D&D 5E Druid Class, Wildshape: Which feats are retained when in Wildshape form?

Remathilis

Legend
Would dependent on what the skills or tools were. Let's try to follow our own system and just say "Int/Wis/Cha" based skills, sure. "Str/Con/De" based skills, unless the animal has proficiency with it, no.

"You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours."

Sounds like any proficiency you get via Skilled or Resilient, unless the creature form in question has a higher bonus.

Lastly, my ruling on Mobile came from this.

"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

Feat is another source. If a human can walk 10 faster than another human, I don't see why a wild shaped bear wouldn't move faster than another wild shaped bear.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
If bites and claws are being stated as "melee weapon attacks", by-the-book, then I suppose they do. Seems obviously against the RAI...and they always matter more to me than RAW.

of course claws and such are melee weapon attacks. What should they be otherwise? There are two kinds of melee attacks. Spell and weapon attacks. Claws are obviously no spells.

Vael

Legend
Now, what about feats that bump stats? Does that part apply to Wildshape? Does a Druid with Resilient (Constitution) have to add +1 to the Con of any creature he changes into?

Now, what about feats that bump stats? Does that part apply to Wildshape? Does a Druid with Resilient (Constitution) have to add +1 to the Con of any creature he changes into?

No, simply because it sets your physical stats, rather than modifying them. You become joe average bear. A weak druid with a 6 strength doesn't become a weaker than average bear and an 18 strength orc druid doesnt become super bear.

Geistrin

First Post

I'd give the character "the benefit of any features from class, race, or other source... if the new form is physically capable of doing so." That means I WOULD give ability score bumps, because those are class and race features that animals are physically capable of using. Some bears are stronger, healthier, and/or more agile than other bears. I would also be pretty liberal with feat use, considering natural weapons cause weapon attacks for the purpose of feat use.

As far as I can see, none of this breaks the game even remotely. Moon druids are pretty powerful early on, but that tapers off quite a bit as other classes catch up. No big deal.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
No, simply because it sets your physical stats, rather than modifying them. You become joe average bear. A weak druid with a 6 strength doesn't become a weaker than average bear and an 18 strength orc druid doesnt become super bear.

But the saving throw proficiency from Resilient feat is retained right

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Does a Character need to adjust attacks, skills etc. based on the new stats of the Wild Shape. A few examples:

If a character is proficient with Athletics and the Wild Shape form increases their STR from 12 to 16 then their Athletics skill increases by +2?
If the Wild Shape form has proficiency in Perception with a value of +3, however a Character has a Wis of 16, is not proficient in perception and is level 10 (Prof Bonus +4) therefore the final Perception skill is +7?
Do you add your proficiency bonus to all attacks when in Wild Shape form?
Do you add your proficiency bonus to all Wild Shape proficiencies or is it just based on HD of the Wild Shape?

PnPgamer

Explorer
But the saving throw proficiency from Resilient feat is retained right
Wild shape entry says that you keep all skill and saving throw proficiencies. Source doesnt matter.
Does a Character need to adjust attacks, skills etc. based on the new stats of the Wild Shape. A few examples:

If a character is proficient with Athletics and the Wild Shape form increases their STR from 12 to 16 then their Athletics skill increases by +2?
If the Wild Shape form has proficiency in Perception with a value of +3, however a Character has a Wis of 16, is not proficient in perception and is level 10 (Prof Bonus +4) therefore the final Perception skill is +7?
Do you add your proficiency bonus to all attacks when in Wild Shape form?
Do you add your proficiency bonus to all Wild Shape proficiencies or is it just based on HD of the Wild Shape?
You add your proficiency bonus to the forms ability bonus IF physical. Mentals you use whichever is higher, your Normal character sheet or beasts statblock. Attacks never change for wild shape, use the creatures own attack statistics.

Last edited:

Remove ads