• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dublin RPG scene?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I am moving to Dublin this week, and am curious about the RPG scene there (with the hope of ultimately finding a good RPG group, of course).

So are there any Dubliners on these boards who can help me out?

I have three questions:

(1.) What are the good game stores? I would especially be interested in stores that support non-WotC and non-WW stuff (independent and smaller games in addition to the ‘big guns’). I’m also interested in knowing if there are any stores that support ‘game nights’ (i.e. nights with ‘pick up’ games where players can try out new RPGs, etc.), or help gamers meet other gamers (via bulletin boards, websites, or game nights).

(2.) Are there any decent conventions held in Dublin? If so, when and where?

(3.) Are there any mechanisms available for linking up with other players and/or new groups (in addition to those mentioned in my first question)?

For what it’s worth, some info about me: I’m a ‘mature’ (34 years old), well-educated (Ph.D.) Canadian male. I’m very clean (do not smell of cat piss, but sometimes curry), and know how to interact with other human beings (including ‘women’). In Dublin, I will be a lecturer at Trinity College (I previously taught freshmen at Stanford University). I’ve just left a great group of gamers in the San Francisco area (all mature, hygienic, non-autistic gamers), and am hoping to link up with a similar group in Dublin.

In terms of gaming interests, I would love to GM the following games: WFRP (2nd ed.), Castles and Crusades (my homebrew setting), and True 20 (Middle-earth). I would also be interested in GM’ing Angel/Buffy and Conan OGL. So any info about stores that stock these games would be most appreciated.

As a player, I would be happy to play anything with a good GM, but I know the following systems reasonably well: d20 Modern, D&D (I’ve GM’ed 3.0, 3.5, RC, and 1st ed.), HARP, Rolemaster, GURPS, and BRP (including CoC and Runequest 2nd ed.).

Sorry for the long personal ad part of this inquiry.

Thanks for any help!
:D

Last edited:

Hey there Akrasia! :)

The following link should cover most of your needs.

http://www.slovobooks.com/irishsfnews/features_gaming_in_ireland.php

There are 6 conventions this year, two remaining.

Of those the big convention is gaelcon, held in Clontarf Castle in October:

http://www.gaelcon.com/

I'm not sure how you could go about getting into a group in Dublin. But I am sure someone at one of the conventions would help.

If you are lecturing at Trinity College then I am sure someone there will tell you about Leprecon, which happens in the spring, at Trinity College itself.

Anyway I hope I have been of some help. Good luck with both the job and happy gaming! :)

WillieW

First Post
The 3rd Place
17 Crow Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
Manager: John Hendrick
Opening Hours Monday to Saturday 10.00 AM : 6.30 PM
Thursday 10.00 AM : 8.00 PM
Sunday 12.00 PM : 6.00 PM
Selling: comics, graphic novels, action figures, statues, model kits, t-shirts
Telephone: 00353 1 633 6964 (calling from Dublin, just dial 633 6964)
Contact email: info@irishcomicshop.com

The 4th Dimension
17 Crow Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2 (under The 3rd Place)
Manager: Gavin Castles
Opening Hours Saturday 11.00 AM :6.30 PM
Sunday 1.00 PM: 7.00 PM
Selling: gaming supplies, CCGs, RPGs, Heroclix
Telephone: N/A
Contact email: the4thdimension@yoritomo.com

Sub City
2 Exchequer Street, Dublin 2
Manager: Robert Curley
Opening Hours Monday to Wednesday 9.30 AM : 6.30 PM
Thursday 9.30 AM : 8.00 PM
Friday 9.30 PM : 7.30 PM
Sunday 12.00 PM : 6.00 PM
Selling: comics, graphic novels, action figures, t-shirts, gaming supplies
Telephone: 00353 1 677 1902 (dial locally as mentioned above)
Contact email: robsubcity@eircom.net

For figures etc: Games Workshop, Liffey St. and Blanchardstown in Dublin and also a Belfast shop.

I've found these guys very helpful with mail order:
http://www.gamersrealm.ie/

Some other links at
http://www.gameeire.com/links.html

Some more at
http://www.iworg.com/directory.html

scadgrad

First Post
Hey Willie,

I was always a fan of your mods back in 2nd ed DUNGEON mag. Are you still writing? I just don't recall seeing any of your work in print recently, but IIRC you were a huge contributor to DUNGEON back in the good old days, or should I say "in the rare old times."

