• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Dump Stats in 4e?

Jackelope King

First Post
WotC_Logan said:
We've avoided dumpstattery pretty well (using a system that's more... fluid that 3.5), but there are still some that are better/worse.

If I told you what the current best and worst stats are, I don't think you'd believe me. :)
My guess: Strength is the current worst stat (especially if the new per-encounter "powers" enable you to gain bonuses to hit and damage in such a way that replicate or surplant Strength) and Wisdom is the current best (if those new powers are "derived" from wisdom, and especially if Will doesn't move over to being based on Charisma).

Irda Ranger

First Post
Baumi said:
Even if you ignore Skills, I'm sure there will be some new uses for Charisma like Leadership Maneuvers and we still have the old classics like Turn Undead. There is also the talk about a Warlord Class, I'm sure he will need Charisma or he wouldn't be a Leader...
Indeed. You wouldn't be much of a "Leader" with CHR as a dump stat.

The Leader role includes Cleric and Warlord. We also still have Sorcerers. I'm sure CHR will be just fine.

Moreover, we know there will be advanced "social interaction" mechanics, which I'm sure CHR will play a role in.

Zimri

First Post
Gort said:
Whew. Go through a lot of characters? :)

So basiclly the only way to be hit would be for the enemy to roll a nat 20, which is basically a crit, which is double damage, which your HPs won't be able to withstand...

Nope not especially many and we have more "combat" encounters than other encounters And I am hoping 4e (assuming saga rules) will balance that out somewhat. I'll freely admit my philosophy is not one that works with point buy especially since I play characters with MAD (monk, rogue, ascetic rogue) most of the time. So classes with middle of the road HP to start with. We choose to roll stats and I have been lucky enough to get some fairly awesome arrays.

Doesn't always take a natural 20 to hit me and usually there or other threats that need taken out before me.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think my PCs started out with good charisma:
16-rogue/warlock
15-cleric (dwarf)
8-tree

*However*, I believe Cha and Wis to be prime dump stats and have made rules to compensate. I introduced action points, the number gained modified by charisma, and moved initiative to wisdom.

It is my experience that characters in 3e who cast spells with charisma or use the skills based on it have good scores, and everyone else dumps it. Wisdom is somewhat needed for fighter-types and their saves as well as divine casters and rogues, but arcanists universally dump it, which I don't like. Con, Dex, and Int are important for basically everyone. Thus I hope 4e does something like I did to make all abilities at least a little bit meaningful for all characters.

rycanada said:
The Larch.

golden%20larch.jpg

The Larch.

A very simple way to remove chr as a dump stat could be done as the following:

The number of abilities you get from your martial/divine source is based on your mental focus: Wisdom. (Wisdom also links to a number of game important skills like whatever listen/spot morph into.)

Your Will saving throw is based on your force of will: Charisma.

Remove ads