• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DTRPG and DRM

Yair

Community Supporter
Henry said:
On the front page of Drive-Thru RPG:

So, Eden Studios WILL be on the list of watermarked content eventually.

P.S. I'm not sure what you meant by "tree-killing" publishers; ALL of the publishers you mentioned produce printed product, as well as PDF. :)
I meant "tree-killing" is a good way :) (I meant those focused on making print products.)

Glad to see Eden Studios made the list. Nice catch!

johnsemlak

First Post
THe 'new' label is good to see. I'd venture to guess there will be more companies switching to watermarking, including possibly WotC.

BlackFalconKY

First Post
Down with DRM!

I truly hope WotC converts to the watermarking method. DRM is useless. I bought one DRM product and will never, ever, buy another one. I don't give a flying flip that the document has my name on it. I'm not out to share it with the world. I have money that I'm willing to spend on products. The fact is, books are no longer a viable gaming medium. After 17 years of gaming, I no longer have the space for more, nor the inclination to carry them around anymore. My campaign is run completely from HTML documents (basically the SRD with TONS of material added to it). I don't remember the last time I even saw one of my players carrying a Player's Handbook. If WotC wants my cash (and I have proven capable spend hundreds of dollars a month on RPGs for years ), they'll switch to PDFs that people can easily cut and paste out of.

Let's hear it for the PDF publishers! I scoffed when Monte Cook said PDFs were the future of gaming. But friends, I'm now a 100% convert and believer.

Charles Plemons

Voadam

Legend
ooh, more are now on the to convert list than the last time I looked! Come on Chaosium and FFG, you both have some good ones I want to get. Jump on this bandwagon.

Fiery James

First Post
Fiery Dragon is Watermarked

As noted, Fiery Dragon asked to be switched to the watermarking system as soon as the technology was ready. Just checked the update, and we're all done now, so no more DRM for us.

For a number of companies listed there, PDF publishing is very scary and they approach it with extreme caution. DRM was the device used to get them to dip their toe into the water -- hopefully, if the companies that have switched to watermarking report a boost in sales -- they'll reconsider and make the switch themselves.

But, I imagine a company like WotC has a very involved decision making process in this area and it will certainly take some time.

In the meantime, I'm very happy about the new process. Our sales of DTRPG have been very solid, and I look forward to more people have access to our products!

- James

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
rpghost said:
On a side note, Green Ronin is now releasing current books on http://www.RPGNow.com with endless cut and paste abillity and no-DRM or watermark.

Lets hear it for a company that trusts it's customers!

James

Right on - I WILL be picking up the Advanced Bestiary now as a sign of support.

Glad to hear about the changes these publishers are making. Now all you have to do is make your products available to me at RPGNow as well, and we're in business!

BryonD

Hero
Fiery James said:
In the meantime, I'm very happy about the new process. Our sales of DTRPG have been very solid, and I look forward to more people have access to our products!

- James

Continued luck James!

Any chance of a downloadable release of digital counter collection?

Fiery James

First Post
BryonD said:
Continued luck James!

Any chance of a downloadable release of digital counter collection?

We've discussed that extensively, and it's just a matter of figuring out how to go about it.

The file itself is massive. I've suggested laying out PDFs by type: An Undead collection, a Humanoid collection, etc... that may happen.

So: YES, it will happen. When or how, I don't know yet.

:)

- James

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads