Drunken Master PC's and drinking items.

Lord Ben

First Post
Okay, we have a Drunken Master in our game. He wants to be able to fight and drink at the same time, and honestly he's weaker then the other players so I'd like to help him out. He's wondering if he drinks a slug of brandy instead of ale if he can get the benefits of multiple drinks? What about some sort of drinking hat to drink as a free action?

Know of anything that will help him out? I don't have a lot of Dragon or Dungeon magazines.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Lord Ben said:
What about some sort of drinking hat to drink as a free action?

There was one in the recent Dragon issue with the Gnome on the cover. I don't have that issue so I can't really tell you more than that.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Lord Ben said:
Okay, we have a Drunken Master in our game. He wants to be able to fight and drink at the same time, and honestly he's weaker then the other players so I'd like to help him out. He's wondering if he drinks a slug of brandy instead of ale if he can get the benefits of multiple drinks?

Well, if he drinks the same volume of brandy as he does of ale, he'll certainly be drinking more alcohol...but really, that's what the "Drink Like a Demon" class ability is all about.

Maybe he needs a +1 everfull wine gourd - not only is it always full of wine, it acts like a +1 bottle (that won't break), doing 1d6 bludgeoning damage and is able to be used with the Drunken Master's Bottle Proficiency.

J

S

shurai

They talked about this in Health class wen I was in high school:

1 beer (12 oz) = 1 glass of wine (6 oz) = 1 shot of hard alcohol (1 oz)

So a mug of beer is the same as a small glass of wine, which is the same as a shot of some harder stuff. Af for brandy, isn't it in between?

What you should really do is figure out the alcohol in one can of beer, and assume that this is "one drink" as per the drinking rules in S&F.

Also, you should definitely let him take 1 drink per turn as a free action, and extra drinks as move equivalent actions. It's true that drinking potions and the like are handled differently, but after all, this is a person who studies drinking as part of his martial art. :]

In real life, drunken boxing form I've seen uses all sorts of strange opportunities to drink, such as blocks and evasions. The act of drinking is built into the form, so for a drunken boxer drinking and fighting work together.

-S

FANGO

First Post
Well, the rules already cover how much a "drink" is...I believe (and im not looking at the book right now) that it is defined as "however much you can drink with one move-equivalent action." So really, you shouldn't be able to concentrate the alcohol in order to get the benefit of multiple drinks with one swig. However, when I had a drunken master a while back, the DM and I agreed on a few alterations that we thought fit the flavor and yet did not make the character appreciably more powerful. First, we allowed an item similar to the jug with the infinite water in it (brain fart, can't remember it's name), only with wine, so I could use it to drink in combat. Also, we agreed that during a full attack action I could use one of my attacks to take a drink rather than making an attack. With monk's getting multiple attacks rather quickly, and with their last couple attacks not having an incredible chance of hitting, this is a pretty good solution for both the monk and the DM, I think, and though using the last attack to make a drink each round is a little cheesy (I agreed with my DM that I would not make a practice out of doing this), as you say the character is a little less powerful so it's probably okay if you let him do that.

Lord Ben

First Post
It says you can consume a bottle of wine as a move action. It also says for every drink you consume you raise your stats by blah blah blah. The quantity that is a drink is deliberately left undefined.

So a bottle of wine could be 3 drinks right?

Zerovoid

First Post
Umm, I think the Drunken Master rules were purposely left pretty lose. Determining how much alchohal is in a drink, and calculating his BAC, aren't really supposed to factor into it. Basically, it takes a move equivalent action to take a drink...

I suppose a magical beer hat could allow him to get drunk faster, after all, there are plenty of other magic items that enhance class abilities. I'd just give him a magic sword or something if you want to make him better though.

Remove ads