• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Adventure Path series in Greyhawk?

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Mount Draco said:
While I think that the Adventure Path is a great idea, I would like to see a standard D&D setting. In fact, it is difficult to adapt to the Realms or to Greyhawk, just think of the second module in the series, it is almost impossible to adapt. :( My vote goes for a Forgotten Realms Adventure Path, with the Silver Marches as setting. :cool: There are many high level adventures set in the Realms, but there is not a pre-made campaign. I would like the new adventure path to fill that gap. :p

Ciao,
Maurizio
I don't understand what you mean. I ran Forge of Fury in the Realms with no problems.

johnsemlak

First Post
My vote is for the next path to be set in Greyhawk.

I don't see why it has to be a big deal, though. Adventures have always had the standard phrase at the beginning 'this adventure was designed for the World of Greyhawk setting but can be easily dropped into any campaign setting as the DM sees fit..."

I don't see much point in having a 'default' setting if official adventures, such as Dungeon mag or the original adventure path series, don't have a default location in the default setting.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
My vote is for Greyhawk

Set it in Greyhawk. I can probably convert it easily enough to another setting if I want to run it elsewhere.

Cheers!

Maggan

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Personally, I'd like to see a Realms adventure path series culminating in some huge event. Something not based in the Underdark or completely dungeon based. I'd like to get a real feel for traveling around the Realms adventuring.

Well, I'm late to this party, but for what it's worth...

Erik Mona said:
I'm currently planning to start another Adventure Path immediately after the final episode in this one.
That's great news!

Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you?
Sure, set it explicitly in Greyhawk. The red-headed stepchild of D&D settings needs more support. And Greyhawk is already sufficiently generic that anything set there can be adapted to another setting without much difficulty.

teitan

Legend
Erik Mona said:
This brings up something I've been thinking about for a few weeks, now. While we're a long way from the final installment in the Shackled City Adventure Path, I'm currently planning to start another Adventure Path immediately after the final episode in this one.

Cauldron isn't explicitly set anywhere in the World of Greyhawk. Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you? Keep in mind that the idea in the future will, as now, focus on adventures that are playable on their own as well as part of a series.

Thanks for the input,

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

Actually Erik, why not set an adventure path in a setting other than Greyhawk? I know it might be fun to do a Forgotten Realms path with my players because they are not interested in Greyhawk so much. I know you try to make them pretty easy to implement and most adventures could be easily placed in the Dalelands, but an FR specific adventure path could be just as cool and help the players in that they feel they are actually influencing the world as opposed to "in the novels Driz'zt already killed so and so so why is he in this adventure?" kind of tripe.

Jason

PatEllis15

First Post
Erik:

Stick it in Greyhawk. Treat it like most of the First Edition Greyhawk Mod's and it will be fine for most generic campaigns.

Forgotten Realms gets heaps of support.... Dungeon should cater to the generic setting... as Greyhawk is the Default D&D generic setting, it just seems to make the most sense.

As you have expressed elsewhere, and has been expressed in this thread, the key will probably be in introducing NEW villains.... that will make it easier to adapt into another world as opposed to the SB, or Iuz...

Taro Sarask

Pat E

Renaissance Man

First Post
For some reason, Greyhawk-as-the-default-setting always held a certain appeal for me. Internal consistency with the core rules, I guess. But I'd like to cast another vote for an alternate-setting-adaption sidebar. Or perhaps as a web enhancement. The web enhancements for the first two installements of the adventure path were great, Eric - why wasn't there one for the third installment?

waterprophet

First Post
Erik Mona said:
This brings up something I've been thinking about for a few weeks, now. While we're a long way from the final installment in the Shackled City Adventure Path, I'm currently planning to start another Adventure Path immediately after the final episode in this one.

Cauldron isn't explicitly set anywhere in the World of Greyhawk. Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you? Keep in mind that the idea in the future will, as now, focus on adventures that are playable on their own as well as part of a series.

I would like to say that the Shackled City Adventure Path is one of the most fabulous series of adventures I have seen in Dungeon for the past 3 years. I would even go as far as to say that the only problem that I have with it so far is that the adventures aren't published fast enough. I'd like to run it sometime, but I refuse to start until all of them are published. That way I can see which tangents are fully fleshed out in later adventures and steer PCs toward or away accordingly.

I like how generic the Shackled City is. I don't care much for Greyhawk, and I even found the inclusion of Greyhawk specific gods to be mildly irritating. However, I also realize that gods from other pantheons are easliy substituted, and that the writer needs SOMETHING to stick in there. I digress.

I can't wait to see what is coming up next. Can you give us a hint about the theme or mood, Eric? No details, of course, just something about the setting perhaps.

Cheers,

~magnus

Remove ads