• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druids and Multiattack

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Kmart Kommando said:
that's why I said standard, of which those are not.

On the other hand, they are more appropriate for leopard and cheetah behavior... which is what should define the standard for a particular creature.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
So by "Claw primary, bite secondary is standard for everything", you meant "Claw primary, bite secondary is standard for everything except for non-standard things"?

-Hyp.
by "Claw Primary, Bite Secondary is standard" means 'Most of the creatures with claw and bite attacks use claw primary and bite secondary, except for a few logical exceptions, which probably make some sense.' A druid who gave up an animal companion and the full wildshape ability for shifting shouldn't be one of those exceptions. It's like: "oh, you're taking the more fun but less powerful ability? here, have a free dose of screw you too" :p

If the shifter variant druid is of a level where they are shifting into a reasonable facsimile of a tiger or a dire ape, it should act like a tiger or a dire ape, not a puma or a chimp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kmart Kommando said:
by "Claw Primary, Bite Secondary is standard" means 'Most of the creatures with claw and bite attacks use claw primary and bite secondary, except for a few logical exceptions, which probably make some sense.'

I have no problem with that.

But "Claw Primary, Bite Secondary is standard for everything" seems to go out of its way to preclude the possibility of exceptions.

Which is why I suggested "almost everything".

-Hyp.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I have no problem with that.

But "Claw Primary, Bite Secondary is standard for everything" seems to go out of its way to preclude the possibility of exceptions.

Which is why I suggested "almost everything".

-Hyp.
Much like English, there are exceptions to every rule.
Adding a power down to a power down is like adding insult to uhh.. claw/claw/bite..

cheetahs and apes don't really have much in the way of claws anyway. cheetahs' feet are for running, and apes should have slam attacks anyway. Until 2001, of course, when one picks up a bone club and invents the AoO.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kmart Kommando said:
Much like English, there are exceptions to every rule.

Like Cheetahs, Leopards, and Druids, apparently.

But what makes you say it's a rule? It's not stated anywhere that when a creature possesses claws and a bite, the claws will be primary. We have examples where the claws are primary, and we have examples where the bite is primary. In the absence of a rule, there can't be exceptions to it!

Some creatures have primary claws, and some creatures - and druids - have a primary bite.

cheetahs and apes don't really have much in the way of claws anyway. cheetahs' feet are for running, and apes should have slam attacks anyway.

Cheetahs and leopards. Apes have primary claws.

-Hyp.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Apes have primary claws.

-Hyp.
that's why I said should have slam attacks. a gorilla doesn't claw you, it beats you down like a pro wrestler pretends to.

Oh, and if there's no rule, then Druids should get Claw/Claw/Bite, because if there's no rule, picking claw primary isn't against the nonexistent rules.

There's no rule saying you have to take the SRD at literal meaning, but you do so when it suits. No different here.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kmart Kommando said:
that's why I said should have slam attacks.

Right - but you were lumping them in with cheetahs as if they were one of the two animals with a primary bite and secondary claws. That's cheetahs and leopards, not cheetahs and apes.

Oh, and if there's no rule, then Druids should get Claw/Claw/Bite, because if there's no rule, picking claw primary isn't against the nonexistent rules.

There's no rule that says the claws must be primary and the bite secondary for all animals. There is a rule that says the shapeshifting druid has bite primary and claws secondary.

-Hyp.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
There's no rule that says the claws must be primary and the bite secondary for all animals. There is a rule that says the shapeshifting druid has bite primary and claws secondary.

-Hyp.

Really? Where? So you're saying when my Druid shapes into a Bear, his primary attack is Bite and his secondary is claw/claw? Maybe I'm not catching all this argument, but I've never heard that.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dimwhit said:
Really? Where? So you're saying when my Druid shapes into a Bear, his primary attack is Bite and his secondary is claw/claw? Maybe I'm not catching all this argument, but I've never heard that.

Not the wildshaping druid; the Shapeshifter variant from PHBII.

-Hyp.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Right - but you were lumping them in with cheetahs as if they were one of the two animals with a primary bite and secondary claws. That's cheetahs and leopards, not cheetahs and apes.

-Hyp.
reading something that isn't there.

cheetahs have secondary claw attacks, but not much in the way of claws.
apes have primary claws, but not much in the way of claws, they do more pummel than claw, and many have wicked canines. monkeys, on the other hand, have primary bite attacks, but bigger claws than apes, relatively speaking.

Remove ads