D&D General Drow in early D&D

Voadam

Legend
Right they are just squid-faced telepathic aliens who can turn you into one of them:

1623443438220.png

who can use psychic energy to blast minds,

1623443841093.png

and who have giant elder brains central to their society.

1623443479019.png

:)

DrunkonDuty

he/him
The Ood certainly have a mindlayer look and mindflayer powers. But they don't have mindflayer culture.

Wait on... is that the point someone was making above? I think I've lost the thread.

The Ood certainly have a mindlayer look and mindflayer powers. But they don't have mindflayer culture.

Wait on... is that the point someone was making above? I think I've lost the thread.
The Ood are certainly a deliberate subversion of mind flayers, but being subversive is what Doctor Who does. I'm not sure how the discussion got here, but Chris Perkins does something similar with the gnome-flayers in Rime of the Frostmaiden (although you could run it as a straight combat encounter).

Was the point that you can't make something both completely alien and morally nuanced? In which case I would say that it isn't true.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Was the point that you can't make something both completely alien and morally nuanced? In which case I would say that it isn't true.
The point (if you are serious about not remembering the origin of this sub-thread) is that someone declared that if you make drow not Always Evil, then you might as well say that mind flayers are all just misunderstood and really all just good inside.

I pointed out that there was a big difference between a humanoid who has been raised in a terrible religion and an predatory, parasitical alien entity.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I think the point is that the mind flayers literally can't live without killing other intelligent beings--they need to consume the brain of a being with Intelligence 7 or greater if I remember right or they starve to death.

You could theoretically raise drow with non-evil values and they wouldn't be evil. (I mean, I guess some of them would, but no more than other humans.)

Weiley31

Legend
In regards to hair color, in Romanian vampire myths, the Strigori(Vampires) usually had red hair. Or that deceased red heads were more likely seen as coming back from the dead as vampires.

Yaarel

He Mage
This image is from Vaesen, the Horror Roleplay Game, by Free League. It is awesome, exploring the darker side of the Scandinavian folk belief.

In it is a picture of a family, with the hair-color temperaments. Blond mellow rational, black somber protective, red fiery, gray dissociated. The expressions are so spot on, surely the artist is portraying these temperaments intentionally. But who knows, perhaps the artist is expressing these worldview concepts unconsciously.

Vaesen - Horror Roleplaying Game (Free League 2020).png

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
This image is from Vaesen, the Horror Roleplay Game, by Free League. It is awesome, exploring the darker side of the Scandinavian folk belief.

In it is a picture of a family, with the hair-color temperaments. Blond mellow rational, black somber protective, red fiery, gray dissociated. The expressions are so spot on, surely the artist is portraying these temperaments intentionally. But who knows, perhaps the artist is expressing these worldview concepts unconsciously.

View attachment 138181
does brown mean the same as black?

Remove ads