• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Druid metal armor restriction gone?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I don't want the metal restriction removed--I want more (and better) non-metal options for armor.

I don't mind the metal restriction for druids. It has been a part of that character class for decades, and I feel it really contributes to the lore and overall vibe of the class. Without it, the druid loses a bit of its distinction between cleric and ranger (and let's be honest: there's not a whole lot of distinction to begin with). But I can understand where players might be coming from: the druid class suffers the most in regard to armor options. The restriction isn't explained well, the penalties are undefined, and the class is written such that it does need armor but all options for it are uninspiring (at best). Hide armor + shield is pretty much the upper-limit for druids, and that's...kinda mediocre, isn't it?

So no, I don't want druids in chainmail. I want druids in chitin armor, or dragonscale armor, or gorgon plate, or ironwood. Here's a page from my homebrew campaign setting with some reflavored options to address this.

NON-METALLIC ARMOR OPTIONS FOR DRUIDS
Druids in this campaign can wear any style of armor that they like, as long as they are proficient. They just can’t wear the stuff that’s made of metal. So to make that happen, here are some metallic alternatives that can be made and worn by druids.

The Metal-Wearing Druid: the Player’s Handbook states that when it comes to armor, “druids will not wear armor made from metal.” Will not. No reasons are given, and there are no consequences mentioned for doing so. It doesn’t say “you can’t,” it says “you won’t.” So fine. Here’s some non-metallic armor for you.

CHITIN
Chitin is the hardened exoskeleton of monstrous insects, especially ankhegs and giant beetles. It is fairly common in the western isles, but can be hard to find elsewhere. It can be shaped into plates, but not interlocking rings. Shields, as well as scale mail, breastplate, half-plate, splint, and plate armor can be made from chitin. This material is quite common in the Western Isles, and is frequently used by members of the Golgari Enclave.

GOSSAMER
The silk from monstrous spiders, caterpillars, and certain fey creatures can be spun into thread that has a higher tensile strength than even mithril. These silk strands can then be woven into fabrics that are nearly indestructible and impenetrable. Not that your opponents would ever notice; “armor” made from gossamer often looks no different than a finely-tailored corset, vest, or robe. Gossamer is one of the hardest fabrics to make, and one of the most expensive materials on the market…easily worth its weight in diamonds.

Clothing made from gossamer is considered armor, and gives your character an AC of 12 + Dexterity modifier. While wearing gossamer, any critical hit against you becomes a normal hit. Think of this as "adamantine for druids."

IRONWOOD
The druids of the Golgari Enclave can weave magic that strengthens, preserves, and hardens plant matter into durable tools and armor. WIth the proper rituals and ingredients, woven plant fibers, carved wood, even leaves and bark can be magically transmuted into durable, hard armor. Ironwood weapons, tools, armor, and shields are prized among the members of the Golgari Enclave, particularly in the Western Isles, but they are rare elsewhere.

UMBRITE
This is the boiled, hardened sap of a rare tree. It is extremely rare and extremely prized–and therefore, extremely expensive. Only the elves of Lunari know the secrets of this tree’s cultivation, and the methods to harvest and concentrate the sap. Umbrite is a hard, flexible solid when it is cooled, but when heated in a forge, it becomes as soft and malleable as any metal. Armor made from umbrite is exceptionally light and thin, similar to mithril: if the armor normally imposes disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks, or has a Strength requirement, an umbrite version of the armor doesn’t. Think of this as “mithril for druids.”

Last edited:

renbot

Adventurer
I'm pretty mixed. I like the tradition and the flavor of the restriction, but it plays out kind of wonky. There are basically four options if keeping it:

1. Non-metal armor that is as effective and priced similarly to comparable metal armor. Result: A "restriction" that isn't; a class feature that is pure flavor.
2. Non-metal armor that is more expensive and/or more difficult to obtain than comparable metal armor. Result: A tax on druids.
3. As 2014 druid. Result: Druids take an AC hit.
4. Easier to implement (i.e., no concentration and/or longer duration) magical bonuses to AC. Result: A different kind of tax on druids.

I think my preference would be if they went with #4 and made the bonus interesting in some way; e.g., a damage rider like Armor of Agathys or a bonus to Hide or something. Then the result would be "well, if I want some more AC I need to use a spell, but at least I get this other cool thing too."

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Feel free to reflavor metal armor as non-metal.
I wonder if this was the intent all along. Like, maybe WotC originally had a sidebar about how the armor that they choose isn't made of metal, and then for some reason it ended up on the cutting room floor. It certainly feels like they dropped a paragraph after "...won't wear armor made of metal," anyway.

Imagine if there had been just one little sidebar: "A druid won't wear armor made of metal, but that's okay, armor needn't be made from metal! Perhaps your druid's chainmail is actually made from woven vines of the ironvine plant. It's common for druids to make plate armor from the scales of dragons, or from the carapace of enormous beetles. Get creative!" Or something like that.

mellored

Legend
I wonder if this was the intent all along. Like, maybe WotC originally had a sidebar about how the armor that they choose isn't made of metal, and then for some reason it ended up on the cutting room floor. It certainly feels like they dropped a paragraph after "...won't wear armor made of metal," anyway.

Imagine if there had been just one little sidebar: "A druid won't wear armor made of metal, but that's okay, armor needn't be made from metal! Perhaps your druid's chainmail is actually made from woven vines of the ironvine plant. Maybe the druids in your campaign make plate armor from the scales of dragons, or from the carapace of enormous beetles. Get creative!" Or something like that.
Pretty sure every version of "iron wood armor" or whatever was the same AC as the metal version.

Just druid approved.

Undrave

Legend
I don't want the metal restriction removed--I want more (and better) non-metal options for armor.

I don't mind the metal restriction for druids. It has been a part of that character class for decades, and I feel it really contributes to the lore and overall vibe of the class. Without it, the druid loses a bit of its distinction between cleric and ranger. And let's be honest: there's not a whole lot of distinction to begin with. But I can understand where players might be coming from: the druid class suffers the most in regard to armor options. The restriction isn't explained well, the penalties are undefined, and the class is written such that it does need armor but all options for it are uninspiring (at best). Hide armor + shield is pretty much the upper-limit for druids, and that's...kinda mediocre, isn't it?

So no, I don't want druids in chainmail. I want druids in chitin armor, or dragonscale armor, or gorgon plate, or ironwood. Here's a page from my homebrew campaign setting with some reflavored options to address this.

I wanted the rule either gone or properly framed as an ACTUAL RULE and not a wandering piece of fluff text.

I think just not giving the base Druid the medium armor proficiency and letting the player choose to get it is the easiest way to fix it so it's not a hassle on the Druid player.

And if you want to promote a certain look for the druids, I think a carrot is better than a stick. Non metallic armor should have a positive impact on the druid.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Imagine if there had been just one little sidebar: "A druid won't wear armor made of metal, but that's okay, armor needn't be made from metal! Perhaps your druid's chainmail is actually made from woven vines of the ironvine plant. It's common for druids to make plate armor from the scales of dragons, or from the carapace of enormous beetles. Get creative!" Or something like that.
If that was ever a thing, it didn’t show up in the D&D Next playtest.

Remove ads