• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Druid metal armor restriction gone?

Yaarel

He Mage
It doesn't seem to be in the playtest.

What do you guys think about this? I'm guessing the majority will appreciate this.
Yes, I appreciate the Druid character being capable of wearing metal armor.

I hope I am in the majority on this.

If a Druid multiclasses to access metallic armor, or spends a feat, the metal armor is appropriate to the character concept.

Also certain Druid subclasses should be able to wear metal armor, such as one that specializes in the Earth element.

ChameleonX

Explorer
I prefer it this way. Now the player isn't reliant on a permissive DM to have a decent AC. If the DM doesn't allow them to flavor their breastplate as non metallic for some reason, they're not forced to stick with inferior options.

ChameleonX

Explorer
Note that I am really lowballing the offence coming from the paladin, fighter and barbarian in these tests, particularly as they level up, but I am more interested in survivability.

If we go up to level 10, when the 2014 druid's elemental forms come online, their survivability doesn't really improve (because those forms cost 2 wild shapes each), but their melee offence is much stronger, assuming they use fire elemental form. As far as tanking goes, the 2014 moon druid continually declines (relative to other tanks) after level 4 and never really recovers until level 20, when it basically gets infinite HP.

I think the 2024 version as currently proposed is improved design but needs some tweaks to boost its offence a bit.
Would an extra attack bring them in line?

Or perhaps their Lunar Form at level 14 could give them 1d8 extra radiant damage on top of their Primal Strike damage?

aco175

Legend
Just saw this in the new Pathfinder update, not sure what it means for 5e update but looks like most people are ok with this one slipping away.

1695384100376.png

mamba

Legend
one of then dumbest "flavor" mechanics.

source in 3.5e of hordes of druids of Mielikki(she allows her druids to wear metal armor).
or just hunt for dragon hide, duskwood breastplate, living armor or similar workarounds.
still more flavor than getting rid of it outright…

Valetudo

Adventurer
I'm hopi g it's gone. I like to flavor my druids a little different and if you prefer you can always just decide to wear nonmetal.

Remove ads