By the by, don't let this Akrasia fellow into your groups. He's one of those C&C-types and a rabble-rouser to boot. :D

@Akrasia

I'm so envious of your Trinity appointment. The wife and I would love to relo to the "old country." Sadly, MFAs are just about as common as dirt and I guess I should consider myself lucky to hold the position that I do. Perhaps I'll track you down the next time I'm in Dublin, maybe next Summer even if I can scounge up enough "extra work" so that I can skip Summer semester 06. Good luck with the position and finding a new group.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Thanks for the info, Upper_Krust and WillieW! :)

(And my apologies for the plethora of typos in my original post. I shouldn't start threads at 3 a.m.)

And thanks for your support, scadgrad. Let me know if you manage to visit Dublin next year. :cool:

Rydac

Explorer
To add to the above tips. You can also get gaming stuff at Forbidden Planet. It is near the ha'penny bridge on the south side of the Liffey. My experience is that they are usually a bit
more expensive than the other places mentioned and don't usually get my gaming dollar, but sometimes. Forbidden Planet does carry mostly non-WoTC stuff.

The Dublin Sci-fi club meets in Broker's pub on Dame street (about a block from Dublin castle)
on the first Tuesday of each month and some of the members are also gamers. Meeting in the same bar on the same night are some gamers as well. Often seems to be a D&D game and some
CCG in play usually.

I should be at the September meeting or I'd be happy to meet you for a beer sometime and
give you the ex-pats lay of the land. Just drop me an email. I'll be away for a week starting tomorrow to attend Worldcon in Glasgow, but anytime after that is fine. What part of the city are you planning to live in?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Thanks for the info, Rydac.

Rydac said:
I should be at the September meeting or I'd be happy to meet you for a beer sometime and
give you the ex-pats lay of the land. Just drop me an email. I'll be away for a week starting tomorrow to attend Worldcon in Glasgow, but anytime after that is fine. What part of the city are you planning to live in?

That's very kind of you! I'll send you a pm about getting together for a pint in the near future.

I don't have a place in Dublin yet. My plan is to stay in college accommodation while hunting for an apartment over the next week or so. I think it would be nice to live relatively close to downtown (at least for my first year), so that I can walk to work, but a friend of mine is urging me to find a place in Dun Loghaire.
:cool:

Baragos

First Post
There are 6 conventions this year, two remaining.

Actually there are 3 cons remaining, as Dominicon 2005-2 will be held in November. The Website isn't ready yet, but hopefully soon it will be...

WillieW

First Post
scadgrad said:
Hey Willie,

I was always a fan of your mods back in 2nd ed DUNGEON mag. Are you still writing? I just don't recall seeing any of your work in print recently, but IIRC you were a huge contributor to DUNGEON back in the good old days, or should I say "in the rare old times."

By the by, don't let this Akrasia fellow into your groups. He's one of those C&C-types and a rabble-rouser to boot. :D

Thanks scadgrad... I've not submitted anything for many years, but I'm not *NOT* writing, if you know what I mean.

A few months back I made myself learn some D&D 3.5 basics and ran some games. I'm also reading the modern incarnation of the magazine.

It's like pulling teeth, but I am trying to put together one scenario at the moment a few words and scribbles at a time. I've not dropped it after a few weeks, so that's a hopeful sign. If I can get the thing working the way I want to, I plan to send a proposal to DUNGEON, but there's no guarantee of course that it will be considered up to scratch when / if it gets there.

My rabble could probably do with some rousing, btw... :confused:

Akrasia, have you ever been to Dublin/Trinity before? I was there a few years ago doing some work for the Bank of Ireland and it was really beutiful. Unfortunately my work schedule was rather intense and I didn't get the chance to do much sightseeing. The one place they did take me to was Johnny Fox's, a pub up in the hills. What a fantastic place. Sawdust on the floor, music in the 'Wooley Room' (I think that is what it was called if I remember correctly.) and Guiness flowing non-stop.

Good luck finding a gaming group!

-Brund

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads