• Divine

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Elemental

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Mixed

Votes: 4 7.8%

howandwhy99

Adventurer
If you're talking iconic D&D setting, then Druids are a religion and their power is divine. However it is of the prime material plane, which is made up of all the elements. So it is elemental as well. Primal might refer to the PM plane, but I don't know if it's actually referring to some recent game terminology.

DM Howard

Explorer
None of the above. Never liked power sources. I put power sources in the "my way or the highway" category of 4E. Sure you can re-flavor them but you can't really get around them.

slobster

Hero
I'll click in on a "None of the Above" and exactly what Ahnehnois says.

That said, if you had included a "Nature" or "Natural" in your poll, I likely would have voted for that...and no I do not consider "Primal" the same thing.

Why? I'm actually curious about what the difference is. I always thought that "primal" was a synonym for "powered by nature".

john112364

First Post
I voted primal, but I could see an excellent case for divine. I wasn't a big fan of the power sources of 4e, but I liked the flavor they gave primal. It was basically the spirits of nature granting power to Druids and shamans etc. So in essence it is "nature" or "natural" but one could also make a case for it being a form of divine power. I guess it's all in how you define it.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Why? I'm actually curious about what the difference is. I always thought that "primal" was a synonym for "powered by nature".

Well, my understanding of 4e anything is extremely limited, but I am led to believe that that is how primal was explained.

I think maybe part of the disconnect is with the fact that Druids and Barbarians were both considered "Primal" classes. When I think of those classes...there is just nothing about those two that I see common ground on.

For me the power of "Nature", as separate from "Primal" or "Divine", is that it taps into the forces/energies of the physical natural world. Not "Spirits of Nature" or "Ancient whozits that you call upon"...that strikes me as getting into the realms of the "Spirit World" and Shaman territory.

The Spirit world and the Physical world are obviously two separate things.

The way I flavor my world setting, that is simply different from the "Natural World." Mages don't really understand how Druid magic works but still believe themselves and their magic to be superior...Clerics don't really care how it works, but know it's not from the Gods, ergo Druids are heathens...or worse.

Well, that's how I see it anyway.

It's a 4E-ism that has no real importance.

Call the source of power what you want in your own game. There doesn't need to be an official 'label' for everything.

Remove ads