• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG from Goodman Games

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
At Anonycon, I used the DCC RPG playtest rules to run a combination of modules written for AD&D and Castles and Crusades; it was easy to convert stats on the fly when they were given in the text, and I called up the 3.5 SRD when I needed stats for wandering monsters. I was very pleased by this test of cross-compatibility, and also of how well the system supports "open-sandboxy-old-style-campaign-play". I wrote about the experience in this post at The Mule Abides.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
What's funny is that I've run lots of DCC's by them, just never using a d20 system. They turn out great modules and I say that as somebody who generally doesn't use a lot of modules (In particular I LOVE "Into the Wilds", Harley!). I'm glad to hear about this, not because I feel like I need a new system, but because it means they'll presumably keep pumping out great modules.

Harley Stroh

First Post
What's funny is that I've run lots of DCC's by them, just never using a d20 system. They turn out great modules and I say that as somebody who generally doesn't use a lot of modules (In particular I LOVE "Into the Wilds", Harley!). I'm glad to hear about this, not because I feel like I need a new system, but because it means they'll presumably keep pumping out great modules.

Thanks for the kind words, Rel! (Especially on Wilds. It's a favorite of mine, but also has a few author "face-palm" moments ...)

Joseph is planning on strong adventure support. And, interestingly for you Rel, the stat blocks are so short that your "dollar to word count" ratio will see a marked improvement.

//H

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Thanks for the kind words, Rel! (Especially on Wilds. It's a favorite of mine, but also has a few author "face-palm" moments ...)

Joseph is planning on strong adventure support. And, interestingly for you Rel, the stat blocks are so short that your "dollar to word count" ratio will see a marked improvement.

//H

That module is practically a mini-campaign! I recommend it frequently and it holds a special place in my heart as being the start of the first full fledged campaign I've run for my daughter (my wife plays with us too).

I've been running it with Savage Worlds and converting on the fly is a breeze. Please let us know if you have more DCC stuff coming out. I'm a fan.

darjr

I crit!
I love your idea of removing 'clerics' and having a wavy dagger wielding 'priest' of the spider god.

Same with wizards and other weapons.

Korgoth

First Post
Interesting. I find this phrasing:
It uses a Vancian magic system…if you use the term “Vancian” to mean “based on a reading of Vance’s original works,” not “what D&D does.”
especially intriguing. I'm a bit more ambivalent about all the extra dice, though.

Definitely will be keeping an eye on this!

Check this out:

Goodman Games • View topic - The DCC RPG and Spellslinging

wherein Goodman describes the magic system.

If that is the magic system, this game is going to rock on toast. Toast served by a bikini-clad Liv Tyler while flying on a rocket car through an Aerosmith video.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
If that is the magic system, this game is going to rock on toast. Toast served by a bikini-clad Liv Tyler while flying on a rocket car through an Aerosmith video.

Yeah, I'm really loving what I'm reading about the magic system.

Also, James Maliszewski over at GROGNARDIA managed to sell me for good on the extra dice in this post today.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads