though, so it's not entirely like the system that was used in our own world. (Read: don't base any history papers off of this story hour, kids!)

Right now, I think Di'Fier is dreading meeting his feudal superior, the Marquis of Riverwood. But that's Book III.

Jon Potter said:
And I love the scene with Dru in the bar. I finally picked up Bluffside (chiefly because of your comments on the setting, BTW) but I haven't had a chance to read through much of it yet. So I never know who's a published NPC and who's all yours, but I really like the one-handed vet. A very memorable character and he hasn't even said anything yet!

Jakob is my own addition, named after the founder of the town. When he went to join the army, he gave up his share of the inn to his younger brother, who married Chessa (from Brief Expeditions). You'll be seeing more of him in Book 2.

One or two more updates, and then I think I'm going to start a new thread for the last plot arc of Inheritance - this one's getting a bit full

drnuncheon

Explorer
The dwarf was hideous, even by matchlight. No, Dru corrected herself. Especially by matchlight. The tiny flame wavered as he applied it to the end of his cigar, illuminating the ruin of the right side of his face as he puffed the tobbacco into glowing coals. A clouded white eye stared out from a twisted mass of scar tissue, fixed sightlessly on the pair. Two steel-grey braids hung from his chin - the rest of his hair was shaven or burned away.

He didn't seem concerned by the weapons pointed at him. He made no move for the oversized axe that leaned against his chair. Instead, he reached over to light the lamp that Di'Fier had been seeking, then rolled the match between his thick fingers to douse the flame. "A couple of lucky amateurs," he repeated.

"Who the hell are you, and what are you doing in our rooms?" Dru demanded, the point of her rapier never wavering.

"Put it down, girl," the dwarf said. "You'd never have known I was here if I hadn't let you. I ain't here to fight. I'm here to talk."

"Then talk fast." Dru didn't lower the blade an inch. "Who are you?"

The interloper took his time, leaning back in the chair and blowing a cloud of smoke into the dim light. "Names are power, especially in my business. You can call me...'One-Eye'."

"And what do you want?" asked Di'Fier. Unlike his partner, he'd lowered his sword - but his open hand curled into the proper shape to conjure a forceblast.

"You." The dwarf let that sink in a moment, then continued. " There’s a real pretty speech they want me to read, but I don’t hold with that bullsh-t. I’m going to tell it to you straight, and if that doesn’t sell you, then you ain’t the right people for the job."

"I work for the Tribunal," One-Eye continued. "You probably ain’t heard of them, but they make sure that certain things don’t get out of hand. Like that little incident with the Lighthouse you dealt with. That kind of thing is too important to leave to the locals...or adventurers." He pronounced the word with the same scorn that Dru did. She slowly lowered her own blade, still watching the dwarf carefully.

"Trouble is, there ain’t enough of us field agents to go around. Tangling with rogue wizards ain’t a great way to an increased life expectancy." He leaned forward, shadows from the lamp tracing the scars on his face. "So things get missed. Like the lighthouse, or what happened up in Luzern — an entire barony turned into walking dead before we got someone in there to stop the problem."

One-Eye leaned back, the chair creaking, and took a long draw on the cigar. "So, the Tribunal’s recruiting, and they’re looking at you, after hearing what a couple of their agents had to say. Here’s the deal: You don’t get glory. You don’t get pay. More than likely, you get a closed casket funeral, and that’s if there’s enough left of you to bury." He let it hang there a moment, then spoke one word: "Interested?"

Dru looked at her companion. "No pay...but we get to kill wizards. That's a plus. Do we get to keep their stuff?"

Downstairs, in the common room, the patrons of Brocail's could hear the roared laughter of a dwarf.

Jon Potter

First Post
At last! The Tribunal!

You dropped a hint somewhere along the line that Dru was looking at a wizard-killing PrC (I don't remember which one now) and I assumed that this was how it was going to go down. Good to see my deduction was correct. :)

And another great NPC with 'One-Eye'!

Drusilia Nailo

First Post
Ah yes. Now I finally get to start using Dru's hatred of wizards as something more than grumbling about them all the time (though I doubt she ever stops doing that!)

Jon Potter

First Post
Drusilia Nailo said:
Ah yes. Now I finally get to start using Dru's hatred of wizards as something more than grumbling about them all the time (though I doubt she ever stops doing that!)

It wouldn't be the same if she did! :D

Lela

First Post
Reminds me of the sci-fi campaign in which I'm a 4.5 foot rat. These guys bring me to their headcorters out of nowhere and tell me they want me to hunt dragons for them. DRAGONS!

Naturally, I asked what would happen to me if I refused. The answer, of course, was dragon bait.

Seems the only real difference between the two is I get paid for doing it willingly.

Of course, we're still first level and havn't seen a dragon yet. But I have my casket picked out (it's in my will). I want it to be burried whether or not I'm in any shape to be put in it.

Zarthon

Explorer

drnuncheon said:

J

Happy days :), It's good to hear about Dru & Di'Fier again.

Remove ads