• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon #114 - Mad God's Key (spoilers likely)

Wraith Form

Explorer
Hi. Dms who have run this (or players who have been subjecte--err, played in this), what were your experiences? Anything to be concerned about? Did the chase go over well?

Any advice, comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Overall I enjoyed the adventure, but the first half was far stronger than the second. After a sessions of racing accross the bay and fighting halfling rogues in sheet-filled rooms, the crypt at the end was something of a let down.

Mitchbones

First Post
My players also loved playing it, while I had a blast running it. One of the funnest times I have had running a premade adventure(haven't ran very much though). I did however cut the ending short, I got about 4 new players when they were in the hideout and said that the gang leader had the key and wanted to take over the city.

Edit: The chase scene was very funny for me. I was running a game online, and the cleric slipped on the fisherman's boat about 4 times, and the group capsised one of the rafts. She caught up and did a critical finishing him. Very hilarious, her new nickname is clumsy.

Last edited:

arscott

First Post
That reminds me. I saw a story hour a while back that adapted Mad God's Key for a Victorian England setting that included elements of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell and a few other fantasy books. Anyone know where I can find it?

Patrick O'Duffy

First Post
I haven't run the whole adventure as written, but I'm cheerfully plagarizing the pier-chase scene for Sunday's session - transplanting it to Sharn, and having it be a chase across airskiffs and window ledges, hundreds of feet up a tower.

Wraith Form

Explorer
arscott said:
That reminds me. I saw a story hour a while back that adapted Mad God's Key for a Victorian England setting that included elements of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell and a few other fantasy books. Anyone know where I can find it?
Once I'm home I'll post the link.

Later: see post #11 below. ;)

Last edited:

Wraith Form

Explorer
Patrick O'Duffy said:
I haven't run the whole adventure as written, but I'm cheerfully plagarizing the pier-chase scene for Sunday's session - transplanting it to Sharn, and having it be a chase across airskiffs and window ledges, hundreds of feet up a tower.
Ouch.

mis-step = *splat*

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I ran the first 2 acts of Mad God's Key as the introductory adventure of my Dungeons and Dragnet: Sharn Freelance Police game. The dock chase took place at the actual docks, but the best part was the theives' hideout - I renamed them the Green Gauntlet Gang to suggest ties to the Emerald Claw, and they had a lot of fun with unwise splitting up and running duels.

I stole the name of the Vecna cultist and made him the former boss of the leader of the gang - Veltargo the Crimson Sorcerer. They interrogated him in prison to find the hideout, and he escaped a few sessions later to take his bloody revenge.

Demiurge out.

Patrick O'Duffy

First Post
Wraith Form said:
Ouch.

mis-step = *splat*

Well, yes and no. I'm hedging my bets, since I'd prefer none of the PCs to die from a bad Jump check. Some bridges in Sharn have permanent feather fall wards built-in, so anything/anyone falling onto one gets slowed to a softer landing - and by sheer coincidence, the chase will happen above such a bridge.

Not that any of the PCs - or the players - know that.

Remove ads