• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Adventure Path series in Greyhawk?

NeuroZombie

Explorer
Just a question as to where everyone has placed the Shackled City Adventure Path from Dungeon Magazine in Greyhawk. I am about to run the adventure, but I also plan on adding in rumors and events in and around the location (from Living Greyhawk material, the Gazatteer and other sources) to the storyline to flesh out the world in the eyes of the players, so a good location is a definite requirement.

If anyone has used the series in Greyhawk, please leave a post.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I have been running the adventure path in Greyhawk. We have been playing mostly in the Verbobonc area in the Kron Hills, Lortmil Mountains, and along the Velverdyva.

For instance, I placed Oakhurst and the Sunless Citadel in the western Kron Hills. The Forge I placed in the lower Lortmils southwest of Oakhurst. Nightfang Spire is in the northern Lortmils.

NeuroZombie

Explorer
Thank you for the reply, but it seems I was not specific in my question. I meant for this post to be in regards to the Shackled City Adventure Path from Dungeon Magazine.

DOH!

I fixed my ?? above.

Thank you though! My son is going to run the Sunless Citedal soon, and I'll tell hime what you said! :)

caudor

Adventurer
NeuroZombie said:
Just a question as to where everyone has placed the Shackled City Adventure Path from Dungeon Magazine in Greyhawk. I am about to run the adventure, but I also plan on adding in rumors and events in and around the location (from Living Greyhawk material, the Gazatteer and other sources) to the storyline to flesh out the world in the eyes of the players, so a good location is a definite requirement.

If anyone has used the series in Greyhawk, please leave a post.

Thanks all!

Since the latter adventures obviously take place in a jungle area (Cauldron itself is not so steamy itself since it is way up at the top of a Volcano..thus the 'cool, fall-like' weather). I placed the volcano in the Amedio Jungle...actually off the official map to the south where the mountians 'hook' back up into the jungle a bit. This is somewhat south of Matreyus Lake.

This series of adventures is a blast. Good luck on your campaign!

Erik Mona

Adventurer
This brings up something I've been thinking about for a few weeks, now. While we're a long way from the final installment in the Shackled City Adventure Path, I'm currently planning to start another Adventure Path immediately after the final episode in this one.

Cauldron isn't explicitly set anywhere in the World of Greyhawk. Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you? Keep in mind that the idea in the future will, as now, focus on adventures that are playable on their own as well as part of a series.

Thanks for the input,

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

pogre

Legend
Erik Mona said:
Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you?

Erik,

Help me out here - what does core "continuity" mean?

Thanks.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Erik Mona said:
Cauldron isn't explicitly set anywhere in the World of Greyhawk. Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity,"...

If by this, do you mean, setting in Greyhawk, then my answer is sure, go ahead and use Greyhawk names so long as it's generic enough to adapt.

In my opinion, this would mean more generic than the current series. Having the campaign based in a city built inside the top of a volcano is extremely limiting, in my opinion. I was excited when you guys first announced that it would be an urban based campaign but my enthusiasm once I saw the nature of Cauldron.

pogre

Legend
Davelozzi said:
In my opinion, this would mean more generic than the current series. Having the campaign based in a city built inside the top of a volcano is extremely limiting, in my opinion. I was excited when you guys first announced that it would be an urban based campaign but my enthusiasm once I saw the nature of Cauldron.

I agree completely.

caudor

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
This brings up something I've been thinking about for a few weeks, now. While we're a long way from the final installment in the Shackled City Adventure Path, I'm currently planning to start another Adventure Path immediately after the final episode in this one.

Cauldron isn't explicitly set anywhere in the World of Greyhawk. Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you? Keep in mind that the idea in the future will, as now, focus on adventures that are playable on their own as well as part of a series.

Thanks for the input,

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

I like having adventures that are set in published setting like Greyhawk (or the Forgotten Realms) that I'm familiar with so I can simply choose a location, 'plug in', and go. I feel it adds value to my investment(s). I'm thinking that Greyhawk is the 'default' setting for Dungeon Magazine adventures, but I could be mistaken.

Of course, I also don't mind 'generic' adventures as long as they are easy to place without disrupting the campaign world (i.e. introducing new dieties, mapping vast areas, etc.) It just creates more work trying to place it somewhere.

I like the Shackled City adventures because I finally get to use an exotic locale in Greyhawk (a volcano in the jungle). Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Remove ads