D&D 5E Dual melee setup for rogue

Keule

First Post
Hello folks,

i read various guides for the rogue in the d&d5e edition. Almost every guide describe the possibility to set up a rogue with a dual melee (e.g. two daggers or two shortswords). I think a rogue should use in first line their melee attacks and in case of tactical
use he can use the bow.
I understand that the rogue must make an attack with the main hand and use an bonus action to attack with the off-hand. The rougue must have TWF to do so( MC in fighter class) But no rogue has a bonus action that he can use for 2nd hand attack. The cunning action ist only for dash, disen, and hide. So how does this work with the dual melee???

Thx and best regards

Keule

There are two things you may have missed:

1) You don't have to multi-class over to fighter. The only thing that the fighting style gives you is that it lets you add your Dexterity bonus to damage with your off-hand attack, and that's not super important for a rogue, since the point of using two weapons is that it increases the chance of landing a sneak attack, and sneak attack only works once per turn.

2) Everyone can use two-weapon fighting, even if you don't have any class features that allow it. Wizards can use two-weapon fighting with daggers. Goblins can use two-weapon fighting with shortswords (if they give up their shields). Literally everyone in the world has the option of fighting with two weapons, which lets them spend a bonus action to make an off-hand attack, and the only catch is that the off-hand attack doesn't add their stat bonus to damage.

Keule

First Post
Thy saelorn for the quick answer.

At point 2 you talk about the bonus action. But were can I (were can get the rogue in my case) get the bonus action for the 2nd attack?
The cunning action is not the bonus action I can use. The PHB says I can only use three options with cunning action.

Best regards

Keule

thorgrit

Explorer
I don't have PHB handy, but it's in the SRD. Under Combat / Making an Attack / Melee Attacks / Two-Weapon Fighting
http://5thsrd.org/combat/making_an_attack/#melee-attacks

When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.
If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.

This is a general rule, available to anyone, and not part of the rogue class.

Oh, but it's probably worth mentioning that you can only get one bonus action on your turn, no matter how many different sources would give you a bonus action. Even though everyone gets a bonus action for dual-wielding, and a rogue can also hide or dash or disengage as a bonus action, you can still only do one of those things on your turn. If you use your bonus action to make a second attack, then you can't also dash or disengage as a bonus action on that turn.

S'mon

Legend
Hello folks,

i read various guides for the rogue in the d&d5e edition. Almost every guide describe the possibility to set up a rogue with a dual melee (e.g. two daggers or two shortswords). I think a rogue should use in first line their melee attacks and in case of tactical
use he can use the bow.
I understand that the rogue must make an attack with the main hand and use an bonus action to attack with the off-hand. The rougue must have TWF to do so( MC in fighter class)

No, anyone can TWF with any 2 light weapons with no to-hit penalty, using bonus action for off hand attack as noted. No attribute bonus to off-hand attack damage, but for the Rogue the main thing is 2 chances to do Sneak Attack damage.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Thy saelorn for the quick answer.

At point 2 you talk about the bonus action. But were can I (were can get the rogue in my case) get the bonus action for the 2nd attack?
The cunning action is not the bonus action I can use. The PHB says I can only use three options with cunning action.

Best regards

Keule
The second attack bonus action is something that anyone can do if they have two light weapons and use the attack action.

Cunning action is a rogue ability that provides additional options for rogues to use with their bonus action.

Page 195 of the players handbook has a section on this.

Keule

First Post
The second attack bonus action is something that anyone can do if they have two light weapons and use the attack action.

Thx that is the info that i need to know.
Now for me is clear that:
I can use two light melee weapons ->attack mainhand + mod and bonus action for attack off hand with no mod///

Thx for patience

Best regards
keule

CapnZapp

Legend
Those rogue guides might well mention dual wielding melee as a possibility, but they should not recommend it.

As a rogue you're soft and squishy. If possible, stay out of melee and let the tanks soak the damage.

You won't be dual wielding, but you should find it relatively easy to get the next best thing: attacking with advantage also allows you to roll two dice to increase your chance of delivering your sneak damage.

Remove ads