• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Adventure Path series in Greyhawk?

Sure, set it in Greyhawk or the Realms. A short sidebar for other settings would be nice, along the lines of "In Greyhawk, set this adventure _____ with these changes; In the Forgotten Realms, ______; In Kalamar, ____", etc. The notes could be fairly short -- location, name changes to key towns, citites, or groups, and perhaps which deities to use for NPCs. That way, we all have a known point to shift from.

NeuroZombie

Explorer
Since the latter adventures obviously take place in a jungle area (Cauldron itself is not so steamy itself since it is way up at the top of a Volcano..thus the 'cool, fall-like' weather). I placed the volcano in the Amedio Jungle...actually off the official map to the south where the mountians 'hook' back up into the jungle a bit. This is somewhat south of Matreyus Lake.
Thanks Caudor, just what I needed! I am familiar and have used both FR and Greyhawk in the past (as in 1st-2nd edition), but have yet to use a published setting in 3e, always a homebrew. Since the Cauldron setting is pretty much a single area, I didn't want to spend the time to flesh out an entire world, hence Greyhawk.

I also plan on (possibly) throwing in the Incursion stuff as well, making the campaign truly come to life as more is going on in the world other than the events in Cauldron. The Cauldron stuff, however, will be the primary focus until later levels, and I think the Amedio Jungles will be great as it is a ways from major areas. This will allow rumors of the Incursion to slowly filter in as the PCs adventure in cauldron.

Perfect! Thanks!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Erik Mona said:
This brings up something I've been thinking about for a few weeks, now. While we're a long way from the final installment in the Shackled City Adventure Path, I'm currently planning to start another Adventure Path immediately after the final episode in this one.

Cauldron isn't explicitly set anywhere in the World of Greyhawk. Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you? Keep in mind that the idea in the future will, as now, focus on adventures that are playable on their own as well as part of a series.

Thanks for the input,

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

I would prefer to see the next adventure path set specifically in the World fo Greyhawk, that is, in the core "continuity", for several reasons. First, I really miss the old Greyhawk setting. Its still around, but appears to have had Temporal Stasis cast on it by WotC. Having an Adventure Path set there would be a great way to add something new to the setting.

Also, given that Greyhawk has become so default, what with the Greyhawk deities being the deities used everywhere, etc. I don't see what it would hurt to just go ahead and say that it is specifically on Oerth.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Sure, set it in Greyhawk or the Realms. A short sidebar for other settings would be nice, along the lines of "In Greyhawk, set this adventure _____ with these changes; In the Forgotten Realms, ______; In Kalamar, ____", etc. The notes could be fairly short -- location, name changes to key towns, citites, or groups, and perhaps which deities to use for NPCs. That way, we all have a known point to shift from.

Best suggestion yet as far as I am concerned.

Krellic

Explorer
One of the nice things about the Cauldron adventure path is the unique feel of its setting. It kind of drags things together nicely and reading Dungeon there are certain plotlines that the DM can see coming or even go off on a tangent with whilst waiting for the next official installment.

I think that a generic setting is the way to go but particular side-bars for setting purposes would be a step forward.

Of course a really different Adventure Path would have its charms as well... :)

RBB

First Post
Yes, please set it in Greyhawk, Erik. As long as an adventure is reasonably adaptable, it is helpful to have it in a known setting. And Greyhawk is the logical (as well as my preferred) choice.

Also please publish some AU adventures, set in the Diamond Throne! An AU adventure path would be wonderful.

Edit: I too have loved the Shackled City series. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Explorer
I'd prefer it to be generic, not in Greyhawk. Many players use other published campaign settings or homebrew worlds, and various Greyhawkisms put in to appease Greyhawk fans, such as the Scarlet Brotherhood, wouldn't fit in many of those worlds.

I was wondering if there were any plans to publish a Dungeon anthology of the Adventure Path, with the entire Shackled City series in one volume, because that would be really cool.

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Erik Mona said:
This brings up something I've been thinking about for a few weeks, now. While we're a long way from the final installment in the Shackled City Adventure Path, I'm currently planning to start another Adventure Path immediately after the final episode in this one.

Cauldron isn't explicitly set anywhere in the World of Greyhawk. Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you? Keep in mind that the idea in the future will, as now, focus on adventures that are playable on their own as well as part of a series.

Thanks for the input,

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

I have nothing against generic, but a lot of people I play with are nostalgic for the Greyhawk setting and a new adventure series in Dungeon would be terrific! Especially if you got someone to write it who really knew how to keep the spirit of the Greyhawk setting intact.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads