• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Adventure Path series in Greyhawk?

Generic. Always go generic. You reach the most amount of people that way.

For every player who likes Greyhawk, or Forgotten Realms, or Dragonlance, or Dark Sun, or Raven Loft, there is another player who creates their own setting.

Go generic and let every dungeon masters tailor it for their own needs.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
A short sidebar for other settings would be nice, along the lines of "In Greyhawk, set this adventure _____ with these changes; In the Forgotten Realms, ______; In Kalamar, ____", etc. The notes could be fairly short -- location, name changes to key towns, citites, or groups, and perhaps which deities to use for NPCs. That way, we all have a known point to shift from.

Another vote for this type of format here. Set the adventures in Greyhawk - Oerth is generic enough that homebrew DMs should be able to throw the adventures into their world with little or no difficulty.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I voted for setting the next adventure in Greyhawk. Personally, the way I see it is like this - these adventures all have to be set somewhere...and if you're modifying the adventure for run in yoru homebrew world, then what does it matter if the magazine says its in Oerth or in an unnamed world, et al. You're changing it either way.

That said, the sidebar issue would probably make most people happy. The question then becomes, how lengthy and detailed are the sidebars? Just changing the city and such wouldn't be enough to satisfy anyone. Likewise, the people who actually want something to happen in Greyhawk (and, IMHO, are justified in that considering how frozen the setting is) may or may not be satisfied with something that small for their favorite setting.

GreyShadow

Explorer
Generic is good. I'd like sidebars or web enhancements giving conversions for different worlds.

If not by the Dungeon staff & module writers, then letting setting owners be allowed to do them.

ie: WW for conversion to Scarred Lands, Malhavoc for Diamond Throne, etc

thundershot

Adventurer
Keep the "adventure path" non-specific. However, definitely put sidebars telling how to use it with Greyhawk/Realms/Kalamar/etc. You can still put Greyhawk and Realms adventures in the book, just not the big multi-part ones, because to me, it's a real turn off for people like me who don't have TIME to alter adventures or write my own. I personally only skim the setting specific ones anyway, since it usually assumes you KNOW something about the setting...

Thanks
Chris

Olive

Explorer
Yuan-Ti said:
I have nothing against generic, but a lot of people I play with are nostalgic for the Greyhawk setting and a new adventure series in Dungeon would be terrific! Especially if you got someone to write it who really knew how to keep the spirit of the Greyhawk setting intact.

I agree with everything written above. Except none of my players are nostalgic for it, but I'd just like to see a adventure path that was in Greyhawk. I like the setting and think it would be cool.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Quite frankly, I don't think there's any such thing as a "generic" adventure. In any adventure you are inventing a world. Just look at the Shackled City for an example. It introduces many assumptions about geography and suchlike that a DM must then adapt to their own usage.

So, given a choice between a Greyhawk module to adapt or a "Generic" module to adapt, I really don't see a difference. You'd do much better to run with Greyhawk, a familiar setting that even non-Greyhawk DMs would have an idea of and thus be able to adapt the adventure easier. (Greyhawk is as close as D&D gets to being "generic", anyway.)

The one thing to be wary of is the use of too many referential details that make the adventure hard to adapt to other settings. If the adventure requires two moons, an evil demigod running a kingdom, a sea of dust created by a magical apocalypse and suchlike, it's harder to deal with. But, this is the same problem a "generic" adventure has!

Greyhawk, please!

Cheers!

Mount Draco

First Post
Erik Mona said:
Cauldron isn't explicitly set anywhere in the World of Greyhawk. Would people prefer to see the next Adventure Path set in the core "continuity," or is that a less attractive option for you?

While I think that the Adventure Path is a great idea, I would like to see a standard D&D setting. In fact, it is difficult to adapt to the Realms or to Greyhawk, just think of the second module in the series, it is almost impossible to adapt. :( My vote goes for a Forgotten Realms Adventure Path, with the Silver Marches as setting. :cool: There are many high level adventures set in the Realms, but there is not a pre-made campaign. I would like the new adventure path to fill that gap. :p

Ciao,
Maurizio

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads