• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon #114 - Mad God's Key (spoilers likely)

Agamon

Adventurer
This adventure was great. I ran it twice for Living Greyhawk. The chase through the piers was a lot of fun both times.

I have never played in it or ran it but I remember thinking when I first saw it in Dungeon, "That looks like a kick-ass adventure. I'd really like to run that some day." The chase scene at the beginning looks like it would be great fun.

If I ever ran a new Freeport campaign I would definitely start it with Mad God's Key.

Olaf the Stout

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Wow, I cannot tell you guys how happy I am to see that this adventure has stood the test of time so well.

Alas, I never got around to writing the third part (the second was an RPGA event), but maybe one day.

Jason Bulmahn
Managing Editor of Dragon

Boddynock

First Post
My group had fun with it. The barge chase wasn't as much fun as some in-game creativity when it came to the thieves' headquarters - and in particular, the dynamic between the party and the 'ground-floor crew' that just had to be seen to be believed.

One problem I did have, however, was just how to run that encounter with the twin halflings in the veil-filled room. I mean, no spring attack, they tumble in, attack, and are then blitzed when the whole party thumps them. No challenge. (Tell me what I was doing wrong - it was clear that somebody had a good idea, but I just couldn't get my head around it.)

Mr Vergee

First Post
It really was an excellent adventure. This one is as good as it gets. Kudos to the author. I really had fun running it with my group.

Wraith Form

Explorer
IuztheEvil said:
Wow, I cannot tell you guys how happy I am to see that this adventure has stood the test of time so well.

Alas, I never got around to writing the third part (the second was an RPGA event), but maybe one day.

Jason Bulmahn
Managing Editor of Dragon
Please, PLEASE write and publish the sequels. Or offer them as PDFs. You could sell them on the new RPGNow/DriveThru site. I'd pay good, solid virtual PayPal cash money for them. Or get 'em into Dungeon. Please.

I had a LOT of fun running this adventure in Kingdoms of Kalamar. I took out the parts regarding the swarms (didn't feel up to running them), but one of the PCs bit the dust to a sneak attack by one of the halfling twins in the sheet room. The PCs retaliated by burning the place down. I left the bad guy's treasure chest (can't remember the name) in the charred ruins, and then the guy (who escaped out the window) followed the PCs, got caught and was interrogated for the info.

Veltargo, being a cleric of the god of death in KoK came back as a ghoul (since he was 3rd level IIRC), and was planning his revenge.

Psion

Adventurer
I just ran the first part of this adventure set in Bluffside.

In addition to using Bluffside, I use deities from Darkfuries Maelstrom[/b] setting (available in their own PDF, and also part of Darkfuries Temples & Shrines book). I replaced Boccob with Monlotos, and the cultists will likely be followers of Cordun (not a Darkfuries thing, but described in ENPub's Libram Equitis 2). The Great Library itself was another bit of an adaptation work, as in Bluffside, the equivalent to the Great Library is the temple of Monlotos, my Boccob surrogate. I decided to make the temple and the library adjacent instead of the same thing.

The dock chase went quicker than I expected. Irontusk got hung up on the spider barge, and then got zapped by a sleep spell.

The hideout proved fun. I put the hideout in the sea district of Sordadon. The stable got replaced by a boathouse. The PCs were too paranoid to stride into the gang hideout. So they climbed up to the second story, only after getting pretty well injured by the stirge swarm in the stable-cum-boathouse. On the second story. they had a LOT of trouble with the spider swarm (I guess their first real exposure to swarms). I thought they'd force an early end to this part of the adventure, but they got the wrong idea about clues and assumed the infirmary would be where the boss and bodyguards were. So they ended up going downstairs and exploring most of the first level.

After they made it up to the second level again, the fight with the halflings went interestingly. One of the twins got nailed by a lucky blind shot. Using my home grow crit system (now using my latest gaming goody), Tisa got nailed in the gut and could only hobble. Their strategy was shot, but Risa tried to make due by luring PCs across the trap doors... and managed to to dump 2 of them onto the first floor.

The PCs eventually cornered both halflings, got them to take them to the boss. When they learned more about the situation, they were able to get healing for the group (the party cleric has been good on tithing, fortunately; I treat tithing as "store credit" at temples...) They investigated the great library, and that's where I left off.

I'm not sure where I want to go with the pages of the book. I have a glimmer of an idea to tie three campaigns together. Basically, I am going to have the book speak of a "stars are right" kind of time when multiple dark gods will struggle to be free of their prisons. This will be my segue into the Freeport trilogy, as well as setting up a plot by some a serpentfolk cult.

My party was higher level than recommended, but the adventure proved pretty hard as it is. I only made a few things tougher, though I do intend the chief priest in the cairn to have at least one level in the Initiate of Cordun PrC (in Libram Equitis, to help tie it to later PrCs. That will make him 5th level at least.

I'm thinking of sprucing the tomb up a little. Anyone have any ideas? What did you all do with the book's missing pages as a campaign starter?

Last edited:

Remove ads