Druids and Multiattack

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, for a Druid that chooses to do a lot of wildshaping, yes, they qualify for it a lot of the time. Makes a very useful feat for the combat-druid; that Druid-9 that's Wildshaped into a Megaraptor attacking at Talons +12 (2d6+5), 2 foreclaws +10 (1d4+2) and bite +10 (1d8+2) from 60 feet away on a charge is very effective (without the charge, it's +10/+8/+8/+8). Moreso when the Druid also has a running Barkskin and four Greater Magic Fang spells running (which make the attack routine - on a charge - Talons +14 (2d6+7), 2 foreclaws +12 (1d4+4) and bite +12 (1d8+4)). If the Druid also has a Bead of Karma to buff up in the morning, that becomes Talons +15 (2d6+8), 2 foreclaws +13 (1d4+5) and bite +13 (1d8+5).

Additional items and buff spells, of course, make it worse; Longstrider, for instance, gives the Druid a charge range of 140 feet (70, in a surprise round).

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Well, for a Druid that chooses to do a lot of wildshaping, yes, they qualify for it a lot of the time. Makes a very useful feat for the combat-druid; that Druid-9 that's Wildshaped into a Megaraptor attacking at Talons +12 (2d6+5), 2 foreclaws +10 (1d4+2) and bite +10 (1d8+2) from 60 feet away on a charge is very effective (without the charge, it's +10/+8/+8/+8). Moreso when the Druid also has a running Barkskin and four Greater Magic Fang spells running (which make the attack routine - on a charge - Talons +14 (2d6+7), 2 foreclaws +12 (1d4+4) and bite +12 (1d8+4)). If the Druid also has a Bead of Karma to buff up in the morning, that becomes Talons +15 (2d6+8), 2 foreclaws +13 (1d4+5) and bite +13 (1d8+5).

Additional items and buff spells, of course, make it worse; Longstrider, for instance, gives the Druid a charge range of 140 feet (70, in a surprise round).
because every druid has seen a Megaraptor running around.. :p

Jack Simth

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
In general, it's a DC 18 Knoweledge(Nature) check to recognize an 8 HD animal (like the Megaraptor) on sight. A Druid-9 with max ranks in Knoweledge(Nature) ought to be able to make that without much difficulty - especially out of combat, taking 10.

If you'd prefer, though, we could go with a Dire Lion, instead; 40 foot base move, Full Attack of 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+7) and bite +7 melee (1d8+3) (as the Druid doesn't have Weapon Focus(Claw)) normally, 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+7) and bite +10 melee (1d8+3) with Multiattack, 2 claws +14 melee (1d6+7) and bite +12 melee (1d8+3) on a charge. You lose two points of natural armor, one natural attack, four points of Con, and 20 feet of land speed, but gain four points of strength, Improved Grab, and Rake; the Megaraptor has better racial skill bonuses, but otherwise the two are otherwise statistically identical for Wildshape.

mcgeedis

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:

Yeah. In the campaign I am currently in, we are in a Winterland scenario, where the warmest it has been in thousands of years is 35 F. Our DM is greatly limiting the animals that I can wildshape into. Needless to say, there won't be a lot of Dinosaurs running around.

Good thing is the Smilodon (Sabertoothed Tiger) and the Wolly Mammoth are available from Frostburn. :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
yipwyg42 said:
I was wondering if druids can take this feat for their wild shape abilities.
The answer to this lies in how the DM rules "levelling." Can you level while a 1Round/level is active? I personally don't allow, though not really based on balance concerns. I just don't like the MUD-like, instantaneous "Level!"

Jack Simth

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
The answer to this lies in how the DM rules "levelling." Can you level while a 1Round/level is active? I personally don't allow, though not really based on balance concerns. I just don't like the MUD-like, instantaneous "Level!"
At an hour/level per use, though, a Druid-8 could conceivably be in wild shape full time; the Druid-5 for 5 hours per day, the Druid 6, for 12, the Druid-7, for 21 hours per day (every waking moment, usually).

Any Druid seriously contemplating taking Multiattack is probably doing so because the Druid is spending a LOT of time in Wildshape.

Christian

Explorer
That is, indeed the question: do you qualify for feats based on abilities that you have only some of the time? I was able to convince my DM that I qualified for Multiattack for my shapeshifting druid (PHB2 alternate wildshape rules) on the grounds that it's an 'at will' ability. But you have to draw the line somewhere, and I'm not sure where it should be, or which side of it the wildshaping x times/day druid falls.

Jack Simth

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
... as opposed to a Rogue-4 dropping 8 ranks into a skill when leveling to 5th in which previously there were none?

Before the Rogue levels, he knows absolutely nothing about religion. After? Beats out many Clerics and most Wizards. Over the course of less than a week, unless you're using variant training rules or something.

It's just a granularity issue; there will be break-points of that nature in verisimilitude in any system (although some systems, like GUPRS, do things a bit differently... and just have different sets of break points).

Dimwhit

Explorer
Sure you can. The feat requires three or more natural attacks, which the Druid has. He has to wildshape to get them, but he still has access to those attacks.

It's a very nice feat, IMO. I use it all the time.

Remove ads