DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
As a fan of cinema, especially camera work it is such a beautiful movie. Damn near every shot was immaculate. The score was amazing. I was really impressed with it from a technical standpoint.

I am still processing what I feel about the storytelling. I like that things are given time to breath. It almost feels more art film than blockbuster.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I don't think Herbert ever really describes them in detail or explains how they work. It could, for example, be a brand name for an antigrav vehicle.
I don't have the books in front of me, but I'm pretty sure Herbert intended them to be actual flapping-wing ornithopters. Here's a bit from some random website that pulls some quotes from the book (I can't doublecheck the veracity of this, though!):

Ornithopters in Dune

In Frank Herbert's, Dune, we are first introduced to the ornithopter by the first Reverend Mother during her tests of Paul, but we don't see it in action or get any description of it until Liet Kynes meets with Duke Leto. The aircraft is described as being similar to an insect that hums softly from the jets running in their idle state, "An unmarked ornithopter squatted nearby, humming softly on standby like a somnolent insect. (Herbert)" We get more evidence to the similarities to an insect and these aircraft from Hawat's perspective among the fremen, "The captured 'thopter took off with a lurching flap of wings, angled upward to the south in a steep, wing-tucked climb." The aircraft's wings are specifically described as flapping wings paralleling that of the ornithopter. A definite description showing the design of Dune's ornithopter is when Duke Leto is trying to save a group of Fremen from a worm on Arrakis, "He broke off as the Duke kicked on the jet brakes. The ship bucked as its tail pods whispered to silence. Stub wings elongated, cupped the air. The craft became a full 'thopter as the Duke banked it, holding the wings to a gentle beat. (Herbert)" The ornithopter is described as cupping the air the same way a bird's flapping would while the wings hold a gentle beat as they flap. A characteristic of these aircraft is their ability to hover similar to a flying insect or hummingbird, "Flame streaked upward to the hovering 'thopters." The other significant description of these aircraft is their use of jet propulsion, "Paul fed more power to the jetpods. The 'thopter banked, sinking them into their seats as a dark wall lifted against the stars ahead. He gave the craft more wing, more power. Another burst of lifting wingbeats and they came out over rocks. (Herbert)" This differs from the general definition of an ornithopter, which relies solely on the flapping action to produce thrust.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As a fan of cinema, especially camera work it is such a beautiful movie. Damn near every shot was immaculate. The score was amazing. I was really impressed with it from a technical standpoint.

I am still processing what I feel about the storytelling. I like that things are given time to breath. It almost feels more art film than blockbuster.
Agreed. The ambiance is well maintained in myriad of elements from shots to score.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I love you all so much! I chuckled reading these incredibly nuanced reviews. Most of you have great points. However, when I sit back and think about it, I would say this film is a tremendous achievement and could at least be in the running to be the first science fiction film to win an Academy Award for best picture. I read the first novel years ago and loved it. I liked the Lynch film, but I just rewatched it yesterday and I have to admit I winced more than once: I am not sure it holds up to what my memory of it was, although it is very admirable. But this Villeneuve film is a true cinematic achievement...so engrossing and taunt with suspense in each moment. Tragic in its proportions!

Cheers and keep 'em rolling! (y)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What did folks think of the eye color hue? For the sure the least stated of the Dune adaptions. I liked it, but I'm not sure if I like it more pronounced better. May get a better exposure in part II.

Side note: I thought the ornithopters were a bit fanciful for a civilization that obviously controls gravity, but they were pretty cool! In a theater with good Dolby you felt them coming and going in every pore of your body.
It looks like they are consistently not fielding anything with Holtzman field generators (shields, antigrav suspensors) in the desert areas, which fits the fictional conceit that the fields drive worms to frenzy, and sandstorms tend to short them out too. Hence, more primitive tech like ornithopters and balloon-assisted carryalls.

Remove ads