Dry Spell

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Ogre Battle 4

"By Geldar's gooseberries!" Belisha shouts after the spell fails. Frustrated and seeing her comrades and Rufus in danger, she unleashes more spell power. Stepping a few feet closer to the melee, she begins to cast a magic missile spell. Bolts of light start to sparkle along her fingers, and after a few seconds, two missiles of magical force fly from her hands, dart around the heroes, and strike the ogre!

"You'll pay for that!" a wounded Eolan cries as he urges his warhorse forward to kick the ogre, and raises his sword for another blow. But this movement leaves Eolan open to an attack from the ogre. The giant, seizing the opportunity swings his massive club at the mounted warrior. With a sickening thud the club hits Eolan directly in the chest. The knight slackens in his saddle as damaged organs and internal bleeding take their toll. Without Eolan urging it on, the warhorse does not move in to attack the fearsome giant.

Rufus, snarls and barks, spittle dripping from his exposed teeth. He darts in to take another bite at the ogre, but is frustrated again as the monster fends off the attack.

Hardin steps sideways under the ogre's reach, attempting to keep the ogre between himself and Slyfen, and brings his warhammer around in a massive swing. Although pressed on both sides, the ogre is clearly heartened by his victory over the knight. He manages to deftly avoid the dwarf’s hammer.

Round 3

Slyfen steps a few feet to the side, in an effort to keep the ogre from escaping his flanked position. Using the cover provided by the tree to his advantage, Slyfen again stabs at the giant’s back. This time, though, the hide armor holds against the blade.

The ogre moves as if to head for the mouth of the cave. However, in doing so, he leaves himself open to additional attacks from Slyfen, Hardin, and the dog. The dog is again unable to make effective contact. But it’s a different story for the elf and dwarf. Nearly simultaneously, the elf’s rapier again enters the giant’s abdomen, piercing a lung, and the dwarf’s warhammer smashes into the back of his head, sending him sprawling dead to the ground.

The area fills with the weird calm that always seems to dominate after a battle. You once again become aware of bird and insect noises, a hot breeze, the smell of the nearby woods…and Eolan’s limp body on his horse.

OOC Notes:

Belisha
5’ step
Casts
magic missile as standard action
8 damage (Dmg rolls [1d4+1] 2 + 1 = 3 and 4 + 1 = 5)
ogre reduced to 10 hp

Eolan
Guide with knees automatically succeeds (DC 5)
Attempts to moves 10’ provoking AoO

Ogre
Greatclub hits (Eolan AC 17, Atk roll 11 + 8 = 19)
19 damage (Dmg roll [2d8+7] 5 + 7 + 7 = 19)
Eolan reduced to -4 hp and is dying
Eolan stays in saddle (75% chance, die result 41%)

Rufus
Bite misses (AC 16, Atk roll 8 + 2 = 10)

Hardin
5’ step
Warhammer two-handed flanking misses (AC 16, Atk roll 3 + 5 + 2 = 10)

Slyfen
5’ step into square with tree
gains +2 to AC, +1 to Ref saves
Rapier flanking sneak attack misses (AC 16, Atk roll 5 + 6 + 2 = 13)

Ogre
Attempts to move 55’ provoking AoO from Rufus, Hardin and Slyfen

Rufus
Bite misses (AC 16, Atk roll 2 + 2 = 4)

Hardin
Warhammer two-handed flanking hits (AC 16, Atk roll 17 + 5 + 2 = 24)
11 damage (Dmg roll [1d8+3] 8 + 3 = 11)

Slyfen
Rapier flanking sneak attack hits (AC 16, Atk roll 12 + 6 + 2 = 20)
15 damage (Dmg roll [1d6+2d6] 4 + 6 + 5 = 15)

Ogre is dead

I have awarded 225 XP to each PC for defeating the ogre. By the way, great role-playing this round!

Attachments

• Map6.gif
    Map6.gif
    70.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
"Timber!" Belisha shouts as the ogre tumbles. However, when she realises Eolan is gravely injured she rushes over.

She sighs at Rufus. "Look here dog this is what happens when you go off charging into fights. In future an Ogre would jump pick you up and munch out your vitals. So stay by me uh?"

If Hardin doesn't cast a CLW on him Belisha will feed him a CLW potion.

Brain

First Post
"Eolan!" Slyfen rushes over to the horse and steadies him in the saddle. "You can save him, right Hardin? It's not his time to go." Once Slyfen is assured that Eolan will be okay, he will make sure the Ogre is dead, and then look all around to be sure that the combat sounds didn't attract more creatures. After that, search the Ogre's body.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
"Timber!" Belisha shouts as the ogre tumbles. However, when she realizes Eolan is gravely injured she rushes over.

"Eolan!" cries Slyfen as he also flies to his friend's aid.

By the time Belisha and Slyfen are able to wrestle their companion down from his saddle and retrieve one of Belisha's potions, several seconds have gone by and Eolan has slipped a little farther toward death. Belisha then then uncorks the ceramic vial and trickles the green liquid down Eolan's throat. Eolan sputters and coughs a little as he returns to consciousness, shakes his head, and surveys the damage. He is clearly relieved to see the lifeless yellow heap nearby, no longer moving.

Slyfen, satisfied that Eolan is taken care of, decides to make sure the job at hand is really finished. Carefully checking the ogre, he feels that it has no pulse and that it is not breathing. The elf then looks around the area to make sure that no other enemies are in sight. When he has assured himself and the rest of the party that they are safe for the moment, the rogue searches the giant's body. However, aside from the hide armor and greatclub, the ogre has nothing of any value. And it would be difficult to find a taker for even these meager items.

While Slyfen is thus engaged, Belisha gives her guard dog a good talking-to. She sighs at Rufus. "Look here, dog, this is what happens when you go off charging into fights. In the future, an ogre could pick you up and munch out your vitals. So stay by me, huh?" Obediently, the dog sits and wags his tail, satisfied.

OOC Notes:

Eolan
Does not become stable (10% chance, die result 85%)
Loses 1 hp
reduced to -5 hp

Belisha
Administers potion as full-round action
Restores [1d8+1] 5 + 1 = 6 hp
Eolan restored to 1 hp
Handle animal check succeeds (taking 10)
Rufus will now perform Guard [Belisha]

Slyfen
Check for signs of life automatically succeeds
Spot check result 17 + 8 = 25
Search check result 10 + 10 = 20

Krug

Newshound
"Aye that was a brave thing you did, but you better rest before more ogre-slaying for you," she says. "I have some more potions but I say we should save them up, just in case. Might be more nasty ogres about, wouldn't you say Rufus?" She pats the dog, while Narkus gives an irritated, jealous hoot.

Galethorn

First Post
"Ah, much better," Eolan says as the healing magic flows through him. "I agree, I think I could take a bit more pummeling before my next nap."

(if the spell doesn't raise me above 50% hp, I'll drink the best healing potion I have in my inventory...I can't exactly remember what kind I have, however)

Krug

Newshound
"But let us thread cautiously then," says Belisha.

Marching order? Slyfen, Eolan, Hardin, Belisha, Rufus I presume

Last edited:

Remove ads