DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
In French Villeneuve confirmed the news : «Je viens de recevoir des nouvelles de Legendary. Nous allons officiellement de l’avant avec Dune : Part Two, a affirmé le réalisateur québécois dans un communiqué. C’était mon rêve d’adapter le roman Dune de Frank Herbert, et je dois remercier les fans, la distribution, l’équipe de production, Legendary et Warner Bros. pour leur soutien à ce rêve. Ce n’est que le début.»

Translation:
I just heard from Legendary. We're officially moving forward with Dune: Part Two, the Quebec director said in a statement. It was my dream to adapt Frank Herbert's Dune novel, and I have to thank the fans, the cast, the production crew, Legendary and Warner Bros. for their support of this dream. This is just the beginning.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ouch. That film was not for me. It went on for about 4 days, mainly 45-minute glowing orange slow motion sandunes to loud synth music and trippy visions. And I thought No Time To Die felt long! I do hope Ghostbusters is snappy 90 minutes.

The first couple of hours were OK. The third hour in the desert with all the synth music and trippy visions was torture for me.

But if liked the slow parts of Bladerunner 2049 you’re in for a treat.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Ouch. That film was not for me. It went on for about 4 days, mainly 45-minute glowing orange slow motion sandunes to loud synth music and trippy visions. And I thought No Time To Die felt long! I do hope Ghostbusters is snappy 90 minutes.

The first couple of hours were OK. The third hour in the desert with all the synth music and trippy visions was torture for me.

But if liked the slow parts of Bladerunner 2049 you’re in for a treat.
BR2049 was the best movie to come out in at least the last 10 years...

Herschel

Adventurer
Ok i went in to this knowing hardly anything about the previous movie (i tried to watch the original a few years back and its bad)/didnt read books

things i liked
Oscar Isaac was probably the best performer in the movie and the beard works! could totally see him being cast in a medieval movie

things i dont understand
Vladmir- Why does he setup Letos family? Dont want to spoil things but his servant gives a look when the doors close but then all is ok?
the planet itself-Do the people such as Thufir knowingly hide how bad things are from Leto? Are the worms (one in particular judging Paul ? why was it looking at him?)
Was Pauls battle with Stilgars people in the books?
Josh Brolins character. I think i lost track of what happened to him
Who was Momoas character? how was he tied into the chain of command

things i didnt like
it was slow at times. Lots times battles seem over and then new waves just spring up.
shields and darts . battles made no sense
One minute you need a toob in your nose and then sometimes you dont
the thumper? was that supposed to mimic the rabbit? seriously its like a whale chasing an ant to food?
it wasnt really explained why one group was motivated to destroy the other? Theres this false honor where you cant do something but then they break it anyway

I give the movie 4/10. Its not something i would recommend. It is not as good as the first few seasons of GOT. its not a good war movie. I was never on the edge of my seat. i wasnt wowed by any special effects
Even though I had foreknowledge, a lot of these are my points, as well. So many important points were throw-away bits.
1. "Well, because they're our ancient enemy." (Don't worry, we'll throw in an unexplained plot here in a bit)
2. "We're here now." (Nothing about folding space and the wormholes other than the throw-away narration.
3. "Is that an armored mosquito?" (The hunter seeker scene was beautiful, but emotionally flat)
4. "Damn the spice!" (well, yeah, isn't saving the workers the most important and usual thing? They're even harder to replace on this desolate planet, right?)
5. "What's a thumper?" (Worms' got rhythm, yo)
6. "Doctor WTF?" (He's not a rando, just trust us!)
7. "They have lasers and spaceships, why are they fighting with swords?" (Slow dancing with a crysknife FTW)
8. "So, the emperor's soldiers are joining the Harkonens why?"
9. "Cool music and all, but Atreides sure doesn't sound Scottish."
10. "So, she defied her galactically-powerful order to give Leto an heir and is a power herself, but she's worried and crying all the time?"
11. "Why are we going" (Because the emperor told us to, and because we'll get a cool ceremony photo op for saying yes)
12. "Oh, so now you tell me the emperor told us to come here and get spice production back up, yet there's a bunch of sabotage going on and the equipment is old. Is the emperor not that powerful or should we be worried?"

Remove ads