DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

I saw it like 2 or 3 weeks back. I went with a friend of mine who knew nothing about Dune, and her boyfriend, who's a fan (like me).

I ended up glad that my wife didn't come along, as the plot would have been rather hard to follow (she never read the books), and she wouldn't have enjoyed it). My friend stated, she like the movie OK enough, but didn't really get much of what was going on and certainly missed most of the subtleties, such as they were.

For me, I liked it, but I'm afraid it's just more proof that cool books (or rather book series) like that are just not suited for the cinema format. There is just so freaking much stuff and simply not enough space and time. So yeah, I get the "dumbed down" reference, though that's certainly not how I would phrase it.

I found the visuals quite OK. They were a lot more low-key and kinda dark and gritty than I had expected (worried - Hollywood, you know), so that's a plus. I don't see much reason to complain about the acting, seemed fine to me. I don't quite see how characters not wearing masks all the time can be a point of complaint. Seems like pure logistics to, not vanity.

That all said, I dearly hope they get to finish at least the first book. It'd be a shame if not.

PS: British accents in movies are fine :p

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I might go see it this weekend or next week in the theaters....but this really seems like it should have been on HBO or Apple+ as a series........just too much for a movie.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I might go see it this weekend or next week in the theaters....but this really seems like it should have been on HBO or Apple+ as a series........just too much for a movie.
It's so true. Leto getting offed could have been season 1s Ned Stark moment. Dune could have been a whole new GoT. Of course, we see what they did with that so maybe its for the best?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It's so true. Leto getting offed could have been season 1s Ned Stark moment. Dune could have been a whole new GoT. Of course, we see what they did with that so maybe its for the best?
It was great until it wasn't. We got 5-7 years of great tv, rather than 1 movie that would have been incoherent......but I get you.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Given that Herbert was from Tacoma, that is presumably how he intended them to be pronounced? As well as Doon, which was the name of the planet in the Lynch version.
Wait how else could you pronounce Dune?
They changed the term "jihad" to "crusade." It's was in one of the trailers.

I lost interest in anything they're doing after that point. It seems a small change but it illustrates all I need to know about how they approached the story and setting.
What on Earth?

Herschel

Adventurer
It was.......okay. The beginning has some issues, and the complete glossing over of the journey to Arakis or any interstellar travel was a bit jarring. Many of the things that may have been over explained in Lynch's version had none in this one. The Hunter Seeker was another. I know the shields play a lot, but it also seems odd that folks who have so much high-tech at their disposal resort to swords for infantry combat.

Doctor Yueh could have used a bit more character development, as well. his betrayal didn't seem epic at all. He was basically a JAG. Lady Jessica was also weaker than expected as a character.

Oscar Isaac is very good, and it's gorgeous to watch. Stellen Skarsgard also makes a good, less cartoonish Baron.

The pacing was just weird. It's a sprawling and grandiose movie with an awful lot of rushed or skipped bits. It finds its groove much better later.

Jmarso

Adventurer
Just got back from an early showing of Dune. Pretty epic all around. My one 'thing' with this version is that it will easily confuse people who don't already know the story and/or have read the book. I really feel like this movie was made for Dune fans rather than the average moviegoing public, but it IS a very hard story to put to film. Will definitely be taking in second and maybe even third viewings. I want the second half made! The one thing I will give the '84 version over this one is the music by Toto / Brian Eno- that wasn't going to be topped, no how, no way.

Remove ads