D&D 5E Drudge, a magical laborer background - advice sought

Do you think a magical laborer should be proficient in an artisan's tool?

• Limited options to those that are considered "laborous"

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Any tool

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • One game of chance/skill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 3 30.0%

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm working through a series of about 40 Backgrounds that I'm creating for 5e. One that is perplexing me is the Drudge, a name I've assigned to the magical laborer who augments their hard work with utility cantrips like Mage Hand. Where I'm hung up is not on the cost of cantrips (they will pick 1 or 2 from a specific list), nor on their core skill (Athletics), nor on their feature, nor on all the personality suggestions.

I'm hung up on whether they should have a tool or not.

aco175

Legend
I voted none. Giving a few cantrips should cost something, even it you get mage hand and prestidigitation to start with. I would maybe give a language to start over a tool.

When I think about a magical laborer I tend to think about a failed apprentice to a mage or school. Not sure what you were intending.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm working through a series of about 40 Backgrounds that I'm creating for 5e. One that is perplexing me is the Drudge, a name I've assigned to the magical laborer who augments their hard work with utility cantrips like Mage Hand. Where I'm hung up is not on the cost of cantrips (they will pick 1 or 2 from a specific list), nor on their core skill (Athletics), nor on their feature, nor on all the personality suggestions.

I'm hung up on whether they should have a tool or not.
Serious question, how is that different from a magewright?
1614563366688.png

more

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
When I think about a magical laborer I tend to think about a failed apprentice to a mage or school. Not sure what you were intending.
My intent is to fit that within the scope. Also the inborn ability to use Shape Earth to help with digging a ditch.

Related to your other point. I'm probably leaning at 1 skill, 0-1 tools, 1-2 cantrips

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
About as different as the Background of Soldier is different from the various NPCs that are Warrior, etc.
Ok... can you elaborate on that, I asked because your description does not seem to convey any tangible differences between magewrights & your "drudge" concept beyond a different name

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Ok... can you elaborate on that, I asked because your description does not seem to convey any tangible differences between magewrights & your "drudge" concept beyond a different name
You're asking about the difference between an NPC that characters would meet/interact with and a Background that a PC starts with?
I may have made the false assumption that those differences were clear in 5th edition.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You're asking about the difference between an NPC that characters would meet/interact with and a Background that a PC starts with?
I may have made the false assumption that those differences were clear in 5th edition.
So you aren't willing to shed light on how your idea differs from a well fleshed out idea in multiple published 5e books because I didn't track down a background version of the concept?... Sorry I'm not sure how to help you.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
So you aren't willing to shed light on how your idea differs from a well fleshed out idea in multiple published 5e books because I didn't track down a background version of the concept?... Sorry I'm not sure how to help you.
I own Ravnica, and I'm unaware of my concept duplicating a Background within that book. I'll re-read.

The Background will be a player facing choice with a skill, maybe tool, equipment, traits, ideals, bonds, flaws.

There are additional differences in that the magewright has access to spells with levels, the Drudge does not. Also, the Drudge is being created wrapped around the idea of using magic to supplement "unskilled" labor.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I own Ravnica, and I'm unaware of my concept duplicating a Background within that book. I'll re-read.

The Background will be a player facing choice with a skill, maybe tool, equipment, traits, ideals, bonds, flaws.

There are additional differences in that the magewright has access to spells with levels, the Drudge does not. Also, the Drudge is being created wrapped around the idea of using magic to supplement "unskilled" labor.
magewrights are & eberron thing not ravinica & more like saying tradesman. not all can cast spells & he spells are limited to expensive ritual version of ones inked to their trade. Other sources have included chef launderer & mason (maybe even a reference to a farmer a one point too), it's hardly a bachelor's degree. I'd give them a tool related to whatever trade they are in & require the cantrip cast like artificer spells depending on what the list looks like
1614565702757.png

Remove ads