• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Dump Stats in 4e?

frankthedm

First Post
WotC_Logan said:
If I told you what the current best and worst stats are, I don't think you'd believe me. :)
Oh i could. Str could easily become a dumpstat. Thanks to having level based damage bonuses, a High STR could easily be unneeded, Especially if there are alternate ways to get attack bonuses. If HP are given in large enough amounts to start with, Con may be nowhere near as needed as in 3E. All one has to do is make a Lot of the 4E Cool Powers tied to Cha and that will make it far less of a dump stat.

Irda Ranger

First Post
WotC_Logan said:
We've avoided dumpstattery pretty well (using a system that's more... fluid that 3.5), but there are still some that are better/worse.

If I told you what the current best and worst stats are, I don't think you'd believe me. :)
If it's STR that's the worst, the Half-Orc better not still have two stat penalties to "compensate" for his "uberness."

Because that would be broken. ;)

Agamon

Adventurer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
golden%20larch.jpg

The Larch.

LOL, I actually watched that ep yesterday...

frankthedm

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
If it's STR that's the worst, the Half-Orc better not still have two stat penalties to "compensate" for his "uberness."

Because that would be broken. ;)
Do we have a confirmation yet that Half orcs are in the 4E PHB?

Stalker0

Legend
What I'm hoping is that all stats will provide bonuses (and penalties) that have some hinderance on all classes.

Right now charisma is a big benefit to classes that rely on it, but is completely worthless for classes that don't. On the other hand we have con, which in most games is needed for everyone. I've never seen a character put an 8 in con with a point buy. Strength is similar, but at least encumbrance has SOME penalty on the wizard.

hong

WotC's bitch
I think it would be cool if 4E reduced the importance of high stats compared to 3E. Dump stats aren't so much of a problem, it's people running around with 30 Cha or 30 Str that really hurts my suspension of disbelief. Maybe a cap on how high stats can go would be a good thing.

Rechan

Adventurer
hong said:
I think it would be cool if 4E reduced the importance of high stats compared to 3E. Dump stats aren't so much of a problem, it's people running around with 30 Cha or 30 Str that really hurts my suspension of disbelief. Maybe a cap on how high stats can go would be a good thing.
Or more importantly, how high you need those stats.

A wizard can't even cast X level spell without having 1X in the ability, for instance. And by the time you're X level, you need to have your ability at X+2 just so you can have DCs worth anything.

I am not sure where I heard it, but I think that they are getting rid of Multiple Ability Dependency (MAD) for classes. So a Paladin won't need a high Str and Cha to be a good Paladin.

The Grackle

First Post
frankthedm said:
Oh i could. Str could easily become a dumpstat. Thanks to having level based damage bonuses, a High STR could easily be unneeded, Especially if there are alternate ways to get attack bonuses. If HP are given in large enough amounts to start with, Con may be nowhere near as needed as in 3E. All one has to do is make a Lot of the 4E Cool Powers tied to Cha and that will make it far less of a dump stat.

That would be my guess.

Remove ads