DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Jeff Goldstein, distribution chief for Warner Bros. "Once we get out of the pandemic, if we have a movie like this, clearly you'd want to go into theatres first. There's no question of that."

"Goldstein estimated the film would have debuted with approximately 20 per cent more in box office had it not also been streaming simultaneously. (The studio didn't release streaming figures.)"

Source CBC.ca: https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/despite-hybrid-release-dune-draws-well-1.6223948

Ok i went in to this knowing hardly anything about the previous movie (i tried to watch the original a few years back and its bad)/didnt read books

things i liked
Oscar Isaac was probably the best performer in the movie and the beard works! could totally see him being cast in a medieval movie

things i dont understand
Vladmir- Why does he setup Letos family? Dont want to spoil things but his servant gives a look when the doors close but then all is ok?
the planet itself-Do the people such as Thufir knowingly hide how bad things are from Leto? Are the worms (one in particular judging Paul ? why was it looking at him?)
Was Pauls battle with Stilgars people in the books?
Josh Brolins character. I think i lost track of what happened to him
Who was Momoas character? how was he tied into the chain of command

things i didnt like
it was slow at times. Lots times battles seem over and then new waves just spring up.
shields and darts . battles made no sense
One minute you need a toob in your nose and then sometimes you dont
the thumper? was that supposed to mimic the rabbit? seriously its like a whale chasing an ant to food?
it wasnt really explained why one group was motivated to destroy the other? Theres this false honor where you cant do something but then they break it anyway

I give the movie 4/10. Its not something i would recommend. It is not as good as the first few seasons of GOT. its not a good war movie. I was never on the edge of my seat. i wasnt wowed by any special effects

aco175

Legend
There are parts that could have been explained better to those who have not read the books. The older movie did some of this with the characters talking to themselves in their head and the movie-goer hearing it, but that felt a bit corny. The original movie wrapped up in like 20 minutes from where this movie left off. I assume the 2nd movie coming will expand on the 2 years Paul spends training the people and hopefully more on what it means to the rest of the galaxy.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Ok i went in to this knowing hardly anything about the previous movie (i tried to watch the original a few years back and its bad)/didnt read books

things i liked
Oscar Isaac was probably the best performer in the movie and the beard works! could totally see him being cast in a medieval movie

things i dont understand
Vladmir- Why does he setup Letos family? Dont want to spoil things but his servant gives a look when the doors close but then all is ok?
the planet itself-Do the people such as Thufir knowingly hide how bad things are from Leto? Are the worms (one in particular judging Paul ? why was it looking at him?)

things i didnt like
it was slow at times. Lots times battles seem over and then new waves just spring up.
the thumper? was that supposed to mimic the rabbit? seriously its like a whale chasing an ant to food?
it wasnt really explained why one group was motivated to destroy the other? Theres this false honor where you cant do something but then they break it anyway

I give the movie 4/10. Its not something i would recommend. It is not as good as the first few seasons of GOT. its not a good war movie. I was never on the edge of my seat. i wasnt wowed by any special effects
All of this is explained in the book. Its very difficult to get that all out in a 2.5 or even two 2.5 hour movies.

Things you dont understand:
Harkonen has been enemies with the Atredies for a long time. The growing influence of Leto finally hit the Emperor's radar so he decided to help set a trap.
The Fremen are like an occupied people. Some help, others dont. They have a prophesy about an off worlder that will save them. They think it might be Paul.
Yes, the fight with Stilger's people and death duel are in the book.
Brolin's character Gurney was lost in the fog of war. Maybe he is still alive?
Momoa was Duncan Idaho. A certain ranking member and trusted advisor to house Atredies.

Things you dont like:
The shields repel any fast moving object like a bullet or laser. You have to move in slowly to penetrate the shield. The darts seek their target and then slowly penetrate.
The stil suit use was a bit inconsistent. In the main city its need is not great. Out in the desert it is crucial.
Worms are just territorial and seek out disturbances its not about food.
The politics the director and writers decided to forgo explain the betrayals and war.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing

things i liked

things i dont understand

things i didnt like

When I saw the Lynch movie when it came out I didn't understand much. I decided to read the Dune book to dig deeper into the universe of Dune.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Saw this Sunday in IMAX with the wife and kids, and we all loved it. Villeneuve was the right person for this job.

Had only read the first book decades ago, remembered almost nothing, but wasn't confused by anything. It held my attention firmly throughout. The scale of everything was mesmerizing.

I will, however, be refering to IMAX as SuperLoud-o-Scope from now on.

Stalker0

Legend
Meh, they were always going to have issues ending it because all the whiny maggot fandumb factions who weren't going to be happy unless their fanfic ending was the show's. It became fashionable to pile on and while a couple of things may have felt rushed, it made sense in a Martin-esque way.
While I could right paragraphs and paragraphs about what’s wrong with that season, I can summarize it in this way:

the beats of the ending are not the problem, I agree that could be how the books end. My issue is the journey, the plot moves so quickly that it is no longer driven by characters (a hallmark of the early seasons) and the twists are so quick that they shatter disbelief.

case in point: the fact that Daenaeryes goes bad is not the issue, I could believe that. The fact that she does in the way shown, at that moment, that quickly…is beyond belief.

Remove ads