• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druids

Endevor

First Post
due note that it works like Alternate Form, which doesn't impose a HD limit, and Wildshape doesn't itself impose a HD limit - so you can technically be a 12 HD Dire Bear at 8th

I really don't understand this statment...
Nothing in the errata remove this :

From the SRD:
A druid can use this ability more times per day at 6th, 7th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, as noted on Table: The Druid. In addition, she gains the ability to take the shape of a Large animal at 8th level, a Tiny animal at 11th level, and a Huge animal at 15th level. The new form’s Hit Dice can’t exceed the character’s druid level.

The beginning of the Wild Shape say : "This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here."

I really don't know how you can think the HD limit vanish.

Jack Simth

First Post
Endevor said:
I really don't understand this statment...
Nothing in the errata remove this :

The beginning of the Wild Shape say : "This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here."

I really don't know how you can think the HD limit vanish.
That would be an issue with my skimming skills, I'm afraid (a lack of them). Drat. Oh well.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Jack Simth said:
Edit 2:
Wait - Vow of Poverty? Technically, you keep all Vow of Poverty bonuses in Wildshape (unlike when you wildshape with equipment; also technically, you can't have your Holly and Mistletoe, as it isn't on the list of permissible things).... oh, and do look up the various Exalted Wildshape feats. You might also want to try a 1-level dip into Monk - it'll boost your AC considerably.

My current druid is VoP, and I'd love to dip into monk. Unfortunately, you need to be good to be exalted (unless I REALLY missed something reading that book), and the only way druids can be good is NEUTRAL Good. Really, I realized mid-build, a cleric (possibly cloistered) w/ the monk dip would be stronger, but kept the druid cause I'd never played one before.

As for the artic environment, two things: is there any restriction saying you had to have lived there your whole life? Cause if not, you could still well know of other animals. Also, you should check out Frostburn, as they have some winter environment forms you could use. I think there's an actual Siberian Tiger in there!

Jack Simth

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
My current druid is VoP, and I'd love to dip into monk. Unfortunately, you need to be good to be exalted (unless I REALLY missed something reading that book), and the only way druids can be good is NEUTRAL Good. Really, I realized mid-build, a cleric (possibly cloistered) w/ the monk dip would be stronger, but kept the druid cause I'd never played one before.

As for the artic environment, two things: is there any restriction saying you had to have lived there your whole life? Cause if not, you could still well know of other animals. Also, you should check out Frostburn, as they have some winter environment forms you could use. I think there's an actual Siberian Tiger in there!
There's a trick to it:

Ex-monks maintain all Monk abilities, but cannot thereafter advance as Monks.

So your Lawful-Good Human Monk-1 can take Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty (Lawful-Good). However, said Monk encounters a very Lawful-Evil culture, and fundamentally objects to the Gestapo tactics, fleeing civilization and taking up a nature watch. Slip from Lawful-Good to Neutral-Good, and pick up a level of Druid at the same time. Works as a backstory provided you start at 2nd+. Starting at 1st, it requires some DM collaberation.

You can do it after, but it takes a bit of work; a NG Druid "slipping" to LG loses Druid abilities until the Druid Atones (and goes back to NG). Requires a little DM collaberation, and there's a very painful (power-wise) period of time in there... but the Vow of Poverty should help with that somewhat.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
yeah, basically to be a vop druid monk, you need to take monk for the first level, and then change alignment sometime in your first level to start taking druid levels at level2

dirkformica

First Post
If you're only dipping Monk to get Wis to AC, then the Ninja out of Complete Adventurer does the same thing and has no alignment restrictions. I think there's a class out of Tome of Battle that has it too, although I think you have to take 2 levels.

Edit: and isn't there a crazy template called Saint out of BoED that give Wis to AC?

Darklone

blargney the second said:
Yep, two levels of Swordsage gives you Wis to AC in light armor.
One level monk is better though if you don't want to lose more spellcasting and you only need the AC bonus in wildshape.

Drowbane

First Post
My latest druid just leveled fairly (insanely?) quickly from 5-8 (4 sessions), and it has proven to be alot of book keeping.

New spells, upgraded Animal Companion, new favored Wildshapes, and finally new favored Summons...

Moon-Lancer said:
yeah, I really don't care for the phb2 variant. considering wildshape is stronger in the long run, I dont see why one has to give up the animal companion as well. Its more of a rebalance if you ask me.

I could live with the PHBII variant... if only they didn't try to take away my "pet" too.

mcgeedis

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
basically wildshape and con damage is one of the hardest things to keep track of. their are no rules that determine what happens to your hit points when your con changes in animal form.

the best way i have found is assume you have two con scores. one of your base form and one of your wildshape form. Your wildshapes con effects your fort save and skills while your normal forms con effects your hit points. con damage damages both these con score at once.

Keep in mind i'm just making a suggestion this is a hole in the rules that could stop a game dead, at least for a little bit until its sorted out. .

What about CON boosts while Wildshaped? If I cast Bear's Endurance on myself while Wildshaped as a bear (via Natural Spell), then the hitpoints do increase then, correct?

While I am at it, what about the "Bite of the Were_____" spells from the Spell Compendium? For example, take Bite of the Werebear:

Bite of the Werebear
Transmutation
Level: Druid 6, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

You gain a +16 enhancement bonus to Strength, a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, +8 enhancement bonus to Constitution, and a +7 enhancement bonus to natural armor. Your hands become claws, granting you two claw attacks, and your mouth becomes that of a bear, giving you a bite attack. You can attack with both claws at your full attack bonus, but your bite attack takes a -2 penalty (as if you had the Multiattack feat). Each claw deals 1d8 points of damage (1d6 if you are small) + your Str modifier and your bite deals 2d8 points of (2d6 if you are small) + your Str modifier. You gain the benefits of the Blind-Fight and Power Attack feats, as well. If your base attack is +6 or higher, you do not gain any additional attacks.
Material Component: A tuft of bear fur.

Now, if I am already Wildshaped as a Dire Bear, do I gain the enhancement bonuses from Bite of the Werebear, effectively having a 47 Strength (Dire Bear at 31, +16 spell enhancement)? Apply the same to Con. Would I have a 27 Con (Dire Bear base of 19 +8 Bite of the Werebear spell enhancement) and the increase of 4 hitpoints per level? I can understand that I wouldn't gain anything from the claw attacks and bite attack granted from the spell, but I can just see this spell being a little too crazy if the enhancement bonuses apply. Even though it is a high level spell, a 47 Strength is rather fun to think about.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads