• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DTRPG and DRM

Yair

Community Supporter
DTRPG is now selling these watermarked pdfs.
The publishers switching to watermarking include Malhavoc Press and White Wolf, which I think will increase the validity of the method. I was happy to find that Necromancer Games and Mongoose will be switching as well.
As expected WotC is apparently sticking with DRM, as do most of the tree-killing publishing industry (such as AEG, Eden Studios, and so on). I was personally disappointed that Eden Studios, Fantasy Flight Games, and it seems Inner Circle Games did not make the switch; they all have products I'll consider purchasing as pdfs. Perhaps given time, and positive feedback from White Wolf itself, they will change their ways.

Nellisir

Hero
Yair said:
As expected WotC is apparently sticking with DRM, as do most of the tree-killing publishing industry (such as AEG, Eden Studios, and so on). I was personally disappointed that Eden Studios, Fantasy Flight Games, and it seems Inner Circle Games did not make the switch; they all have products I'll consider purchasing as pdfs. Perhaps given time, and positive feedback from White Wolf itself, they will change their ways.

Disappointing, I agree. Does DTRPG have message boards? Maybe someone should start a non-editorializing, focussed thread saying "I bought X, X, and X because they were not DRM. I would like to buy Y, Y, and Y." That might be a polite way of giving the publishers some idea of the market for non-DRM products.

Cheers,
Nell.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I agree with Nell - the issue is of course a non-editorializing approach - a majority of these conversations have degenerated in the past.

DTRPG Mike Todd

First Post
Nellisir said:
Disappointing, I agree. Does DTRPG have message boards? Maybe someone should start a non-editorializing, focussed thread saying "I bought X, X, and X because they were not DRM. I would like to buy Y, Y, and Y." That might be a polite way of giving the publishers some idea of the market for non-DRM products.

We do indeed have message boards. :) Just go to http://www.drivethrurpg.com, and at the top and toward the right there will be a link to Forums.

I'm glad to hear that people are happy with this change as I'd hoped everyone would be. I've been putting a lot of work into the technical end of it to make things as smooth as possible -- I was here at work until 5am one morning setting up the servers. So far, I'm just happy to see that the system seems to be working (minus a few minor glitches which I've fixed).

As to Cergorach's concern... on the site there's a link in each product explaining what a watermark is like. There's a sample image in that, but I'll post it here too for your convenience. :) Hope this doesn't break any formatting or anything.

Watermark-Sample.jpg

Now, I might be biased, but that seems to me like a pretty innocuous watermark to me.

Yair

Community Supporter
DTRPG Mike Todd: Thanks for working so hard on it, it really is a great thing. I can actually download stuff from you now (I had technical problems with DRM), and there are plenty of products I want to buy! So at least to the extent of my ability, you will be generously rewarded... :)

Nellisir: I think posts on the individual publishers' forums would actually be preferable (assuming they have any). But yes, posting "I want to purchase X but it is DRMed, would it be possible to make it watermarked? Pretty please?" should be effective. Well, as effective as such things can be.

DaveStebbins

First Post
DTRPG Mike Todd said:
Now, I might be biased, but that seems to me like a pretty innocuous watermark to me.

Yeah, I downloaded my first product there, the free Necromancer module Morrick Mansion, and looked through it. I had to go back and look at it again later (when I remembered) and search to find the watermark because I had totally missed it the first time. I'll definitely be looking at the non-DRM products now.

-Dave

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Mongoose at least is making the switch. Mind you the book I went looking for isn't listed yet, but it will be watermarked instead of DRM.

I was a bit dissapointed with the watermark though - I wanted my name to be in BIGGER LETTERS!
[/egomaniac] :p Actually it seemed about right, but hey...

The Auld Grump

Cergorach

The Laughing One
DTRPG Mike Todd said:
As to Cergorach's concern... on the site there's a link in each product explaining what a watermark is like. There's a sample image in that, but I'll post it here too for your convenience. :) Hope this doesn't break any formatting or anything.

Yup, if that's all then it's pretty neat...
DRM didn't stop me from buying, watermarked files won't either...

Henry

Autoexreginated
Yair said:

On the front page of Drive-Thru RPG:

Watermark Conversion Priority Order
Malhavoc Press (Complete)
Necromancer Games (Complete)
Morrigan Press (Talislanta) (Complete)
Goodman Games (Complete)
WorldWorks Games (Complete)
Fiery Dragon (Complete)
Mongoose (Complete)
Z-Man Games
Dream Pod 9
Arthaus
Sword Sorcery Games
Pisces All Media
Pinnacle (Great White Games)
Bastion Press
BTRC
Politically Incorrect Games
QuikLink Interactive, Inc.
Eden Studios (new!)
Living Imagination (new!)
RPGObjects (new!)
White Wolf
Guardians of Order (new!)
M.A.R Barker's World of Tekumel (When Content Arrives)
Ronin Arts (When Content Arrives)

So, Eden Studios WILL be on the list of watermarked content eventually.

P.S. I'm not sure what you meant by "tree-killing" publishers; ALL of the publishers you mentioned produce printed product, as well as PDF. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads