Dry Spell

Brain

First Post
Slyfen will do his periodic spyglass checking around before the group starts travel again, but after that if the coast is clear, goes back to his previous position ahead of the group when it travels.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Approaching the Lake

OOC:
I have awarded each PC 225 XP for the ankheg.

Slyfen checks the surrounding area with his spyglass, and sees nothing new (taking 20).

The party moves on, leaving the carcass of the dead beast to rot in the sweltering heat. Death behind, fear ahead.

As you make your way slowly across the grassland, the relentless sun beats down on your backs and shoulders. A dry wind begins to blow, moving the long brown grass in unceasing waves with a disconcerting sighing sound, and stirring up dust devils on the road. The farther west you travel, the closer the southern woods approaches the Allthrop road. Soon, you can distinguish individual trees, and you can just make out some of the underbrush in the inviting darkness under the canopy. The hill jutting up from the woods looms in the southern distance like the head of a giant’s corpse.

As the sun reaches its merciless zenith, you finally come upon the dried lake that Nerius Bootlum told you about. The lake is now little more than a lakebed. It is all cracked mud, scattered here and there with desiccating fish and toads. Close to the edges, the bed has already hardened to packed dirt. Farther in, the mud is darker and still a little moist. Small insects buzz about over a tiny puddle of brackish water in the center of the lakebed. As you approach, the smell makes you queasy.

Here the southern woods has encroached all the way to your position, and it grows right up to the edge of the lakebed to both the south and west. Making your way around the empty lake, you rejoice in the relief from the sun provided by the cover of the woods. As you examine the area, you notice two things. First, a clear, well-worn trail leads off to the southwest into the woods. Standing on the edge of the woods, you can see that it disappears around a gentle curve about 30 yards into the still, cool darkness. Second, a few hundred feet away, you discover tracks leading due south into the woods. The tracks are several days old, and the dry weather has hardened the ground—only a trained tracker could follow the tracks reliably in the woods. However, at least until they disappear into the woods, they seem to be headed in the direction of the hill.

Taking relief in the shade, you sit to have your lunch as you plot your next move. It is about an hour after noon.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Belisha takes out some jerky for Rufus and some grain for Narkus. "So which should we follow?" she asks the rest. "This dry lakebed is not... natural. It would seem the hill is the natural destination."

Galethorn

First Post
"I agree with Belisha," Eolan says with a thoughtful look on his face, as he strokes his stubbly chin.

"I wish I had a razor," he thinks to himself.

Brain

First Post
"I guess we can just follow the general direction of the tracks and head toward the hill."

Slyfen stows the spyglass in his bag carefully, because it won't be needed in the forest. He will walk with his bow in one hand, near the rest of the group.

Galethorn

First Post
Eolan follows after the elf after loading his crossbow, putting it on his back, and getting his sword and shield ready. He's on horseback.

"Keep alert. It's times like these that nasty things come out of the woodwork."

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
The Forrest

The party decides to move into the woods, headed toward the hill to the south. However, before moving out, Hardin spreads his hands in front of the warhorse, and calls Moradin’s healing power forth from the stones of the earth. Before your eyes, the wound on its chest begins to close, and the inflammation of infection clears up. While the wound is still undoubtedly there, it looks quite a bit better for the horse.

The woods are preternaturally quiet, with only the occasional bird call breaking the silence. Dim sunlight, filtering through the canopy, dapples the leaf-covered ground, casting everything in a weird brownish-green hue. The cooler air is a welcome change from the brutal swelter of the open road. While the undergrowth is not as bad as it could be, your travel is slower in the woods than it has been on the road.

Under the cover of the trees, the light fades more quickly toward evening. When it becomes too dark for the company to travel without difficulty, you settle down for dinner and sleep.

Day 5

In the morning, the party is well-rested, and the horse has recovered a little more. After about an hour for the cleric to pray and the wizard to study, the party heads off again. About an hour after noon, you begin to see the slope of the hill before you. After another hour or so, you break out of the woods again. The hill is encircled by an area about two hundred feet wide that has fewer trees than the woods.

Finding nothing of interest around this part of the hill, you begin to follow its gentle curve to the east. After another three quarters of an hour, you have made your way to the southeast of the hill. There, surrounded by scattered trees in the bright sun, you view the small entrance to a cave about 40 feet away. It is about 5 feet wide and 10 feet tall. You can see about 20 feet in before the sandstone tunnel curves sharply to the left.

OOC Notes:

Hardin
Cure moderate wounds die result [2d8+3] 5 + 2 + 3 = 10
warhorse now has 24 hp

Warhorse
Regained 4 hp through natural healing overnight
now has 28 hp

I need to know what changes, if any, the spell casters want to make to prepared spells. If I don’t hear from you, I’ll assume the same as yesterday. I also need to know which weapon, if any, each character has ready while walking. If I don’t hear from you, I’ll assume melee weapon.

The green squares indicate the squares actually containing the illustrated trees.

Attachments

• Map1.gif
    Map1.gif
    70.8 KB · Views: 65

Krug

Newshound
Belisha readies her crossbow instead. She'll be on the lookout for burrowing mammals she can speak with. ;)

Her spell selection is the same at the moment.

Remove ads