• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DTRPG and DRM

Flyspeck23

First Post
At least this time DTRPG isn't exaggerating: this is an exciting change (just in case you missed the news: DTRPG offers their vendors the option of publishing PDFs that aren't protected by DRM).

This is very good news indeed. Or isn't it?

Congrats to DTRPG. A step in the right direction (IMHO).

Cergorach

The Laughing One
If the publisher still chooses to go with DRM instead of Watermarking, you won't gain anything. Personally i find Watermarking not great either...

Voadam

Legend
This sounds great. I hope a bunch make the switch, there are lots I would like to get. Hopefully they will still have the one product a month free inducements still going.

Can anybody explain about the watermarking? It sounds like a unique identifier for each sale so they can track down copies that escape to a specific customer.

johnsemlak

First Post
Voadam said:
This sounds great. I hope a bunch make the switch, there are lots I would like to get. Hopefully they will still have the one product a month free inducements still going.

Can anybody explain about the watermarking? It sounds like a unique identifier for each sale so they can track down copies that escape to a specific customer.
This thread has a few details about watermarking, though basically what you say--a unique identifier for tracking copies--sums it up.

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114573&page=1&pp=20

TheLe

First Post
Question.

Does anyone know how hard it is for a publisher to sell stuff on DTRPG? And how are current publishers treated there? Are they treated equally and fairly or do they suck up to only the elite sellers?

`Le

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Le, write to them and ask for info on becoming a vendor (via the Contact page). You'll get an email with some preliminary instructions, and then they take it from there.
Dunno about their vendor relations, though.

Warden

First Post
thele said:
Does anyone know how hard it is for a publisher to sell stuff on DTRPG? And how are current publishers treated there? Are they treated equally and fairly or do they suck up to only the elite sellers?

`Le

I've found them to be professional and helpful, no different than RPGNow is should you run into a question. When I was first being set up, they were eager to try one of our products for their weekly free download and had it up within a couple of weeks. To date, I've had six sales on their site, so I haven't seen anything to indicate that their relationship with any clients is based on their sales record.

As for selling on DTRPG, from what I have noticed, is that the exclusive products such as White Wolf, Monte Cook, and WotC are the only stuff that's really selling. While it is worth trying as an extra option and I am considering switching to this watermark version instead, I dont' see it making it competitive to the sales that I continuously receive from RPGNow. But it's there for anyone that wants an Emerald Press product and the security that comes with it, from their perspective.

Nellisir

Hero
Warden said:
As for selling on DTRPG, from what I have noticed, is that the exclusive products such as White Wolf, Monte Cook, and WotC are the only stuff that's really selling.

The only time I've looked at DTRPG is to see what big-name books were available that I couldn't otherwise get in pdf. I haven't bought anything from them to date, but I'm glad to hear this announcement -- I was probably going to break down and buy the Dawnforge material from them when I got back from vacation. Now, I'd rather wait for the watermarked version and not bother with the DRM at all. I still intend to shop RPGNow for most of my pdf purchases, but there are a number of print products I'd really love to have in pdf, just to make my life easier (cutting and pasting OGC rather than copying).

Cheers
Nell.

Bagpuss

Legend
Cergorach said:
If the publisher still chooses to go with DRM instead of Watermarking, you won't gain anything. Personally i find Watermarking not great either...

What could be your problem with watermarking?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
This sounds like a very good thing. There are a goodly number of products that I would buy from DTRPG with watermarking that I would never consider with DRM.

Have my name on the bottom of every page? No problem! Not be able to print it up at work because without an internet connection you can't activate the DRM? Sorry, no sale!

Hopefully Mongoose is one of the companies to go this route. (I doubt WotC will.)

The Auld Grump

Remove ads