Dual Wielder vs. Polearm Master

Quartz

Hero
Sure, but you can’t wield two of them. A Frostbrand coupled with a Flametongue, or pair any legendary weapon with a second of equal or lesser value. Sure, you may never get them, but you CANT wield two legendary weapons if you’re using polearmes.

Of course you can. You just have to use your imagination. Maybe your Flametongue Polearm has a Butt Cap of Icy Doom (aka Frostbrand).

Oofta

Legend
That's inconsiderate if not poor adventure design.

I has nothing to do with adventure design, people running AL games are not allowed to modify the items listed. So if an NPC in a mod has a magic halberd, you get a halberd. Or rapier or warhammer, etc.

But irregardless, I think the difference between the two is small enough that it doesn't matter. Add in the +1 to AC, ability to draw (and throw) two weapons, the bigger damage die for your off-hand weapon and I think it's more personal preference than anything.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I has nothing to do with adventure design, people running AL games are not allowed to modify the items listed. So if an NPC in a mod has a magic halberd, you get a halberd. Or rapier or warhammer, etc.

But irregardless, I think the difference between the two is small enough that it doesn't matter. Add in the +1 to AC, ability to draw (and throw) two weapons, the bigger damage die for your off-hand weapon and I think it's more personal preference than anything.

Not entirely true. If the DM has run enough mods to complete a specific "DM Quest" for the season the mod is from, they are allowed to add a minor magic item to the adventure - and one of the options is a +1 weapon. I've seen a couple of +1 halberds handed out this way.

Plus, when running one of the hardback book adventures, you frequently roll for random treasure, which may result in a magical polearm. Not something I'd count on, but DM's have been known to "adjust" the random rolls. And a very few mods give the players a choice. (White Plume Mountain from Tales of the Yawning Portal gives an option for a +2 weapon of your choice from the NPC who hired you if you successfully complete the adventure. I have a character with a +2 hand crossbow as a result of that, and another with a +2 quarterstaff)

But there are more reliable methods. I have a Hexblade Pact of the Blade Warlock who uses a Halberd (reskinned as a large scythe) for her pact weapon, and with Improved Pact Weapon it's a +1 Halberd for her. (For her the Hexblade is literally the Grim Reaper's scythe...)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
There's nothing stopping the DM from changing a magic sword into a magic halberd. Maybe that magic 'dagger' is actually a magic spearpoint with a broken haft?

PAM is only overpowered when the players get to pick out magic items.

Both are optional rules. It's silly to complain about optional rules combining to create something unbalanced.

Personally I find picking out your magic items takes the magic away from them. One of the main reasons I disliked 3e.

tglassy

Adventurer
I don’t know. The Frosbrand Rapier i bought, because the DM was inexperienced and didn’t know how rare or powerful the weapon could be even though it has no modifiers, became a staple of my longest living character, a Rogue. He named it The Common Cold. Because he got a kick out of killing people with the common cold.

T also saved his life on a number of occasions, being that it granted resistance to fire. Hit with a 50 point fire blast? And I failed my dex Save? 50/2 from Evasion = 25/2 from resistance = 12.5 Damage. Have at thee, sir!

Oofta

Legend
Not entirely true. If the DM has run enough mods to complete a specific "DM Quest" for the season the mod is from, they are allowed to add a minor magic item to the adventure - and one of the options is a +1 weapon. I've seen a couple of +1 halberds handed out this way.

Plus, when running one of the hardback book adventures, you frequently roll for random treasure, which may result in a magical polearm. Not something I'd count on, but DM's have been known to "adjust" the random rolls. And a very few mods give the players a choice. (White Plume Mountain from Tales of the Yawning Portal gives an option for a +2 weapon of your choice from the NPC who hired you if you successfully complete the adventure. I have a character with a +2 hand crossbow as a result of that, and another with a +2 quarterstaff)

But there are more reliable methods. I have a Hexblade Pact of the Blade Warlock who uses a Halberd (reskinned as a large scythe) for her pact weapon, and with Improved Pact Weapon it's a +1 Halberd for her. (For her the Hexblade is literally the Grim Reaper's scythe...)

For AL, you can always get one through your faction as well. I did not know about the "DM Quest" option though, I've only been doing AL for a couple of months.

On disadvantage of dual wielder is that it works better if you have two magic weapons, which depending on your campaign may be hard to come by. All assuming of course that your DM rules that the butt end of a weapon is also magic.

tglassy

Adventurer
It’s only a disadvantage if you count having a magic weapon as a given. No magic weapons are assumed, so there’s no disadvantage. If there are, however, dual wielding has an advantage.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A comparison

1. Polearm Master.
a. Defensive Fighting Style
b. Strength Stat
c. 1d10+str mod damage
d. 1d4+str mod bonus action attack damage
e. Reaction attack when approached

2. Dual Wielder
a. Two Weapon Fighting Style
b. Dexterity Stat
c. 1d8+dex mod damage main hand and off hand
d. can effectively use a bow / darts / daggers for ranged damage when desired
e. higher dex score affects initiative

A few indirect benefits of polearm mastery:
1. Can be used with Great Weapon Master Feat
2. Can be used effectively by character's that don't get two weapon fighting style (aka barbarians and paladins)

Polearm Mastery is likely the stronger feat but Dual Wielding with the feat and using dex for your primary stat is just as good in not a little better IMO (unless you are using great weapon master or a character class that doesn't get to the two weapon fighting style).

Remove ads