Dude Where's My Ring? (DM: garyh, Judge: Ozymandias79)

RedBeardJim

First Post
"We'll head back to the tavern, that back room should still be available. You still have the ring, Mikara?" says Morvannon as he hefts the rod, absently twirling it in his hand.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Acrid oders are not enough to deter Mikara. Her eyebrows shoot up as she rummages through the foul-smelling bag and withdraws the bow.

She rewraps the bag around its contents and tosses it to Mangus.

"Rod and staff comfort
but the bow prevents the need
I have made my choice.

Now to the hang-ed man to throw our paper in the fire,
and wait for our employer to collect his sole desire."

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=Kamotz]
The clerk at the Temple of Lauto relieves you of your burden, the looks at you strangely. "I can sense that you are of the faith, and you've done your duty well, but you wear no sign. Have you lost your sigil?" she asks. Without waiting for an answer, she rummages in her desk and pulls out a small emblem on a chain - a holy symbol of Lauto. "Wear this to proclaim your faith," she admonishes. "The servants of Death are oft misundersood, but Lauto commands us not to hide our darkness, but by example to be an exemplar to prove that Death is but a part of Life."

As your fingers close over the symbol, however, you feel differently. A presence uncurls in your head - not a voice, exactly, but a feeling of great will and intention. You are my favoured child, it says, and great things are before you. Your path will be long and hard, and Hell lies at the end of it. Be ready!

The presence vanishes, but the amulet pulses in your hand and you feel the barest echo of the power still within it. You realize that you have fallen to your knees, and the acolyte has rushed over to stand worriedly over you. She doesn't seem to notice anything unusual about the symbol.

[sblock=OOC]
The symbol is now a Holy Symbol +1. When you're ready to leave here, you'll arrive back at the Hanged Man just as Reggie does so you won't miss the denouement.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

As Kamotz carts the body off to the Temple of Lauto, the rest of you make your way back to the Hanged Man, where a crowd of people are standing around gawking at two idiots punching each other. You bypass the crowd and slip into the back room.

You scribble a note to Reggie and settle down to wait. To your surprise, he appears in just a few minutes, hair and clothes rumpled. "You must really like that magic paper," he yawns. "You could have just come upstairs and knocked on my door."

[sblock=OOC]
I re-read the Back Room thread, and it turns out that when Reggie gave you the paper, he also said he was getting a room here at the tavern for the duration - and he gave you a crystal that would teleport you back here. So that bit with the guard wasn't really necessary. Oops.
[/sblock]

"So... um... you say you found my ring? And... I know I said it wasn't important, but... Gwendolyn? I confess, I said I didn't care any more, but I WAS hoping to see her again... maybe..."

His face pales when you tell him what happened to her. "But that's HORRIBLE! Oh, what did she get herself mixed up in? Abducted by orcs! Could that have happened to ME? I suppose mother was right, she really WASN'T our kind of girl." He sighs. "Well, let's have an end to this." He pulls out a large purse and drops it on the table. "500 gold for the ring and then I'll be on my way. That's what we agreed, isn't it?"

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Vrrsk't introduces himself to Reggie: "Vrrsk't. I joined the group before we headed into the woods. I'm not really sure what's going on here, but it sounds like you've suffered a loss. My condolences."

That said, he waits patiently by the door for any negotiations that the rest of the group feels the need to take care of, one ear focused on the goings-on in the main room of the inn.

CaBaNa

First Post
Entering with a strange look on his face, Kamotz casts an even more odd look toward Magnus. Eventually training his eyes on the bag.
I saw death, so our original fee is pleasing enough to me. If there is nothing else, I go back to the temple, I feel a need to rest in Death's presence.

Kamotz waits for someone to reply, if there are no objections he collects his reward and shuffles out of the bar.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=Reward]
Ok, there are other adventures recruiting so let's not drag this out any longer.

XP:

Skill Challenge 1: 500 XP (shared by all but Vrrsk't) = 100 each
Skill Challenge 2: 500 XP (shared by all but Tristan) = 100 each
Minor Quest: returning the ring to Reggie: 100 XP each (all but Tristan)
Minor Quest: returning Dennis to the Red Boots: 100 XP each (all but Tristan)
Time XP: 2 1/3 months for Tristan (Feb. 23 to April 3) = 193; 1 1/3 months for Vrissk't (May 12 to June 25) = 110; 4 months for everyone else (Feb. 23 to June 25) = 332

Total:
Tristan: 293 XP
Vrissk't: 410 XP
Everyone else: 732 XP

Treasure:
520 gp
silver necklace (worth 50 gp)
fine sketch of Gwendolyn (worth 50 gp)
Magic Rod +1
Magic Staff +1
Magic Longbow +1
Magic Holy Symbol +1

Maybe a little overgenerous considering you only did 2 skill challenges and no fighting, but I didn't want to punish you for having DM's drop out. Sorry to rush the ending, but I hope I was able to make the ending at least a little more interesting than, "You give up and everyone goes home."

As for the loose ends - Where did the portal go? What did the orcs want with Gwendolyn? - those are just hooks I left in for anyone who wants to expand on this adventure. I'm afraid some of your characters might be left with some nagging questions for a long time...
[/sblock]

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Vrrsk't counts out his hundred gold pieces, thanks Reggie, and heads back out into the tavern.

[sblock=OOC]
Thanks for wrapping everything up so quickly, JNC! Time to find another adventure for the irascible paladin...
[/sblock]

Ozymandias79

First Post
[sblock=Reward]
Ok, there are other adventures recruiting so let's not drag this out any longer.

XP:

Skill Challenge 1: 500 XP (shared by all but Vrrsk't) = 100 each
Skill Challenge 2: 500 XP (shared by all but Tristan) = 100 each
Minor Quest: returning the ring to Reggie: 100 XP each (all but Tristan)
Minor Quest: returning Dennis to the Red Boots: 100 XP each (all but Tristan)
Time XP: 2 1/3 months for Tristan (Feb. 23 to April 3) = 193; 1 1/3 months for Vrissk't (May 12 to June 25) = 110; 4 months for everyone else (Feb. 23 to June 25) = 332

Total:
Tristan: 293 XP
Vrissk't: 410 XP
Everyone else: 732 XP

Treasure:
520 gp
silver necklace (worth 50 gp)
fine sketch of Gwendolyn (worth 50 gp)
Magic Rod +1
Magic Staff +1
Magic Longbow +1
Magic Holy Symbol +1

Maybe a little overgenerous considering you only did 2 skill challenges and no fighting, but I didn't want to punish you for having DM's drop out. Sorry to rush the ending, but I hope I was able to make the ending at least a little more interesting than, "You give up and everyone goes home."

As for the loose ends - Where did the portal go? What did the orcs want with Gwendolyn? - those are just hooks I left in for anyone who wants to expand on this adventure. I'm afraid some of your characters might be left with some nagging questions for a long time...
[/sblock]

"I Approve Of The XP And The Treasure!!"

Oz79

Remove ads