• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Druids and taxidermy

Corwin

Explorer
Virtually everything we think we know about dinosaurs is conjecture based on their remains. That doesn't stop us from enjoying the Jurassic Park franchise. We consider their representations in those movies to be functional and believable. If a druid took the form of a brown bear after examining a stuffed one, I'd like to think he could guesstimate enough to functionally depict one. Maybe not pass as one among the real thing because he won't know behavior. But I don't think that's generally why a druid would turn into a grizzly anyway.

Also, all this is contingent on how much one like to apply the ol', "cuz magic."

Corwin

Explorer
All of this, of course, is contingent on the theory that the table is okay with the DM strictly overseeing what the druid can claim to have seen in their lifetime...

I’d agree with everyone else that the animals have to be alive.

But a jerk DM response would be to say "sure," but when they go to use one of the shapes they learned from the taxidermy, they in fact become just a taxidermied creature, unable to move or do anything. Hilarity ensues.

Corwin

Explorer
I wouldn't let someone turn into a chicken if the only one they've ever seen is in a bucket of KFC, either.
Ooooo! What if druids had to consume a part of animals to learn how to take on their forms. Like absorb its "DNA" (or magical essence if you don't want to get science-y).

Ooooo! What if druids had to consume a part of animals to learn how to take on their forms. Like absorb its "DNA" (or magical essence if you don't want to get science-y).

Good idea for an evil druid subclass, hunting down every critter (not just beasts) to up his/her wild shape lists.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
All of this, of course, is contingent on the theory that the table is okay with the DM strictly overseeing what the druid can claim to have seen in their lifetime...
True. I usually just assume a Druid knows all common Beasts and a fair number of giant ones. More exotic beasts would require a reasonable background or in game experience.

I've let a Druid character use that as their method to learn its form for wildshape rather than having to observe the animal. They had to eat several of its major organs, rather than just being able to munch off a chunk and run away.

A corollary to this thread.

There is a druid convention in the High Forest. The druids get together and wild shape into the different beasts they've seen so the other druids can add them to their repertoire.

Allowable?

Remove ads